What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-03-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
It would have been nice if I figured this out much earlier. It could have spared me a trip to the Wednesday church singing. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2014, 01:29 PM
About crepuscular rays:

"At sunset it is common to see rays or beams of sun light radiating from the sun. These are called crepuscular rays. The first thing to stress about crepuscular rays is that they are actually parallel beams of light, and not diverging as they appear. This is an illusion caused by perspective."

[Image: crep-rays-casey1.jpg]

and anticrepuscular rays: "Crepuscular rays can be up going, down going, even radiating. But less common is to see the rays after they have passed the observer. These are known as anticrepuscular rays because they diverge to the anti solar point. They are much weaker, and thus less commonly observed, because of the large amount of scattering which has already occurred by the time they reach the other horizon, resulting in a lower intensity light.".

[Image: Anticrepuscular%2Brays%2BAnna%2BMaria%2B...2B2011.jpg]

This is right on so, so many levels. And not just because I love the Portuguese word crepúsculo. Or Cesaria Evora's song Crepuscular Solitude. (Before people get some ideas, nothing personal about the lyrics. I just love caboverdean music and creole.)

Wind coming from the sea,
bring to me some happiness
in this cloudy
afternoon.

A love shower
to make flowering
a heart
that suffers for passion.

In the situation
of a humble life,
I contemplate
the Lady Happiness*.

Not even a glance
is able to find me
in the crowd
so lonely.

There are already people,
too many people
that suffer
because of the loneliness.

There are already people
that are close to dying
in the falling light
of a twilight.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
20-04-2014, 09:08 AM
About the spherical cow (no, am not talking about an overweight woman I happen to dislike. I'm way more creative than this when I can be bothered to be bitchy Drinking Beverage ):

"Milk production at a dairy farm was low, so the farmer wrote to the local university, asking for help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the physicist returned to the farm, saying to the farmer, "I have the solution, but it only works in the case of spherical cows in a vacuum"."

And then, there was this...

And this (for the record, a meerkat biteth like a serpent. (Which, I'm ashamed to admit, was hilarious to witness Blush ):

From there to someone called Yang Maoyuan was but a step. A step that made me wonder if I wouldn't have been better off if I hadn't learnt and seen any of this. Story of my life... Rolleyes

[Image: 025_zps79b33edd.jpg]

[Image: yang_maoyua_22.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_ksys7an8ef1qze1jro1_400.jpg]

20-04-2014, 09:17 AM
(20-04-2014 09:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  About the spherical cow (no, am not talking about an overweight woman I happen to dislike. I'm way more creative than this when I can be bothered to be bitchy Drinking Beverage ):

"Milk production at a dairy farm was low, so the farmer wrote to the local university, asking for help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the physicist returned to the farm, saying to the farmer, "I have the solution, but it only works in the case of spherical cows in a vacuum"."

And then, there was this...

And this (for the record, a meerkat biteth like a serpent. (Which, I'm ashamed to admit, was hilarious to witness Blush ):

From there to someone called Yang Maoyuan was but a step. A step that made me wonder if I wouldn't have been better off if I hadn't learnt and seen any of this. Story of my life... Rolleyes

[Image: 025_zps79b33edd.jpg]

[Image: yang_maoyua_22.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_ksys7an8ef1qze1jro1_400.jpg]

I miss you, girl!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
20-04-2014, 10:08 AM
(20-04-2014 09:17 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I miss you, girl!

Me, too - I seem to have misplaced myself inadvertently (or not) Rolleyes

(This totally made me go aww, btw. But don't tell anyone! [Image: icon_shh.gif])

And because I never come empty-handed (that's a Southern thing, we be warm, generous people. Or something): the pseudoscoprion.

"Pseudoscorpions are commonly known as “false scorpions” or “book scorpions”. They belong to the Arachanida class, and, as the name suggests, they are like scorpions but without a stinger on their back end. Pseudoscorpions don’t have sex: sperm transfer is indirect. Males deposit a spermatophore – a package of sperm – on the substrate somewhere and the females must come in contact with that package in order for fertilisation to occur. In some species, males will do dances with females and help her find the spermatophore.

These critters may have been first described by Aristotle, perhaps as they were wandering among scrolls, hence the name “book scorpion”
"

[Image: z6m96ykt-1396444919.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
20-04-2014, 10:26 AM
(20-04-2014 10:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-04-2014 09:17 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I miss you, girl!

Me, too - I seem to have misplaced myself inadvertently (or not) Rolleyes

(This totally made me go aww, btw. But don't tell anyone! [Image: icon_shh.gif])

And because I never come empty-handed (that's a Southern thing, we be warm, generous people. Or something): the pseudoscoprion.

"Pseudoscorpions are commonly known as “false scorpions” or “book scorpions”. They belong to the Arachanida class, and, as the name suggests, they are like scorpions but without a stinger on their back end. Pseudoscorpions don’t have sex: sperm transfer is indirect. Males deposit a spermatophore – a package of sperm – on the substrate somewhere and the females must come in contact with that package in order for fertilisation to occur. In some species, males will do dances with females and help her find the spermatophore.

These critters may have been first described by Aristotle, perhaps as they were wandering among scrolls, hence the name “book scorpion”
"

[Image: z6m96ykt-1396444919.jpg]

Weeping

That I really fascinating! I have been extensively researching Aristotle recently, so this was a really cool addition into my Aristotle Fun facts file.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
20-04-2014, 01:37 PM
What did I learn today ?

Well, that you dont piss off a barmaid, ifn ya wanna get some. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
20-04-2014, 01:49 PM
(20-04-2014 01:37 PM)War Horse Wrote:  What did I learn today ?

I would have thought you learned that years ago. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
20-04-2014, 02:39 PM
(20-04-2014 01:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-04-2014 01:37 PM)War Horse Wrote:  What did I learn today ?

I would have thought you learned that years ago. Tongue

No I'm a glutton for punishment..... *sigh* Blush

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
22-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Okay, I didn't learn it per se, but I did post a similar one (only with snow) in this thread, so I guess this is as good a place as any.

Andres Amador: "The American artist has been creating a series of new designs, spending hours painstakingly carving giant doodles on the beach, some spanning a massive 300 by 500 foot. He uses Google Earth to pick out the best beaches for his designs. He then patiently waits for a full moon to make sure tides are low enough for him to complete his design before it is washed away by the sea. Mr Amador carefully sketches each pattern and geometric design in a sketchbook, before recreating the grand design in the sand using nothing more than a garden rake.

He said: 'One day while on the beach and was explaining aspects of geometry to a friend, creating circles and triangles on the beach. It was then that it occurred to me that I could do these designs in the sand, that their size could be virtually unlimited and that the most perfect beach to work on was near to my home in San Francisco. My designs are inspired by patterns in nature, such as ripples in water, cracks in mud."

[Image: Sand-Paintings-By-Andreas-Amador-9.jpg?4c6d79]

[Image: Sand-Paintings-By-Andreas-Amador-8.jpg?4c6d79]

[Image: Sand-Paintings-By-Andreas-Amador-5.jpg?4c6d79]

[Image: andres-2.jpg]

[Image: article-0-12213457000005DC-9_964x524.jpg]

[Image: Sand-Paintings-By-Andreas-Amador-3.jpg?4c6d79]

[Image: Sand-Paintings-By-Andreas-Amador-1.jpg?4c6d79]

[Image: article-0-12212EB0000005DC-658_964x621.jpg]

[Image: andres-5.jpg]