What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Re: What Did You Learn Today?
[Image: c13f734ab9c68174ff2dcfc49f2a8bdb.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2015, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 08:04 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years' War.

This war, between the Netherlands and the Isles of Sicily is usually billed among the longest wars in human history. Indeed it was one of the least war-like wars as well. The fact whether it was a war at all is disputed, as the validity of declaration of war is doubted.
Either way, a peace treaty was signed in 1986, making an official end to the perhaps-not-a-war period between the two nations.

But that is not what I learned today.

Did you know that in 1985 a peace treaty was signed between Rome and Carthage? This peace treaty officially brought to an end a period of war which lasted either 2249 or 2134 years; the longest period of war in human history (the reason for the split being that some like to link the three Punic Wars as one period, instead of individual wars and thus I chose to do both).
The first war in a succession between the States of Rome and Carthage, the First Punic War began in 264 BCE, the last began in 149 BCE and technically ended in 146 BCE with the Battle of Carthage, in which the city was totally razed to the ground. However, there was no 'official' recorded declaration of the war's end; until 1985, when the Mayors of the cities of Rome and Carthage signed a peace treaty.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
14-01-2015, 08:01 AM
(14-01-2015 04:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years' War.

This war, between the Netherlands and the Isles of Sicily is usually billed among the longest wars in human history. Indeed it was one of the least war-like wars as well. The fact whether it was a war at all is disputed, as the validity of declaration of war is doubted.
Either way, a peace treaty was signed in 1986, making an official end to the perhaps-not-a-war period between the two nations.

Did you know that in 1985 a peace treaty was signed between Rome and Carthage? This peace treaty officially brought to an end a period of war which lasted either 2249 or 2134 years; the longest period of war in human history (the reason for the split being that some like to link the three Punic Wars as one period, instead of individual wars and thus I chose to do both).
The first war in a succession between the States of Rome and Carthage, the First Punic War began in 264 BCE, the last began in 149 BCE and technically ended in 146 BCE with the Battle of Carthage, in which the city was totally raised to the ground. However, there was no 'official' recorded declaration of the war's end; until 1985, when the Mayors of the cities of Rome and Carthage signed a peace treaty.

*razed

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2015, 08:05 AM
(14-01-2015 08:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 04:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years' War.

The first war in a succession between the States of Rome and Carthage, the First Punic War began in 264 BCE, the last began in 149 BCE and technically ended in 146 BCE with the Battle of Carthage, in which the city was totally raised to the ground. However, there was no 'official' recorded declaration of the war's end; until 1985, when the Mayors of the cities of Rome and Carthage signed a peace treaty.

*razed

[Image: hiding.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
14-01-2015, 08:17 AM
(14-01-2015 08:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  

*razed

You should ask Chas about the war FT, I'm sure he has some first hand accounts to regale us with. You know, like how the war started! Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-01-2015, 10:37 AM
(14-01-2015 08:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 08:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  *razed

You should ask Chas about the war FT, I'm sure he has some first hand accounts to regale us with. You know, like how the war started! Tongue

It all started when I told those little Roman fuckers to get off my lawn. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
14-01-2015, 04:17 PM
(14-01-2015 10:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 08:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You should ask Chas about the war FT, I'm sure he has some first hand accounts to regale us with. You know, like how the war started! Tongue

It all started when I told those little Roman fuckers to get off my lawn. Angry

Too bad for you that those Romans were so tenacious, huh?

04-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Today (or rather, yesterday, but it's still within an hour after 12 so who cares) I learned that the 'Three Kingdoms/Domains' I was taught in school is probably wrong.
And that gut fauna may have the ability to influence the host's state of mind.

04-03-2015, 08:08 AM
I've learned loom knitting today or at least began to learn. I've also listened to The Thinking Atheist podcast and learn about Unitarians. I knew nothing about them before.
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post
21-05-2015, 06:33 AM
...that in my parent's house there are over 100 religious artifacts. No shit, I counted them all, including the Ten Commandments on the refrigerator where #2 says "no graven images"...the irony is delicious. Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post