What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
26-06-2016, 04:37 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(26-06-2016 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 03:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That my uncle was apparently a really bad student in his Catholic high school. (He guessed he was Catholic when he married my aunt, because the church sent him a calendar each year, but that's another story.) He went to his 50th reunion and spotted one of the nuns he had as a teacher. He went to introduce himself and she said, "I remember you [uncle's name], you were such a bad boy." For a now 93 year old nun to remember how much she hated him, he really must not have exaggerated being a bad kid there. For his part he said she was a bitch then and still is 50 years later.

That made me laugh.
Happy to provide a laugh! From what he said, she paddled him when he was a student. And not in the way that some people enjoy.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
26-06-2016, 05:20 PM
(26-06-2016 04:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That made me laugh.
Happy to provide a laugh! From what he said, she paddled him when he was a student. And not in the way that some people enjoy.

I was stood on a chair, told to lift my skirt and paddled back of my thighs in 1st grade, with a ruler. In front of the whole class for not memorizing the correct bible verse and not paying attention -- which I thought I was. Shy

That teacher was ancient then, so I'm sure she's dust today.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
26-06-2016, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 09:58 PM by Fireball.)
This thread reminds of the violence we used to experience in the form of "paddling", in my school years, at the hands of school supervision. It never happened to me. I remember once in grade school where one of the teachers spanked my younger (by one year) brother. My dad (165 pounds, soaking wet) had that teacher (football player- as I recall, he would be about the same height, but maybe 220 pounds) backed into a janitor's closet, holding him by the throat, explaining that the spawn of his family will suffer far worse than what you can deliver at school, and don't touch another of my spawn. The message was understood. Not one of us suffered corporal punishment at school thereafter. A note sent home was sufficient, and they were few and far between. In retrospect, it is kind of a mystery why my dad wasn't imprisoned at some point in his life. Some of his brothers were.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
26-06-2016, 09:56 PM
(26-06-2016 05:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 04:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Happy to provide a laugh! From what he said, she paddled him when he was a student. And not in the way that some people enjoy.

I was stood on a chair, told to lift my skirt and paddled back of my thighs in 1st grade, with a ruler. In front of the whole class for not memorizing the correct bible verse and not paying attention -- which I thought I was. Shy

That kind of crap can't possibly end too soon. We have a joke in our house about one of our dogs (which unfortunately succumbed to cancer in February), Sadcryface who would come up to you looking for attention or to be picked up. Once she got your attention, and you went to pet her or pick her up, she would duck. I always joked, "Oh, that's right, I haven't beat my dog yet, today!" That little dog (nor any other pet we have ever had) was ever struck in anger. It was kind of a quirk, with her. Her sister would leap up into your arms if you clapped your hands. Boing! Big Grin
26-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Nothing.

I understand the cliche that someone always learns something new everyday.

I know when I learn something new, and nothing new was learned this day.
26-06-2016, 10:27 PM
(26-06-2016 10:16 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Nothing.

I understand the cliche that someone always learns something new everyday.

I know when I learn something new, and nothing new was learned this day.

It's not so much a cliche as advice.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-06-2016, 11:21 AM
(26-06-2016 05:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 04:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Happy to provide a laugh! From what he said, she paddled him when he was a student. And not in the way that some people enjoy.

Am I a terrible person that I really wish my nuns would have spanked some of the girls in my class?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-06-2016, 11:37 PM
I can't distract Momsby with pictures of cats.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-06-2016, 07:42 AM
(27-06-2016 11:21 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 05:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was stood on a chair, told to lift my skirt and paddled back of my thighs in 1st grade, with a ruler. In front of the whole class for not memorizing the correct bible verse and not paying attention -- which I thought I was. Shy

Am I a terrible person that I really wish my nuns would have spanked some of the girls in my class?

..... yes! Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
29-06-2016, 09:38 AM
I learned some stuff about statistics and also how to do a pivot table on excel and how to analyse data sets with it and also how to put more than one pivot table in the same tab on excel. Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post