What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
26-11-2016, 06:28 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(26-11-2016 06:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 03:35 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  [Image: 0Rtrwxj.jpg]

I took that photo at the end of April and had no earthly clue what it was. Until now.

Turns out, that is the remaining pupa casing of a Rain Moth

[Image: sunmoth1.jpg]

Rain moth larva, often refered to by some variation of Bardee grub, live in tunnels feeding off roots until it is time to undergo metamorphosis and emerge.

That's one big moth! Unless you have tiny hands. I'm surprised it didn't get stepped on, sitting there for 6 months. Or is it in a place where no one walks?

For clarification; that's not my hand, just a picture of a Rain moth from the internet. I should have said. But they are large bastards.

The moths emerge from their pupa and tunnels as adults in autumn, usually after rains, so they are long gone by now. Odds are the pupa remains I found were a day or so old when I took the picture all those aeons ago.

That said, I don't think the area I found it in is walked often. It's a small reserve near a bike/walking road, so people don't have much reason to go into the reserve proper, I just do because it's faster to get to the train station on the far side. Next autumn I'll explore there again to see if I could find more.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Via Judson's Abstract Algebra, I learned that having a basic knowledge of linear algebra along with understanding how to read and write mathematical proofs (two skills that I have taught myself), is mostly all that is needed to learn Abstract Algebra. Hence, I'm really looking forward to the challenge of teaching myself abstract algebra and engaging the world of mathematical ideas in a new, unfamiliar way.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
30-11-2016, 05:55 AM
I learned that I have been mispronouncing "detritus." Stress on the second syllable, long I. Not stress on the first syllable, short I.

Shoulda taken Latin instead of German.
30-11-2016, 06:02 AM
(29-11-2016 10:17 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  Via Judson's Abstract Algebra, I learned that having a basic knowledge of linear algebra along with understanding how to read and write mathematical proofs (two skills that I have taught myself), is mostly all that is needed to learn Abstract Algebra. Hence, I'm really looking forward to the challenge of teaching myself abstract algebra and engaging the world of mathematical ideas in a new, unfamiliar way.

I didn't know Van Johnson wrote a book?! Ohmy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-11-2016, 06:06 AM
I actually learned that too (is that the correct too to use?) Anyways that too much caffeine combined with a high stress environment can cause hallucinations. I also learned today that I am probably an asshole and am not entitled to my own opinions about religion. ( This last part according to my neighbor).
30-11-2016, 06:10 AM
(30-11-2016 06:06 AM)newwynter Wrote:  I actually learned that too (is that the correct too to use?) Anyways that too much caffeine combined with a high stress environment can cause hallucinations. I also learned today that I am probably an asshole and am not entitled to my own opinions about religion. ( This last part according to my neighbor).

And how, may I ask, did this, hmmm, "neighbour" slip it in, your coffee cup, without you knowing, eh? Eh eh eh?

I think we all, deserve an answer to this, most important of all, questions. Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Lol no my neighbor didn't slip anything into my coffee. Lol. I actually read an article sent to me by a friend. I will admit I briefly scrolled through. -High coffee intake can cause auditory hallucinations - hearing things that are not there - researchers from La Trobe University, Australia report in the journal Personality and Individual Differences, after measuring the effect of caffeine and stress with 92 non-clinical participants.Jun 8, 2011- that was just a brief part of the article. I didn't want to try to post a link and then get banned. My neighbor told me this morning as I was getting my paper that she had overheard my conversation I was having out on my back porch last night about my friends religion. She then proceeded to tell me on no uncertain terms that I'm an asshole and had no right to tell my friend I didn't believe in the "sky god" they worship because according to her analogy everyone is really agnostic and atheism is apparently just for snobby rich people???!!!
30-11-2016, 06:48 AM
That is the short version.
30-11-2016, 06:51 AM
The longer version includes her of course trying to use the old tactics of jesus believers- there has to be a creator because things like DNA and the eyes are so complex, big bang is just a theory, so on and so forth. It has come to a point that I have decided to move when it gets warmer here.
30-11-2016, 10:39 AM
(30-11-2016 06:47 AM)newwynter Wrote:  Lol no my neighbor didn't slip anything into my coffee. Lol. I actually read an article sent to me by a friend. I will admit I briefly scrolled through. -High coffee intake can cause auditory hallucinations - hearing things that are not there - researchers from La Trobe University, Australia report in the journal Personality and Individual Differences, after measuring the effect of caffeine and stress with 92 non-clinical participants.Jun 8, 2011- that was just a brief part of the article. I didn't want to try to post a link and then get banned. My neighbor told me this morning as I was getting my paper that she had overheard my conversation I was having out on my back porch last night about my friends religion. She then proceeded to tell me on no uncertain terms that I'm an asshole and had no right to tell my friend I didn't believe in the "sky god" they worship because according to her analogy everyone is really agnostic and atheism is apparently just for snobby rich people???!!!

Your neighbor is the asshole. But you already knew that. Yes