What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
30-11-2016, 10:43 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
I learned (yesterday) that I need a 4-wheel cart for my carving tool chest. I caught my heel on the little hand truck I am currently using, and the chest took a header. I went to pick it up, and it flipped over the other way. Dodgy Split the case, and the only thing holding it together is the cover my wife made. I did reconstructive surgery on it yesterday and will be bolstering the weak spots this morning. And making a 4-wheel cart with a strap to hold the chest on.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2016, 02:37 PM
What 4th degree sexual assault is in this state, a misdemeanor. As I was reading the definition out loud in class I didn't even realize I said aloud, "What the fuck?" until the laughter from every student.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
30-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Today I have learnt that learnt is a variant spelling of learned.
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyOdoors's post
02-12-2016, 03:05 PM
That I'm no longer a moderator on a Catholic message board; admin didn't even so much as send me a notice of the fact. I checked the Staff list to see if the others who don't participate much were de-modded, and nope, just me. Seems to have happened sometime soon after I disagreed with a Traddie.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
That you can live 60 days without food. And within that time, your body will start eating its own muscles and organs to gain energy. So starving to death is essentially your body eating itself.

I am a vegetarian, so this would be a particularly ironic way for me to die.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
02-12-2016, 07:09 PM
I learned today that humans are assholes- oh wait I ALREADY knew that. No, jokes aside, I learned today that the longest living animal under ideal circumstances is the immortal jellyfish. Here is a brief description: A very unique jellyfish which can revert back to its premature state when exposed to stress or injury. Whilst this means it is biologically immortal, in practice they don’t live forever and get injured and eaten just like other animals.
02-12-2016, 09:00 PM
(02-12-2016 03:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That I'm no longer a moderator on a Catholic message board; admin didn't even so much as send me a notice of the fact. I checked the Staff list to see if the others who don't participate much were de-modded, and nope, just me. Seems to have happened sometime soon after I disagreed with a Traddie.

What is a Traddie?
From what you've told us about your Catholic forum when it comes to mean-spirited it puts us to shame. Are you sure those are Christians over there? Silly me, of course they are.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-12-2016, 10:12 PM
(02-12-2016 09:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 03:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That I'm no longer a moderator on a Catholic message board; admin didn't even so much as send me a notice of the fact. I checked the Staff list to see if the others who don't participate much were de-modded, and nope, just me. Seems to have happened sometime soon after I disagreed with a Traddie.

What is a Traddie?
From what you've told us about your Catholic forum when it comes to mean-spirited it puts us to shame. Are you sure those are Christians over there? Silly me, of course they are.

IMO, the more one holds onto some "Central Tenet of One's Belief", the more of a blue-nose one is. This transcends even religious belief, and brings out shameful behavior. People are crazy, a lot of times.
02-12-2016, 10:15 PM
I reinforced an important math lesson: when writing a proof, never be afraid to get your hands dirty, brainstorm, and if necessary, write multiple drafts. In addition, don't be too reliant on any particular proof technique, as there could be other methods that are more direct and/or simpler: IMO, conveying complex ideas in a simple and concise manner is the mark of a scholar.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
03-12-2016, 10:02 AM
(02-12-2016 09:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

What is a Traddie?

Ah sorry, one of my pet nicknamed for Traditionalist Catholics, alongside "RadTrad" for Radical Traditionalists. Which probably would fall more in line with Fireball's core tenets thing, except how they define core tenets often says everything that happened in the Church in the 20th century is basically of the Devil. The one I disagreed with, and think may be the cause of the demotion (granted, it's also possible the admin went 'meh, I don't need this many mods' and just didn't think to send a PM), is basically only a step away from being a Sedevacantist, someone who believes the Pope isn't the Pope and that the See of Peter/Rome is vacant and not held by a "true" Bishop. Right now, he has a thread for instance, where he's trying to blast the Pope for not replying to four Traditionalist Cardinals who went and published their letter demanding clarifications on his last encyclical, saying the Pope must answer them. Also he's posted another thread where he says the Pope is out to continually denigrate Traditionalists. Seriously, if the Pope ever uses the words "legalism" or "rigidity" he assumes it's an attack on his flavor of Catholicism. Guy's also a fan of The Remnant newspaper; which unlike Majid Nawaaz, definitely deserves its Hate designation from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

(In another Catholic group on FB, not on that forum, someone just posted some anti-Semitic stuff of Mark Zuckerberg wearing a kippah and about to beat someone while calling them 'goy' and a 50 video series against the Second Vatican Council called "Smoke of Satan".)