What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
03-12-2016, 10:19 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Ice Crash is a badass spell.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I learned that the solenodon, an ancient, extant shrew-like mammal, is one of a few mammals with venemous saliva.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
23-12-2016, 07:34 PM
I learned my 19 year-old nephew is a furry. Yep.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
01-01-2017, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2017 02:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
That I'm a Canadian citizen. The Canadians say so. Woo hoo! now gimme some of that free healthcare bitches. What else can I get? They got a 40 acres and a mule program? Can I be mayor of Toronto next? Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Actually, I just looked up the word "galvanized" and discovered that the word comes from an Italian named Luigi Galvani. Who'd a thunk it!

Luigi Galvani was an Italian physician and physicist who, in the 1770s, studied the electrical nature of nerve impulses by applying electrical stimulation to frogs' leg muscles, causing them to contract. Although Galvani's theory that animal tissue contained an innate electrical impulse was disproven, the Italian word galvanismo came to describe a current of electricity especially when produced by chemical action. English speakers borrowed the word as galvanism around 1797; the verb galvanize appeared a few years later, in the early 19th century. Charlotte Brontë used the verb figuratively in her 1853 novel Villette: "Her approach always galvanized him to new and spasmodic life." These days, galvanize also means to cover metal with zinc or a zinc alloy to protect it from rust (as in galvanized carpentry nails).

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-01-2017, 03:56 PM
What a pizzle is. Basically, a swizzle stick. Though you probably shouldn't chew on it Rolleyes

[Image: 407px-Wappen_Appenzell_Innerrhoden_matt.svg.png]

The bear in the coat of arms of Appenzell is represented pizzled, and omission of this feature was seen as a grave insult. In 1579, the pizzle was forgotten by the printer of a calendar printed in Saint Gallen, which brought Appenzell to the brink of war with Saint Gallen.

[Image: w7okdd.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
07-01-2017, 09:17 AM
About Nanoputians. And all of a sudden, the world is a little (dare I say, nano Rolleyes ) bit better...
[Image: jo0349227n00001.gif]

What’s a NanoPutian? Well, see this lolchemistry image? It is a real organic molecule two nanometers. They look like people and are an entire class of molecules based on what they look like. There’s enough for a village of them. Stephanie H. Chanteau and James M. Tour, the chemists behind the creation of the NanoPutians, have written the most delightful synthesis paper I have ever read. There are phrases like, “formation of head”, “attachment of legs” and my most favourite phrase, “forming a more reactive underbelly” in the descriptions of the synthesis. Chemists with a sense of humour and fun.
If the name NanoPutians sounds familiar to you but you can’t quite figure out how, it is a nod from the authors to Jonathan Swift’s classic, Gulliver’s Travels.

[Image: the-nanoputians.png]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
07-01-2017, 11:44 AM
(07-01-2017 09:17 AM)Vera Wrote:  About Nanoputians. And all of a sudden, the world is a little (dare I say, nano Rolleyes ) bit better...

I got an idea for what I'm gonna 3D print now. Big Grin

[Image: anarchist_zpstxxa2c7k.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-01-2017, 01:15 PM
That, Girly, dear, makes absolutely no practical sense! A sling is a two-handed weapon. And where would it keep its ammunition, in that balaclava-thingy? I think you need to go back to the drawing (or printing) board...

[Image: religion-bibles-god-david_and_goliath-tr...52_low.jpg]

And speaking of shadows...

"The image of myself
grows gigantic on the wall
and against it
my miserable shadow."

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-01-2017, 02:56 PM
(07-01-2017 01:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  That, Girly, dear, makes absolutely no practical sense! A sling is a two-handed weapon. And where would it keep its ammunition, in that balaclava-thingy? I think you need to go back to the drawing (or printing) board...

[Image: religion-bibles-god-david_and_goliath-tr...52_low.jpg]

And speaking of shadows...

"The image of myself
grows gigantic on the wall
and against it
my miserable shadow."

A sling is a one-handed weapon.
What Girly drew is a slingshot, not a sling.
What David used was a sling, not a slingshot.

Slingshot:
[Image: Slingshot_(weapon).jpg]

Sling:
[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]