What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
07-01-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(07-01-2017 02:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  A sling is a one-handed weapon.
What Girly drew is a slingshot, not a sling.
What David used was a sling, not a slingshot.

Slingshot:
[Image: Slingshot_(weapon).jpg]

Sling:
[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Imagine my embarrassment. Drinking Beverage

Actually, David didn't use anything. It's all made-up bullcrap.

Or is the correct term bunk?

Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-01-2017, 03:19 PM
(07-01-2017 03:07 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 02:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  A sling is a one-handed weapon.
What Girly drew is a slingshot, not a sling.
What David used was a sling, not a slingshot.

Slingshot:
[Image: Slingshot_(weapon).jpg]

Sling:
[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Imagine my embarrassment. Drinking Beverage

Actually, David didn't use anything. It's all made-up bullcrap.

Or is the correct term bunk?

Drinking Beverage

"Made-up bullcrap" works for me. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Extreme Ownership
11-01-2017, 03:44 AM
I learned I am no longer able to stomach any kind of theism. And I decided to no longer be gentle. If ever I even was.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-01-2017, 06:05 PM
That… that there is a band called Evangenitals Unsure
… I… I’m not sure how I feel about this... (the description on their site sure as hell ain't helping none either. Blink )

Imagine if Johnny Cash, Bob Marley and Joan of Arc were one woman. Now, imagine that woman gathering a band of eclectic musicians on a crusade to expand the bounds of Country music. The Evangenitals, founded by playwright/director Juli Crockett and opera, jazz & gospel singer Lisa Dee are an alt-country/Americana love revolution made flesh for your listening pleasure. On a quixotic crusade in the key of life hell-bent on breaking hearts open, they are a genre-bending, ever-creating force of nature.

On a totally unrelated note (I swear! Velvet worms and slime cannons really aren’t examples of the euphemisms in one of my books. Honest to dog!)

Meet the velvet worm. It's twice as old as the dinosaurs, and has a slime cannon on its head.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(Banjo, I absolutely know how you feel. It's getting increasingly hard to take seriously even the best-intentioned of people who in this day and age (often despite the benefit of at least a decent education) refuse to let go of the vile dogma of millennia past. And the dogma itself is vile to its very core, despite the superficial varnish of centuries of civilisation and enlightenment:

The idea of hell was born of ignorance, brutality, fear cowardice, and revenge. This idea testifies that our remote ancestors were the lowest beasts. Only from dens, lairs, and caves, only from mouths filled with cruel fangs, only from hearts of fear and hatred, only from the conscience of hunger and lust, only from the lowest and most debased could come this cruel, heartless and bestial of all dogmas.)

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-01-2017, 05:38 PM
The slime cannon is the coolest thing ever! It's even better than sharks with laser beams on their heads.
20-01-2017, 05:05 AM
(19-01-2017 05:38 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The slime cannon is the coolest thing ever! It's even better than sharks with laser beams on their heads.

How about a praying mantis with 3D glasses? Or dung beetles in booties and caps? Or, my favourite of all, frogs in taffeta pants (Actually, this experiment is pure genius and I have all the respect in the world for that guy.)

[Image: Sexual-reproduction-scientists1.jpg]

[Image: frogeggs.jpg]

Though, granted, those are more accessories than weapons for tiny constriction Rolleyes

And speaking of constriction, how about a nose glove:

So what the heck is this thing? As numerous sources have already pointed out, this appears to be a proboscis or ribbon worm (of which there might be 1,000 different species).

Some quick facts: some species of ribbon worms may be the longest creatures on Earth and the big ones look like deep sea intestines. Well, there you go.

But what sets ribbon worms apart from all other worms is their namesake proboscis. This feeding appendage is held in a sheath or sac above a ribbon worm’s gut. When prey is detected, muscles rapidly contract and force fluid into the sheath, which turns the proboscis inside-out and forces it through the proboscis pore at the head of the worm. It wraps around prey and is then drawn in for a meal. In some species the proboscis can extend out 30 times the length the worm.

It would be like having a rubber glove inside your face that you could force outwards by blowing into it.

However, the worm in the above video is special. While ribbon worms distinguish themselves from other worms with their proboscis, ribbon worms of the species Gorgonorhynchus distinguish themselves from other ribbon worms with a particularly special proboscis. “The peculiarity of Gorgonorhynchus, distinguishing it from all other members of the group, is the branching proboscis,” writes J. F. G. Wheeler in a letter to Nature. It is this branching that is so astounding, and suggests this is the species of worm in the video.

Imagine you have a hole where your nose should be, and that hole is filled with a fleshy glove, with the fingers of the glove reaching into your head. Imagine blowing the glove outwards (turning it inside out in the process). Now, imagine that there are smaller gloves on the tips of the first glove’s fingers, and so on, and so on.

Summing up, the video above shows a ribbon worm, probably Gorgonorhynchus, everting a fractal nose glove. Writing that sentence was almost as fun as watching the video.

[Image: worm.gif]

(Whenever I watch a programme about astronomy and the end of the Solar System/Universe, I can't but feel sad that this unimaginably rich variety of life we have on our most wonderful planet will one day inevitably disappear. But such is life, fleeting both on a human and a universal scale, I guess…)

(Still beats the ungraspable horror of eternal life. By about a million light years Yes )

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
20-01-2017, 06:17 AM
I learned Snoopy looks cooler in sunnies than a praying mantis,

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-01-2017, 02:06 PM
About the Tusi couple: a mathematical device in which a small circle rotates inside a larger circle twice the diameter of the smaller circle. Rotations of the circles cause a point on the circumference of the smaller circle to oscillate back and forth in linear motion along a diameter of the larger circle,

[Image: tusicoup.gif]

Thanks to the very wonderful Jim Al-Khalili and the optical illusion below: This animated optical illusion looks like a circle of dots but every dot is simply moving in a straight line.

[Image: wWLVUDe.gif]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
21-01-2017, 05:37 PM
(21-01-2017 02:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  About the Tusi couple: a mathematical device in which a small circle rotates inside a larger circle twice the diameter of the smaller circle. Rotations of the circles cause a point on the circumference of the smaller circle to oscillate back and forth in linear motion along a diameter of the larger circle,

[Image: tusicoup.gif]

Cool find. Thumbsup

Note that every point on the circumference of the smaller circle oscillates along a diameter. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post