What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
21-01-2017, 07:07 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Down the street from where I live, there's a little house and in the window stands a huge mannequin. At first I thought it was a person standing there.

Each day it is wearing a different outfit, different hair...One day recently it was wearing snow pants, a sweater, holding ski poles. Another day it was dressed in a burka (maybe it was having a bad hair day?).

It's weird.

Today it was dressed like Snow White.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-01-2017, 09:17 PM
(21-01-2017 07:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Down the street from where I live, there's a little house and in the window stands a huge mannequin. At first I thought it was a person standing there.

Each day it is wearing a different outfit, different hair...One day recently it was wearing snow pants, a sweater, holding ski poles. Another day it was dressed in a burka (maybe it was having a bad hair day?).

It's weird.

So... get many missing persons cases in your area?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-01-2017, 09:37 PM
(21-01-2017 09:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(21-01-2017 07:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Down the street from where I live, there's a little house and in the window stands a huge mannequin. At first I thought it was a person standing there.

It's weird.

So... get many missing persons cases in your area?

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-01-2017, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 05:07 AM by Vera.)
(21-01-2017 05:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Cool find. Thumbsup

Note that every point on the circumference of the smaller circle oscillates along a diameter. Yes

It is rather ingenious, isn’t it? And I will sound like a broken record (again), but Jim Al-Khalili is seriously wonderful and my favourite science presenter by far (together with Dr. Iain Stewart and Dr. Helen Czerski). I mean, you gotta love a man who tweets something like this (those are children’s books.)

[Image: 28uob5.jpg]

And speaking of particles, yesterday heard a great description of what they do at CERN (by one of the scientists working there):

“The challenge here at the LHC, is to look inside the protons by smashing them to pieces. It's brute force and ignorance really. You are taking two things, which are very, very small, you don't really know what's inside them to start with, and you hit them together as hard as you can and they smash into tiny fragments and since you really don't know what the elaborate structure is inside, it's kind of like colliding two clocks together and then sweeping up the mess that you get and trying to figure out how the clock works.”

[Image: large-hadron-colliderscope-cartoon-madden.gif]

(I usually stick with the British versions of words and spelling, and what have you, but ladybird is a seriously weird name for the ladybug. I mean, talk about misleading. The Portuguese one, however, is possibly my favourite Portuguese word (joaninha or little Joana), so much so, that I wrote a “fairy-tale” about it when I was learning the language. Did it in Spanish, too… though their word (mariquita), is also a derogatory term for a gay person Undecided )

(Speaking of Dr. Iain Stewart, might have posted this before, but it still amazes me. How to Grow a Planet is one of most favourite documentaries. Truly wonderful. Heart

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-01-2017, 10:46 AM
That the forum has a business & economics section.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-01-2017, 05:39 PM
That, apparently, there’s a critter, called Thetys Vagina (the largest known species of salp, a barrel-shaped, planktonic tunicate.)

"Salps are such unique gelatinous animals! They belong to the group of highly evolved invertebrates known as tunicates. Most tunicate species live attached to the bottom when they are adults but salps remain Ocean drifters for their whole lives. Because of their gelatinous “tunic” they have even been referred to as Ocean Gummy Bears.

Their reproduction is totally otherworldly! They alternate between two forms. The image above is of the “aggregate” form or “salp chain” that, dependent on species, can be made up of millions of individuals. The aggregate form reproduces sexually to form a barrel-shaped solitary form. The solitary form buds off (asexually) to produce the individuals that make up the aggregate form and so on! Salps apparently grow faster than any other multicellular organism!"

[Image: Thetysvagina2DSC_3370copy.jpg]

[Image: Translucent-fish.jpg]

(Transparent creatures are generally incredibly cool)

As well as Why Humans Evolved Big Penises* But Small Testicles?

"Humans have a much longer and wider penis than the other great apes. Even the largest of gorillas, more than twice as heavy as a human, will have a penis just two and half inches long when erect.

However our testicles are rather small. A chimpanzee’s testes weigh more than a third of its brain while ours weigh in at less than 3%. The relative size of our penis and testes is all down to our mating strategies, and can provide some surprising insights into early human culture.

Primates exhibit all sorts of mating behaviour, including monogamous, polygynous — where males have multiple mates — and multimale-multifemale.

Male chimpanzees are much larger than females, and they have a multi-male to multi-female mating system. Essentially, male chimps have sex all the time with any female and with any excuse. A female therefore may contain sperm from multiple partners at any one time, which puts the sperm itself – and not just the animals that produce it – into direct competition. For this reason, chimpanzees have evolved huge testicles in order to produce massive amounts of sperm, multiple times a day.

Male gorilla have a polygynous or harem-style mating system where many females live with a single male. With little or no competition actually inside the uterus, gorillas have had no need for a testicular arms race to facilitate the production of more and more sperm. Their testes, therefore, are relatively small. This is similar to modern humans, whose testes are also of very modest size and produce a relatively small amount of sperm."
*No need to check, it is written by a man Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Mexico refers to the USA as EEUU, which would literally translate to "Estados Estados Unidos Unidos". Oh, you silly Mexicans and your doublespeak Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
26-01-2017, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 09:38 PM by cactus.)
Today I learned that Dennis Prager can go fuck himself Cool
Feel free to stop watching after the first 5 seconds.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
27-01-2017, 10:57 AM
(26-01-2017 08:58 PM)cactus Wrote:  Mexico refers to the USA as EEUU, which would literally translate to "Estados Estados Unidos Unidos". Oh, you silly Mexicans and your doublespeak Laugh out load

I suspect that it is because both words are plural. Though other acronyms I've dealt with didn't do that for the plural case. But then, the extent of my Spanish is what I learned in middle school, ca fifty years ago.
27-01-2017, 11:27 AM
The majority of trump supporters are really dumb. They should really be ashamed of how uneducated they sound. There are people who have allegedly attended college and they still didn't seem to learn a thing.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post