What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
27-01-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(27-01-2017 10:57 AM)Fireball Wrote:  I suspect that it is because both words are plural. Though other acronyms I've dealt with didn't do that for the plural case. But then, the extent of my Spanish is what I learned in middle school, ca fifty years ago.

Yeah, that's how they pluralise an abbreviation. Apparently (this I didn't know) it's done in English, too, occasionally, and comes from Latin (what doesn't Rolleyes )

"It seems to be an ancient writing tradition to double the last letter of a Latin abbreviation in order to indicate the plural: see p. (pagina/page) and pp., sq. (sequens/following) and sqq. The last example even took over in f. (following - one page) and ff. (following - several pages)."

Momsbyboys: In order to be ashamed they must realise the extent of their dumbness. And we all know they're literally incapable of this Dodgy

[Image: tumblr_o6softQfH51r9a1fno1_1280.png]

Or, to put it more poshly: Infinitus est numerus stultorum. Not only is the number of fools infinite, but so is their stupidity, as well Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
27-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Too funny. Thanks for the poster, too. My favorite phrase in this regard is, "Don't bother making something idiot proof, they'll just develop a better idiot". And it doesn't mean smarter, FWTW. Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-01-2017, 04:14 PM
(27-01-2017 02:04 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Too funny. Thanks for the poster, too. My favorite phrase in this regard is, "Don't bother making something idiot proof, they'll just develop a better idiot". And it doesn't mean smarter, FWTW. Laughat

Haha! This reminded me of Wodehouse (pretty sure he’s riffing on someone else – as he always does (am slightly embarrassed to confess how many “classic” quotes I know from his works)): What the world needs, is fewer and better idiots (or maybe less better... now I'm confused Consider )

The original quote (one of them) is “Our views on each other were definite. His was that what England needed if it was to become a land fit for heroes to live in was fewer and better Woosters, while I had always felt that there was nothing wrong with England that a ton of bricks falling from a height on Spode's head wouldn't cure.”

And seeing as Spode is a home-grown, would-be dictator, it’s even more apt. Rolleyes

Also, I need to read and reread some Douglas Adams, STAT!

[Image: douglas-adams.png?w=562&h=316]

(One of the most wonderful people I’ve ever met, my Portuguese teacher (he was a lawyer but loved teaching Portuguese to foreigners, as a way of meeting people from all over the world) used to say that the stupidity of clever people is that they kinda expect stupid people to think like them. And he didn’t mean to share their opinions, but to actually… I don’t know, employ at least some sort of semi-reasonable thought process, as opposed to whatever the hell goes on in the heads of your average Trump-supporting bozo. Which brings me back full circle to Wodehouse: “He had just about enough intelligence to open his mouth when he wanted to eat, but certainly no more.” )

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-01-2017, 02:10 AM
it's the year of the cock.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-01-2017, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2017 05:24 AM by Vera.)
(28-01-2017 02:10 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  it's the year of the cock.
Laugh out load

If anything could make me start to wonder whether there's something to astrology, that was it...

But what I want to know is - what age is it? The age of hilarious? Gregarious? Nefarious? Precarious? Consider

Moms, did you know that the Indian Mars mission is called MOM (Mars Orbital Mission)?

Here's a stunning picture of theirs, to make the cock flock on earth seem even more insignificant in comparison...

[Image: resized_807412_524.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-01-2017, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2017 08:12 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(26-01-2017 05:39 PM)Vera Wrote:  As well as Why Humans Evolved Big Penises* But Small Testicles?

"Humans have a much longer and wider penis than the other great apes. Even the largest of gorillas, more than twice as heavy as a human, will have a penis just two and half inches long when erect.

However our testicles are rather small. A chimpanzee’s testes weigh more than a third of its brain while ours weigh in at less than 3%. The relative size of our penis and testes is all down to our mating strategies, and can provide some surprising insights into early human culture.

Primates exhibit all sorts of mating behaviour, including monogamous, polygynous — where males have multiple mates — and multimale-multifemale.

Male chimpanzees are much larger than females, and they have a multi-male to multi-female mating system. Essentially, male chimps have sex all the time with any female and with any excuse. A female therefore may contain sperm from multiple partners at any one time, which puts the sperm itself – and not just the animals that produce it – into direct competition. For this reason, chimpanzees have evolved huge testicles in order to produce massive amounts of sperm, multiple times a day.

Male gorilla have a polygynous or harem-style mating system where many females live with a single male. With little or no competition actually inside the uterus, gorillas have had no need for a testicular arms race to facilitate the production of more and more sperm. Their testes, therefore, are relatively small. This is similar to modern humans, whose testes are also of very modest size and produce a relatively small amount of sperm."
*No need to check, it is written by a man Rolleyes

Well I don't see how his sex plays into it, but he's definitely a moron.

The odd thing is that he's not only shading the data, but he's dead wrong about much of it, drawing false conclusions from false premises. For one thing, using brain size (rather than body size, the obvious data point) as an arbitrary figure for testicle size-ratio is outright disingenuous... why would the brain correlate with the testicles in any way? The only reason to use the brain as a metric is if you're trying to skew your results toward a pre-formed conclusion.

As a percent of body mass, human testicles are roughly in the middle between chimpanzees and gorillas, and the evidence seems to suggest that we are roughly in the middle in terms of reproductive strategy, as well, or capable of employing either mono* or poly* strategies as the situation or the individual dictates. In numerous surveys done, roughly 50% of people (slightly fewer for male, slightly more for female, but not by much) said they were primarily monogamous, while the other half said they were not, primarily. [Edit: I messed that up, got it backward. Slightly more men than women answer non-monogamous, as a percent.]

Humans also retain the chimp's proportion of "hunter/killer" and "blocker" sperm (designed to interfere with competing sperm in the uterus) which make up 99% of our ejaculate, with the fertilizers being only the last 1%, suggesting that we were more like our chimp/bonobo cousins, not very long ago in evolutionary terms... and may still be.

And the penis size thing is clearly a product of sexual selection... quite simply, once women get to choose mates, they pick the ones who don't have 3" dicks! Laugh out load

Jokes aside, penis size seems to be a product of the selection pressure of female orgasm-- if you're in any environment other than a sexual free-for-all (a la chimps) or a harem (a la gorillas), then men who are more capable of making a woman have an orgasm are more likely to father her children than her other lover(s), due to the "suction" effect of the cervix when the PC muscles contract during orgasm. This drives increase in length, to be closer to the cervix when ejaculating, and in girth, to better stimulate the engorged tissues on each side of the vaginal entrance which "pull" on the clitoris.

Women also appear to have more orgasms with men who are symmetrical (bilaterally-- it's a bio way to say "handsome", as we value symmetry more than we realize, when evaluating attractiveness) and when they are with mates who make them more comfortable and less worried/distracted, which may be behind the species' move slowly away from our previous chimp strategy and into semi-monogamy or limited polyamory.

Most fascinating to me was the work I read by Robin Baker (I forget the title and frankly I'm too tired at this point to go look it up) in which he spelled out the numerous ways in which men are evolving to deal with the prospect of both monogamy and its suddenly-relevant corollary, infidelity... like the fact that men who fear their mate has been unfaithful will ejaculate twice as much sperm as men who are confident that their mate has been only with them.

There's so much more to human sexuality, and it's so fascinating. Sorry to go on like this, but it really pisses me off when morons like that guy throw their own prejudices into the study or discussion of the subject.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-01-2017, 09:55 AM
(28-01-2017 05:52 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Well I don't see how his sex plays into it, but he's definitely a moron.

There's so much more to human sexuality, and it's so fascinating. Sorry to go on like this, but it really pisses me off when morons like that guy throw their own prejudices into the study or discussion of the subject.

Rant away, doctor, rant away. Especially when it's backed by facts (the "joke" about him being a man was about the title, how humans have big penises, that was all). Yes

To be honest, I was leery of posting it, 'cause I had a look at that website and some of their more political posts kinda made me raise an eyebrow or three. It's just that I posted something about "vaginas" (even if the word meant something else back then) and having read the other one earlier that day, it kinda felt like a nice symmetry, you know, equal rights for vaginas and dicks Rolleyes

BTW, it's kinda old, but there was a rather interesting thread about sex in the animal kingdom around here.

All I'm saying is if we'd gone the way of ducks (or slugs), phalloevolutionary speaking, we would've become extinct ages ago. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
31-01-2017, 07:23 AM
About the pom-pom crab Heart

[Image: weNDUGz.gif]

"The Lybia crab is a species of small crab in the family Xanthidae. It is also referred to as Hawaiian boxer crab, pom-pom crab, cheerleader crab, mosaic boxer crab among many other nicknames. The crabs are known for their signature move of always carrying a small living sea anemone around in each of its claws, which helps them catch food and protect themselves from predators (thought to resemble pom-poms or boxing gloves). These tiny treasures can be hard to find, but if you keep your eye out, even on night dives, you might be lucky enough to spot one.

8 Interesting Facts:

1. Boxing Gloves: If provoked or attacked by a predator, the pom-pom crab (boxing crab) will threaten the aggressor and try to deter it by waving it’s anemones around, the tentacles of which are well armed with cnidocytes (stinging cells).

2. Mothering Skills: The red eggs of pom-pom crab are carried around on the female’s abdomen for around 13-15 days where they are brooded.

3. Tight Grip: Pom-pom crabs have been known to use three different species of anemones. Sometimes substituting other organisms such as sponges and corals for the sea anemones.

4. Best Friends: The relationship the pom-pom crab has with the sea anemone – being carried in it’s claws – is not essential for the survival of either species.

5. Tiny Cheerleader: You’ll have to peer into little crevices to try and spot the pom-pom crab which grows to an average width of about 2.5 cm (about 1 in).

6. Tropical Travels: Pom-pom crabs (Lybia tessellata) can be found in shallow water in the tropical Indo-Pacific region, its range extending from the Red Sea and the East African coast to Indonesia and New Guinea.

7. Hawaiian Flower: Also referred to as the Hawaiian boxer crab (Lybia edmondsoni) is endemic to the Hawaiian Islands. It’s Hawaiian name is kūmimi pua, meaning “inedible flower crab”.

8. Professional Cleaner: The sea anemone’s tentacles can be used like mops, gathering debris and food particles from the ground around the crab’s hiding place."

[Image: tumblr_o124p501SP1rpe379o2_540.gif]

"They have delicate claws that they rarely use for anything but holding onto their anemones. Their claws have a series of small hooks that once embedded in the anemones keep them from getting away.

The crabs tend the anemones a bit like a bonsai tree, limiting their food and even sometimes nibbling at them to keep them small enough to hold easily.

The only time they let them go is while grooming in private moments, but Schnytzer and his team caught these unguarded moments by building the crabs shelters in their lab aquaria that allowed them to peek in.

“They’d let go of one of their anemones and hold it with one of their feet, and with the vacant claw clean their antennae and face. This is common grooming behavior known in other crabs. They’d only do this hiding away in secrecy,” he says.

When a pom-pom crab loses an anemone in head-to-head battle, they simply grab the remaining anemone and stretch it apart, tearing it into two equal parts. The remaining pieces regenerate back to a size similar to the original."

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
06-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Age old question answered.

If a tree falls and you can't see it, it still makes a fuck ton of scary noise.

Glad I could clear that up.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-02-2017, 10:21 AM
(06-02-2017 09:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Age old question answered.

If a tree falls and you can't see it, it still makes a fuck ton of scary noise.

Glad I could clear that up.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post