What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
21-03-2017, 11:22 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
What did I learn? English from the 1700s is damn-near incomprehensible.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
21-03-2017, 11:32 PM
(21-03-2017 11:20 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 10:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I know I already knew this...but I hate to get further confirmation that people are just stupid.

I've definitely had my fair share of "stupid" momentsSmile

With that said, I apologize to anyone here if I've come off as a dullard or written idiotic posts (I'm sure that I have at one time or another).

Phht..that's nothing you should see me before my two or three cups of coffee. Ask the forum team, I don't make any sense at all.

But it's different than learning that people are just stupid and not in that everyone is stupid at times thing...

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-03-2017, 11:33 PM
(21-03-2017 11:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  What did I learn? English from the 1700s is damn-near incomprehensible.

Yep, it is..

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-03-2017, 05:33 AM
(21-03-2017 11:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  What did I learn? English from the 1700s is damn-near incomprehensible.

Heh heh. You should try Beowulf in the original. English before the Norman conquest. Here's the first few lines...

Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in gear-dagum

þeod-cyninga, þrym gefrunon,

hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!

Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum

monegum mægþum meodo-setla ofteah;

egsode eorl[as] syððan ærest wearð

feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,

weox under wolcnum, weorð-myndum þah,

oðæt him æghwylc þara ymb-sittendra

ofer hron-rade hyran scolde,

gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god caning!

I spent a term in college in Old English class. Four students, total, and every class was all translation/discussion. We were each responsible for translating about 20 minutes' worth of lines from Old English into Modern English, for every class. A ton of work, as you can imagine!
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
04-04-2017, 07:42 PM
That if someone treats you like crap, you don't need to stoop to their level. I just don't understand why people treat people badly who are kind to them. Sad

I also learned a new fact about space.

Be true to yourself. Heart
04-04-2017, 07:51 PM
(04-04-2017 07:42 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  That if someone treats you like crap, you don't need to stoop to their level. I just don't understand why people treat people badly who are kind to them. Sad

I sure hope those two things are not connected or else someone is just floating in space.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
04-04-2017, 08:43 PM
(04-04-2017 07:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 07:42 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  That if someone treats you like crap, you don't need to stoop to their level. I just don't understand why people treat people badly who are kind to them. Sad

I sure hope those two things are not connected or else someone is just floating in space.

Laugh out load lmao!

No, they are unrelated things I learned today. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
04-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Firestick Plant. Angry

http://scribol.com/environment/plants/fi...-acid-sap/

My wife somehow found out that the person one of my sons works for has this plant. He dug some up, and brought it over. Fucking shit has acid sap, and his eyes were nearly swollen shut, hurting like hell and red as hell, by the time he got to our house. He did not know that this plant had this issue when he dug it up, and handled it without any sort of protection (neither did his boss, and we're waiting to hear back about her). I ran 2 liters of saline over his eyes, and took him to the ER, after reading up on it on the internet. Got his eyes flushed more in the ER, and had tests to verify that he didn't scratch his lenses during the ordeal, when he was rubbing them. I told my wife that as far as I am concerned that plant is going in the recycle bin. Guess what? It's planted out in front of our house. Facepalm F.M.L.

I have a strong suspicion that that plant is going to DIE, from causes unknown. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
04-04-2017, 09:15 PM
All together now:

"All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen."

Just thank your lucky stars... and by that I mean be thankful one of them isn't the Southern Cross and you're not living in Australia, where the only thing that doesn't want to kill you is rocks (and I might be wrong about them too Dodgy ), including this lovely specimen: the gympie-gympie.

“Being stung is the worst kind of pain you can imagine - like being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time,” said Marina, who at the time was a postgraduate student at James Cook University investigating the herbivores that eat stinging trees.

“The allergic reaction developed over time, causing extreme itching and huge hives that eventually required steroid treatment. At that point my doctor advised that I should have no further contact with the plant and I didn’t object.

Writing to Marina in 1994, Australian ex-serviceman Cyril Bromley described falling into a stinging tree during mili­tary training on the tableland in World War II. Strapped to a hospital bed for three weeks and administered all manner of unsuccessful treatments, he was sent “as mad as a cut snake” by the pain. Cyril also told of an officer shooting himself after using a stinging-tree leaf for “toilet purposes”.

He’s had too many stings to count but Ernie Rider will never forget the day in 1963 that he was slapped in the face, arms and chest by a stinging tree. “I remember it feeling like there were giant hands trying to squash my chest,” he said. “For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower.”

So swollen was Les Moore after being stung across the face several years ago that he said he resembled Mr Potato Head.

“I think I went into anaphylactic shock and it took days for my sight to recover,” said Les, a scientific officer with the CSIRO Division of Wildlife and Ecology in Queensland, who was near Bartle Frere (North Peak) studying cassowaries when disaster struck.

“Within minutes the initial stinging and burning intensified and the pain in my eyes was like someone had poured acid on them. My mouth and tongue swelled up so much that I had trouble breathing. It was debilitating and I had to blunder my way out of the bush.”

Hope the video isn't blocked over there.

Julep (and FreeThought) - I studied Old English too (and Middle English, obviously). Was quite a bit of fun, I really enjoyed it Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2017, 09:32 PM
(04-04-2017 09:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  All together now:

"All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen."

Just thank your lucky stars... and by that I mean be thankful one of them isn't the Southern Cross and you're not living in Australia, where the only thing that doesn't want to kill you is rocks (and I might be wrong about them too Dodgy ), including this lovely specimen: the gympie-gympie.

“Being stung is the worst kind of pain you can imagine - like being burnt with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time,” said Marina, who at the time was a postgraduate student at James Cook University investigating the herbivores that eat stinging trees.

“The allergic reaction developed over time, causing extreme itching and huge hives that eventually required steroid treatment. At that point my doctor advised that I should have no further contact with the plant and I didn’t object.

Writing to Marina in 1994, Australian ex-serviceman Cyril Bromley described falling into a stinging tree during mili­tary training on the tableland in World War II. Strapped to a hospital bed for three weeks and administered all manner of unsuccessful treatments, he was sent “as mad as a cut snake” by the pain. Cyril also told of an officer shooting himself after using a stinging-tree leaf for “toilet purposes”.

He’s had too many stings to count but Ernie Rider will never forget the day in 1963 that he was slapped in the face, arms and chest by a stinging tree. “I remember it feeling like there were giant hands trying to squash my chest,” he said. “For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower.”

So swollen was Les Moore after being stung across the face several years ago that he said he resembled Mr Potato Head.

“I think I went into anaphylactic shock and it took days for my sight to recover,” said Les, a scientific officer with the CSIRO Division of Wildlife and Ecology in Queensland, who was near Bartle Frere (North Peak) studying cassowaries when disaster struck.

“Within minutes the initial stinging and burning intensified and the pain in my eyes was like someone had poured acid on them. My mouth and tongue swelled up so much that I had trouble breathing. It was debilitating and I had to blunder my way out of the bush.”

Hope the video isn't blocked over there.

Julep (and FreeThought) - I studied Old English too (and Middle English, obviously). Was quite a bit of fun, I really enjoyed it Yes

Sheeeeit! On second thought, I think that I will don my Kevlar® suit (yes, I really have one), particle/organic filter face mask (yes, I really have one of those, too) and KILL IT WITH FIRE with my propane torch (yes, I also really have one of those, three!). What the hell is it with people that they like poisonous shit in their yards?!? I guess my wife didn't learn her lesson, 6 years ago when she got poked by a rose thorn and got an infection that nearly took her life. Angry To this day, she has issues from that. I'd just as soon kill those rose bushes with fire, as well. Hmmmm Consider Banana_zorro I have a solution! :rubs hands together evil smiley:
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post