What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
04-06-2017, 05:35 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(04-06-2017 04:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  Thoreauvian, I also learnt last week about a frog which feeds her tadpoles her own eggs (*and* they are each deposited in a water-filled thingamajig* on tree trunks)

* Yep. That's the scientific term Dodgy

Yes, I saw that on another David Attenborough DVD. Perhaps that was the same frog species who carries the tadpoles on their backs up certain trees to deposit them in little cups of water between the leaves.

Nature is much weirder than I ever learned watching The Wonderful World of Disney when I was a kid.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but I got it straight from the mouth of a certified frog doctor, so to speak Rolleyes

Like I always say, I find our planet - and the Universe - incomparably more wondrous and strange, and fascinating than anything our imagination has ever come up with. I sure hope life has managed to evolve to such a variety someplace else because the Universe will be so much poorer once the sun decides it's had enough of all our shenanigans and it was high time it put a stop to it all...

I also learnt how to tell if fruit is ripe (this is from a fb page called Fake Science. Their stuff is often hilarious)

[Image: 18422567_10156252187048986_5487761161162262777_o.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-06-2017, 09:06 PM
The male Betta Fish swims under the water surface, blows bubbles and arranges them neatly together.
The female Betta Fish drops her eggs.
The male picks them up, carries them up top and carefully inserts each tiny egg into a tiny bubble.
Then he guards them.

When they hatch they better get the heck out of there fast or he'll eat them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-06-2017, 09:13 PM
So, you could say that in the Betta Fish household (waterhold?) it's the man who makes the sammiches? Consider

[Image: can-stock-photo_csp6865392.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-06-2017, 09:54 PM
My middle son had a Beta fish as a pet when he was about 9. It disappeared, one day, and was not to be found. We bought him a new bed a couple of years after that, and discovered the fish wedged between the wall and the carpet. Huh Fucking fish. Good thing it was small, or it could have made a horrendous stink. Though that would have made it easier to find. Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
05-06-2017, 07:15 AM
(04-06-2017 09:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  My middle son had a Beta fish as a pet when he was about 9. It disappeared, one day, and was not to be found. We bought him a new bed a couple of years after that, and discovered the fish wedged between the wall and the carpet. Huh Fucking fish. Good thing it was small, or it could have made a horrendous stink. Though that would have made it easier to find. Facepalm

Yep, they are jumpers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-06-2017, 07:24 AM
(04-06-2017 09:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  So, you could say that in the Betta Fish household (waterhold?) it's the man who makes the sammiches? Consider

[Image: can-stock-photo_csp6865392.jpg]

Discus are rather the opposite. She lays eggs on a leaf, he then fertilizes them. Then they guard them.

When the babies hatch, they attach themselves to one of the parents and a nutritious skin secretion is produced. The babies feed on this. When the parent gets sick of it, they move to the other parent for more of the same. And so on, back and forth, until they wean.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
05-06-2017, 09:22 AM
(04-06-2017 09:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  My middle son had a Beta fish as a pet when he was about 9. It disappeared, one day, and was not to be found. We bought him a new bed a couple of years after that, and discovered the fish wedged between the wall and the carpet.

When I was a kid, we had a similar experience with a pet turtle -- found dried up under a piano.

Undecided
05-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Poor turtle and fish Sad You all are seriously making me ponder, though, if my cousin's kids' Beta dying was an accident. That thing was tough as nails...but named after her ex husband.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-06-2017, 11:10 AM
(05-06-2017 09:56 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Poor turtle and fish Sad You all are seriously making me ponder, though, if my cousin's kids' Beta dying was an accident. That thing was tough as nails...but named after her ex husband.

He's not sleeping with the fish. >.>
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post