What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
07-06-2017, 02:42 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Thoreauvian, have you seen One Foot in the Grave, by any chance? There is a turtle episode there... and that's all I'm prepared to say [Image: LaieA_052.gif]

And now, for something completely different... and sad: coffin cubicles Sadcryface

He lives in a 500 square foot apartment with 21 other residents. He spends his nights cooped up in a tiny space, which barely fits a single-sized mattress, trying to fall asleep while his neighbours squabble over whose turn it is to use the bathroom.
“I dread going home, but I still need a place to sleep,” Tony, who only gave his first name, said, fearing he would be kicked out.
“The most difficult thing about living here, is not being able to breathe in fresh air. It’s suffocating,” he added.
Tony’s entire living space is a 15 square foot enclosure stacked on top of others like cupboards, with only a metal air vent to let the apartment’s air conditioning seep through.
When asked about his hopes and dreams, Tony said with a shrug: “I just want to find a job. Live in public housing.”

[Image: 1440.jpg?w=1225&q=55&aut...d3a96747cc]

[Image: 1440.jpg?w=720&q=20&auto...e2cbc9d921]

[Image: 1440.jpg?w=1225&q=55&aut...dd80d8b233]

[Image: 1440.jpg?w=720&q=20&auto...afc64e97aa]

[Image: 1440.jpg?w=720&q=20&auto...16ae7df9c5]

Half the world truly doesn't know how the other half lives. Or wants to know (and I'm including myself in this) Sadcryface

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
08-06-2017, 04:09 AM
(07-06-2017 02:42 PM)Vera Wrote:  Thoreauvian, have you seen One Foot in the Grave, by any chance? There is a turtle episode there...

No, I have never seen that show. What was the turtle episode about?

The coffin cubicles remind me of an article I recently read about the problems with living in tiny homes: wearing out the furniture quickly from overuse, never being able to escape the smells, not having enough room for a laundry basket and so on.

Thoreau lived in his tiny house as an experiment, for only two years and two months. Otherwise he lived with his family in his parents' house, and sometimes with the Emersons as well. I would not wish to emulate his experiment (or live in a coffin cubicle) unless I was forced to by misfortune.
Find all posts by this user
14-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Abou agar or microbial art: "a collection of unique artworks created using living bacteria, fungi, and protists." And I might just be in love Heart

[Image: agar-art-3.jpg]

[Image: microbe-art-petri-dish-agar-contest-van-...sts-42.jpg]

[Image: The_End_4.14.17.jpg]

[Image: microbe-art-petri-dish-agar-contest-van-...sts-41.jpg]
(08-06-2017 04:09 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Otherwise he lived with his family in his parents' house, and sometimes with the Emersons as well.

So much for self-sufficiency, eh? Tongue

(Let's just say the turtle meets a fiery end and leave it at that...)

17-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Ok so it's not actually new, but today drove home the fact that kids are fuuuucking smart! Dayum. I feel very stupid now!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
17-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Allegedly before WWII Jozef Tiso was pretty good guy, interested in making life of common man better. [Andrzej Krawczyk, Slovakia of Priest President. Jozef Tiso 1887-1947] Books seems suspicious though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-06-2017, 12:32 PM
That sea anemones can swim (unlike me Rolleyes ) and look phallically comical while doing it Big Grin

[Image: 0793f5eede07221f0de2f25a90704f15cf0cc7ed...01f0_1.gif]

Just keep swimming, little buddy, just keep swimming!

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
09-07-2017, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 03:06 PM by Oaken.)
From Atheists I learned about mirror neurons and also about humans being hardwired by evolution to seek causation and see patterns in life. Yes

From Christians I learned that SWAG stands for Saved With Amazing Grace. Facepalm

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
16-07-2017, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 07:44 PM by Vera.)
About New Orania

"Now Orania, a town of 1,400 established during the dying years of apartheid and protected by the constitution, was created by Afrikaners on private land in 1991 ahead of the dawn of democracy and its residents are mostly white farmers or traders. The town maintains its unique racial makeup by vetting and interviewing prospective residents."

A remote farming town of approximately 1,300, Orania by this description is unremarkable. Except it is not. Instead, the community has gained a notoriety beyond its modest means as a parochial enclave within the Rainbow Nation, where the dream of an Afrikaner state is alive and well.
Orania, you might have guessed, is Afrikaner-only. And by extension, whites-only.
It's also growing.

Beginning life in 1990 during the last gasps of apartheid, the Afrikaner town was the brainchild of Carel Boshoff III. The son-in-law of H.F. Verwoerd, the architect of apartheid, he and a number of families purchased an abandoned workers' village with lofty ambitions that one day hundreds of thousands of Afrikaners might call it home.

[Image: jtfp.gif]

""Many Afrikaners ... still have a feeling of entitlement," she argues. "They may realize that things are just as bad for the majority of the black population, but they're used to being in a place where that couldn't happen to a white person. That's what they're comparing it to: comparing themselves to the past, rather than their poor contemporaries."

"Many poor and uneducated Afrikaners I spoke to claimed they would prefer to starve rather than become the maid or gardener of a black middle-class family," Norman writes." [Image: smiley26.gif]

(Also, I don't care what anyone says, Afrikaans is the dumbest non-language ever.)

24-07-2017, 08:46 PM
About the jewel caterpillar

[Image: PPgfU2x.gif]

[Image: 0_8a4fc_c5a8095c_L.jpg]

[Image: 09-SRNP-41310-DHJ459571.jpg]

24-07-2017, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2017 09:29 PM by Fireball.)
(24-07-2017 08:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  About the jewel caterpillar

[Image: PPgfU2x.gif]

[Image: 0_8a4fc_c5a8095c_L.jpg]

[Image: 09-SRNP-41310-DHJ459571.jpg]

Pretty! Must be poisonous as all hell. Dodgy

Updated after visiting the website. Now, if the goo tasted like caramel, I'd be hooked! Laugh out load