What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-07-2017, 03:26 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Fireball, would come rather handy for when we finally *have* to start eating creepy-crawlies. That'd be on the dessert menu Rolleyes

Today, I learnt that there are "land" octopi. Seriously, where do I sign up for my species-change operation?

[Image: octopus-on-land.gif]

"Aculeatus has been described as "the only land octopus", because it lives on beaches, walking from one tidal pool to the next as it hunts for crabs. Many octopi can crawl short distances on land when necessary, but no others choose routinely to do this."

Oh, but guys, I just signed up for a small-group, VIP (of sorts) tour of AquaRio (the biggest oceanarium in South America), led by the director of the place, a marine biologist. We're even supposed to feed the sharks in the end (not in *that* sense, though, I'm hoping ;-))

There is a strong biological streak going through this trip of mine and that's lovely Blush

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
01-08-2017, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 06:43 PM by Vera.)
That apparently, besides the candy cane crab, there is also a candy cane snail.

[Image: 152818f496494d63bb9c0a7adea0734a.jpg]
(02-03-2017 06:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  Also, while not nearly as fabulous as the pom-pom crab (seriously, that one is one of the cutest things ever Heart ), about the candy striped crab

And yeah, the pom-pom crab is still cutest thing ever Heart

[Image: weNDUGz.gif]

(31-01-2017 07:23 AM)Vera Wrote:  About the pom-pom crab Heart

[Image: weNDUGz.gif]

"The Lybia crab is a species of small crab in the family Xanthidae. It is also referred to as Hawaiian boxer crab, pom-pom crab, cheerleader crab, mosaic boxer crab among many other nicknames. The crabs are known for their signature move of always carrying a small living sea anemone around in each of its claws, which helps them catch food and protect themselves from predators (thought to resemble pom-poms or boxing gloves). These tiny treasures can be hard to find, but if you keep your eye out, even on night dives, you might be lucky enough to spot one.

8 Interesting Facts:

1. Boxing Gloves: If provoked or attacked by a predator, the pom-pom crab (boxing crab) will threaten the aggressor and try to deter it by waving it’s anemones around, the tentacles of which are well armed with cnidocytes (stinging cells).

2. Mothering Skills: The red eggs of pom-pom crab are carried around on the female’s abdomen for around 13-15 days where they are brooded.

3. Tight Grip: Pom-pom crabs have been known to use three different species of anemones. Sometimes substituting other organisms such as sponges and corals for the sea anemones.

4. Best Friends: The relationship the pom-pom crab has with the sea anemone – being carried in it’s claws – is not essential for the survival of either species.

5. Tiny Cheerleader: You’ll have to peer into little crevices to try and spot the pom-pom crab which grows to an average width of about 2.5 cm (about 1 in).

6. Tropical Travels: Pom-pom crabs (Lybia tessellata) can be found in shallow water in the tropical Indo-Pacific region, its range extending from the Red Sea and the East African coast to Indonesia and New Guinea.

7. Hawaiian Flower: Also referred to as the Hawaiian boxer crab (Lybia edmondsoni) is endemic to the Hawaiian Islands. It’s Hawaiian name is kūmimi pua, meaning “inedible flower crab”.

8. Professional Cleaner: The sea anemone’s tentacles can be used like mops, gathering debris and food particles from the ground around the crab’s hiding place."

[+] 7 users Like Vera's post
04-08-2017, 12:42 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
Today I learn that there is no real patrotic Pole looking for Poland interests and Jews use electron brain to destroy Poles. [Marek Kucia, "Antisemitism, Holocaust, Auschwitz in social studies"].

I must admit that antisemites certainly don't lack imagination.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
05-08-2017, 03:22 PM
[Image: aa326f52f865d932a79dfe9b30743443.jpg]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
06-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Mind blown...

Little Black Sambo isn't about a black (African American) kid at all....

It's about an Indian kid.

Had I ever bothered to actually read the book I might have sorted it out on my own.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-08-2017, 08:45 AM
What upskirting is. I knew there was a reason I'd stopped reading news sites Undecided

18-08-2017, 08:53 AM
It's 12.53 AM. I learned I am tired.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-08-2017, 02:54 PM
(18-08-2017 08:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  What upskirting is. I knew there was a reason I'd stopped reading news sites Undecided

The local grocery store did a remodel that included some REALLY shiny floors. At the grand reopening I caught some little piece of shit taking a cellphone picture of the floor at the feet of a girl's dress. Took me a few seconds to realize why he was doing it. That shine was like a mirror. He didn't even have to aim it up her dress.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
18-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Some 40 year old guy got caught here doing that. He photographed a 9 year old girl. WTF is wrong with some men. seriously.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post