What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
09-05-2018, 10:55 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Truck nuts. It actually has its own wikipedia article.

Still can't believe we've actually managed to leave the caves. Heck, to climb down from the trees even. Facepalm

[Image: truck-nuts.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2018, 03:28 PM
So the man has to replace a fence post. It's probably cemented in. He was reading online about someone who used a car jack to lift it out.

He was musing about that when the blonde me chimed in..."I don't have a jack in my car."
The man being male and confident in his manliness chortles, "of course you do!"
I repeat no I don't.

He asks, "does your car have a spare tire?"

I reply with confidence "yes, but it's teeny toy one."

He groans and walks me out to the car and tells me to locate the spare. I begin looking in the backseat. Kinda reaching my hand under it. Then I open the hatch and he's looking at me all amused. I open the little secret compartment and say..."I guess I don't have a spare tire after all."

He says "take the lid off the compartment." Which I do and it does is expose the compartment.

Then he says "take the tire chains and the first aid kit out and lift the compartment." Now I should add he said that with that authoritative air...

I took the stuff out but my hands were full and I looked at him....

He groaned and lifted the plastic and underneath was the spare tire some bolty things...

I rather proudly say, "see there's the tire underneath those big bolty things"

"Those big "bolty" things is the jack!"

"OOoooooh I do have a jack then, the car came with that?"

He replaces the plastic dish like thing mutters something about blondes and that I'm lucky I'm cute as he walked away.

So, I learned that my car has a spare tire and a jack (although it's in pieces and I don't understand how it would work, and looks like a real nail breaker....

Thank goodness I've got a phone and a AAA card.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-05-2018, 11:58 AM
About the Alexamenos graffito: "a piece of Roman graffiti scratched in plaster on the wall of a room near the Palatine Hill in Rome [...] It may be the earliest surviving depiction of Jesus and, if so, competes with an engraved gem as the earliest known pictorial representation of the Crucifixion of Jesus. [...] The image seems to show a young man worshipping a crucified, donkey-headed figure. The Greek inscription approximately translates to "Alexamenos worships [his] God," indicating that the graffito was apparently meant to mock a Christian named Alexamenos."

[Image: Alexorig.jpg]

[Image: image-20160315-9262-18sewyi.png]

30-05-2018, 12:54 PM
That's quite the ass...on that ass.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
30-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Well, according to Rachel, Jesus was into riding asses in more ways than one, so... Angel

(That article actually hurt my brain Facepalm )

27-06-2018, 07:59 AM
About Big Dick Energy.

"BDE has always been with us, even if we haven’t the phrase to describe it: it’s charisma and confidence, coupled with the ability to almost instantly make other people feel good. In some ways, it’s the opposite of toxic masculinity.

Big dick energy does not care for your pathetic gender binary and will not pander to it,” wrote Vice. “Chris Hemsworth wielding a ludicrously big hammer with arms the size of cows and yelling a lot? Feeble big dick energy. Cate Blanchett simply standing there smirking, but, like, only using her eyes somehow? Powerful, powerful big dick energy."

I am officially done with this planet.

27-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last night my wife and I watched an episode from a David Attenborough nature program. Part of the program described the nesting habits of a particular species of geese which lives in Greenland. Because of predators on the ground, the geese nest at the top of very tall cliffs. And because of that, soon after the goslings are born they have to jump off the cliffs to follow their parents down to the grasslands where they feed. The drop they filmed was estimated to be 400 feet. It was disturbing seeing these goslings fling themselves off the top of the cliffs, freefall for a surprisingly long time, then bounce down and across the rocks at the bottom. Needless to say, not all survived the fall -- only 3 out of 5 in the group they filmed. (Then in the extras at the end of the program, they showed how the first group of goslings they filmed were grabbed by a fox at the bottom of the cliffs anyway.)

Nature is nuts.
04-07-2018, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2018 11:27 AM by Vera.)
About Cory's Shearwater and its, apparently, bloodcurdling call.

Actually, I found it hilarious and the comment "it sounded like a demented baby laughing in the air above my house" made me laugh out like... well, like a demented baby, I guess. Rolleyes I can appreciate being spooked if you don't know what it is... but what can it be other than some animal.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
23-07-2018, 11:10 AM
That we're in the Meghalayan Age

"Geologists have classified the last 4,200 years as being a distinct age in the story of our planet.

They are calling it the Meghalayan Age, the onset of which was marked by a mega-drought that crushed a number of civilisations worldwide."

"We currently live in what is called the Holocene, which reflects everything that has happened over the past 11,700 years. Further, the Holocene is subdivided into three parts, the Greenlandian, the Northgrippian, and the youngest addition, the Meghalayan.The Greenlandian runs from 11,700 to 8,200 years ago; the Northgrippan runs from 8,200 to 4,200 years ago, and finally, the Meghalayan runs from 4,200 years ago to present."

[Image: ChronostratChart2018-07.jpg]

24-07-2018, 05:44 AM
Too soon to tell. I just got up and am still sweeping the cobwebs from my brain. Drinking Beverage