What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
06-03-2013, 05:01 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(05-03-2013 05:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Spider monkeys don't have thumbs.
As opposed to what?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm starting to think that either no one is using this thread as much as they should be; or ghostexorcist is the most learned among us. lol Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
06-03-2013, 11:22 AM
[Yesterday] I learned that my son believes Big Foot is a myth NOW because he died already...

We saw the commercial on Animal Planet about "Finding Bigfoot." I've told my son many times that it's fake and just because some people feel really strongly about something, doesn't mean it's true. (I don't want him getting scared of the images they show on the commercial.)

He sees the commercial again, and says, "Shut up, you liars! Bigfoot is fake. He died in 1959! Man!"

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
I learned to be grateful for what I have....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-03-2013, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 05:43 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(06-03-2013 05:01 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 05:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Spider monkeys don't have thumbs.
As opposed to what?

Nothing. They literally only have four fingers on their hands. Evolution found a solution to keep them from presumably breaking their thumbs while swinging through the trees. They have vestigial bones inside where the thumb should be.

[Image: Monkey-hand.jpg][Image: DSC_0122.JPG][Image: Ateles-manus.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-03-2013, 09:08 PM
This is an odd one: Experiments suggest that the shape of the human penis is adapted for literally squeegeeing semen out of a vagina. This harkens back to our days as apes in Africa when females would mate with several males. Removing the semen of a previous male would increase the chances of an individual impregnating the female. Thrusting apparently serves the purpose of removing the material.
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-03-2013, 09:13 PM
(06-03-2013 09:08 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This is an odd one: Experiments suggest that the shape of the human penis is adapted for literally squeegeeing semen out of a vagina. This harkens back to our days as apes in Africa when females would mate with several males. Removing the semen of a previous male would increase the chances of an individual impregnating the female. Thrusting apparently serves the purpose of removing the material.
Consider

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
07-03-2013, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 05:38 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(06-03-2013 05:37 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Nothing. They literally only have four fingers on their hands. Evolution found a solution to keep them from presumably breaking their thumbs while swinging through the trees. They have vestigial bones inside where the thumb should be.

Just in case anyone was wondering how the Spider Monkey lives without a thumb, they have prehensile tails that they use to grab onto things with. It is strong enough to support their body weight. The neatest thing about it is that it has a friction pad on the end of it to help keep a better grip.

[Image: spider_monkey6.jpg][Image: spidermonkeytailfrictio.png]
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
07-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Hamlets are synchronous hermaphrodites. They do not practice self-fertilization but take turns being male and female over several nights of mating.[font=sans-serif]
[/font]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-03-2013, 08:32 PM
(07-03-2013 08:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hamlets are synchronous hermaphrodites. They do not practice self-fertilization but take turns being male and female over several nights of mating.

That's interesting. I think I've read somewhere that dominant clown fish can transform into females when there is a shortage of them. The fish sexes are not very different from each other since they have cloacas, so it's not like they have to go through any major biological changes.