What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
07-03-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(07-03-2013 08:32 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 08:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hamlets are synchronous hermaphrodites. They do not practice self-fertilization but take turns being male and female over several nights of mating.

That's interesting. I think I've read somewhere that dominant clown fish can transform into females when there is a shortage of them. The fish sexes are not very different from each other since they have cloacas, so it's not like they have to go through any major biological changes.
Wrasses do that. All are born female and, as needed, some become males and Super-males. One of the studies done here in the Keys is comparing at what size the Hogfish (wrasse family) becomes male. Because of the selective pressures of spearfishing in the Keys and not in the Gulf, males in the Keys are smaller. We are culling the largest and thereby reducing their size over time.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 05:42 AM
Scientist just found a thriving community of 2.7 million year fungus on the sea floor.

"Life finds a way" - Jurassic Park

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/4207-fun...ocean.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-03-2013, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 01:13 PM by Lienda Bella.)
I learned that two feet of human hair gets into everything I own (literally), and that's why the girls in my family never got too frustrated with half Border collie fur. My sister has an even thicker and prettier head of hair than I do. She used to own an almost perfect half Border collie. It's not because I'm balding either. I'm not.
08-03-2013, 01:21 PM
From re-reading a section of Paradise Lost.. I learned that at a point, God says to "the Son" We need to be sure of our omnipotence. A very bizarre thing to say.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I learned that I actually DO have a bit of jealousy in me. I had NO IDEA. I also learned that I have "moments" after midnight due to lack of sleep and random other outside factors that build up.

I need to work on this Dodgy I also learned that simple little comments by special people really DO make me "smile inside."

Also, I learned that I ramble when I get nervous or uncomfortable Heart

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 11:35 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I've learned a few things. First, an 8 week old embryo from Gray's Anatomy (1918 edition) looks like Stewie from Family Guy hatching an evil plot:

[Image: sanatomystewie.png]

Second, I've learned how to sex a skeleton in my biological anthropology class:

[Image: sexingaskull.png]
The pelvis is the best way to sex a skeleton because people with androgynous facial features can make it hard to guess their gender via their skulls. It is important to note that the width of a pelvis does not always determine whether someone is a male or female. The best ways to tell the sex is looking at the greater sciatic notch and the subpubic angle. If the greater sciatic notch is so narrow that you can barely move your thumb around, it's a man. Women have very wide sciatic notches. The subpubic angle of women (roughly 90 degrees) tends to be very circular. Men have a more narrow subpubic angle (roughly 45 degrees).

[Image: sexingapelvis.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like ghostexorcist's post
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
(12-03-2013 11:22 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Second, I've learned how to sex a skeleton in my biological anthropology class:
Not to sound like a complete boob, but first thing that popped in my head was - is he that desperate.

Seriously though, really interesting stuff. Keep it coming. Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-03-2013, 02:51 PM
(12-03-2013 02:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  Not to sound like a complete boob, but first thing that popped in my head was - is he that desperate.

HEY! A MAN HAS NEEDS, YA KNOW!
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
12-03-2013, 02:57 PM
(12-03-2013 02:51 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  HEY! A MAN HAS NEEDS, YA KNOW!
And I just learnt that you and MisterMaggot will get along famously Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Female Tamarin monkeys practice Polyandry, meaning they mate when numerous males to create paternity confusion. Many primates will kill offspring if they know it isn't theirs. Tamarin males will all help care for the young because there is a chance that one of them might be the father. Most importantly, ALL of them can be the father. This is known as "genetic chimerism." This has something to do with numerous zygotes fusing into one individual. Here is a Tamarin with a mustache to be proud of:

[Image: 3160624036_9c53633331.jpg]

An example of genetic chimerism is this cat:

[Image: chimera-cat-5.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post