What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-03-2013, 05:20 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(28-03-2013 03:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  How about them and this chap? (I still remember how excited I was when I read it for the first time).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21350900

[Image: _65730922_oleary1hr.jpg]

Looks like we are rats, after all Tongue

I remember seeing that when it first came out, but I forgot to read it. It appears that this mammal ancestor lived only 2 million years before the appearance of the primate ancestor I listed above. It doesn't seem to have not changed much in that short amount of time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 05:24 PM
(28-03-2013 05:20 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I remember seeing that when it first came out, but I forgot to read it. It appears that this mammal ancestor lived only 2 million years before the appearance of the primate ancestor I listed above. It doesn't seem to have not changed much in that short amount of time.
I had to double and triple-check the times they lived (didn't want to appear too ignorant Tongue ), 'cause they did look so similar, my first thought was that it was the same animal. Found out about other ancestral species while at it, so it was totally worth it Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
31-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Apparently, there are fish with human-like teeth. Confused
[Image: 7314923468_3bc028cf7f_z.jpg]

[Image: 1094.jpg]
Source: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/runn...ic-crisis/

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-03-2013, 12:41 PM
that some pretty important simulations for my master thesis, that I wont have time to redo, are wrong. Kill me.
31-03-2013, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2013 12:58 PM by Vera.)
One of the coolest facts in a while: that vultures (in particular New World ones) urinate on their legs because the uric acid kills bacteria accumulated from walking through carcasses, and also acts as evaporative cooling.

A lot of them are also bald and have no or very small fluff type feathers, because "rotten meat clinging to feathers would take forever cleaning and bold necks stay cleaner, also mites and ticks and other parasites will not stay on the neck too long as the neck is exposed to the suns ultra violet rays to kill bacteria, the vulture also loves to rub its neck on rocks to clean."

(Vosur, that's one disgusting-looking thing Confused )

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
31-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I learned what a BTU (unit for measuring heat energy) is. It's the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one pound of water, one degree Fahrenheit. (or the amount of energy released when one degree of heat is lost).

Getting my design ready for a year round greenhouse, so I gotta get me learned up on heat storage! Lol

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
That there is such a thing as pink (Himalayan) salt. And that it looks like candy/sugar. Dodgy Luckily, I don't like sweet things (and I'm supposedly an adult), so I didn't find that out the hard (or salty) way...

[Image: himalayan_pink_salt.jpg]

01-04-2013, 02:21 PM
(01-04-2013 11:53 AM)Vera Wrote:  That there is such a thing as pink (Himalayan) salt. And that it looks like candy/sugar. Dodgy Luckily, I don't like sweet things (and I'm supposedly an adult), so I didn't find that out the hard (or salty) way...

[...]

I learned about that from watching this awesome cooking show:

I also learned from a different episode of the show that the word "punch" (as in the drink) is actually based on the Hindi word for the number 5, "panch." The number comes from the number of ingredients, usually sugar, alcohol, water, tea, and lemon juice.

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
01-04-2013, 03:02 PM
(01-04-2013 02:21 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:53 AM)Vera Wrote:  That there is such a thing as pink (Himalayan) salt. And that it looks like candy/sugar. Dodgy Luckily, I don't like sweet things (and I'm supposedly an adult), so I didn't find that out the hard (or salty) way...

[...]

I learned about that from watching this awesome cooking show:

I also learned from a different episode of the show that the word "punch" (as in the drink) is actually based on the Hindi word for the number 5, "panch." The number comes from the number of ingredients, usually sugar, alcohol, water, tea, and lemon juice.

There are rumors of it coming back as well i hear....
01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
(01-04-2013 03:02 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  There are rumors of it coming back as well i hear....

One can only hope. I love the show because it mixes science, history, and pulp culture.