What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
07-04-2013, 07:51 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Here I am, listening to a song and I hear the lyrics "I'd declare your eyes another constellation; I'd find the gold mines in every strand of your hair" (which, I'll be the first to admit, are rather on the maudlin side) and am reminded how yesterday I learnt that one of Pushkin's most famous poems (and one whose first lines I can quote in Russian, but that's really neither here nor there) was written about Anna Kern.

She had a very interesting life, but the truly interesting thing I learnt, is that while in his poem he said:

"A magic moment I remember:
I raised my eyes and you were there,
A fleeting vision, the quintessence
Of all that's beautiful and rare..."

several years later he would call her the "whore of Babylon" and write to one of his friends that "with God's help I screwed her the other day".

Makes one wonder about what all those, who've written famous poems about someone they were in love with, would have had to say about their object of infatuation in a couple of years... Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-04-2013, 08:15 AM
(07-04-2013 07:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  Here I am, listening to a song and I hear the lyrics "I'd declare your eyes another constellation; I'd find the gold mines in every strand of your hair" (which, I'll be the first to admit, are rather on the maudlin side) and am reminded how yesterday I learnt that one of Pushkin's most famous poems (and one whose first lines I can quote in Russian, but that's really neither here nor there) was written about Anna Kern.

She had a very interesting life, but the truly interesting thing I learnt, is that while in his poem he said:

"A magic moment I remember:
I raised my eyes and you were there,
A fleeting vision, the quintessence
Of all that's beautiful and rare..."

several years later he would call her the "whore of Babylon" and write to one of his friends that "with God's help I screwed her the other day".

Makes one wonder about what all those, who've written famous poems about someone they were in love with, would have had to say about their object of infatuation in a couple of years... Consider

I just learned that it must have been God that helped me screw since I haven't gotten laid as an atheist. Shocking

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-04-2013, 08:56 AM
(07-04-2013 08:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just learned that it must have been God that helped me screw since I haven't gotten laid as an atheist.

And the next thing you should learn, is what a non sequitur is. Drinking Beverage

07-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Cheese strings can unlock my phone!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Today I learned that I really fucking love the honey chicken from noodle canteen.
07-04-2013, 10:17 AM
I also learned that I can't use chop-sticks to save myself.

God invented forks for a reason asian people!! Angry
07-04-2013, 10:23 AM
(07-04-2013 08:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 08:15 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just learned that it must have been God that helped me screw since I haven't gotten laid as an atheist.

And the next thing you should learn, is what a non sequitur is. Drinking Beverage

Apparently you're the one who needs the lesson since my post was based directly upon your quote.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-04-2013, 10:33 AM
(07-04-2013 10:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Apparently you're the one who needs the lesson since my post was based directly upon your quote.

Well, I'm so used to your bringing everything around to sex, that I missed the fact that the English translation is kinda crappy. Not exactly the kind of screwing he meant. Drinking Beverage

07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
(07-04-2013 10:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 10:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Apparently you're the one who needs the lesson since my post was based directly upon your quote.

Well, I'm so used to your bringing everything around to sex, that I missed the fact that the English translation is kinda crappy. Not exactly the kind of screwing he meant. Drinking Beverage

Today I've learned that you presume too much and don't know English as well as I thought you did. Evil_monster

~Izel
07-04-2013, 10:37 AM
(07-04-2013 10:35 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Today I've learned that you presume too much and don't know English as well as I thought you did. Evil_monster

I wasn't the one who did the translation.

And just so you know, that so wasn't funny.

Not that I'm surprised. We're done here. Or at least I am.