What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
12-04-2013, 07:19 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(12-04-2013 06:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 06:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There's an island, Sokland Island, owned by Russia that the Russians are building a two huge plants, an oil plant a LNG plant to hold and process oil and natural gas they're going to extract out of the ground off its coast further north.
There's two HUGE holding tanks for the LNG, and the way they put the roofs on is amazing.
They built the walls, then built the room on the ground (inside the walls), then using nothing but air pressure, pumped air beneath the roof in order to lift it into place. I didn't catch how high but it looked similar to 15-20 story building.

Sakhalin?

Yea that sounds better.
I didn't catch how it was spelt and so, like always, just sounded it out.
Why does shit never spell the way it sounds?

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I learned that my awesome politics teacher is an atheist. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
12-04-2013, 03:06 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
I learned that even the wonderful iPad can sometimes require a punch in the face.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
12-04-2013, 03:23 PM
(12-04-2013 03:06 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I learned that even the wonderful iPad can sometimes require a punch in the face.

Quote: Percussive maintenance, also known as a technical tap, is hitting a malfunctioning electronic device to make it work.

Lane's Principle states: "There is no problem which cannot be solved by suitable application of blunt force."

Remember children; If it don't work, beat the shit out of it 'til it does.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 03:55 PM by Lienda Bella.)
I learned that sitting in front of an abandoned building makes you the strange one of a small town, where kids who pity you say "Hi" out their car window to make you feel better, and three others look at you like a strange creature before fleeing like you held a flame gun. If you sit in front of the busy Fred's across the stupid street, then you're cool.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
13-04-2013, 08:46 AM
I learned about the ... wonders ... of the natural world.

Especially pigs.

Sea pigs.

And cucumbers.

Sea cucumbers.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
13-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Today I learned that "sand is made of silica".

Such knowledge came from the mouth of a 6-year-old, but hey, he's not entirely wrong:

"Sand is a naturally occurring granular material composed of finely divided rock and mineral particles. The composition of sand is highly variable, depending on the local rock sources and conditions, but the most common constituent of sand in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings is silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2), usually in the form of quartz."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Today I learned that waking up at 3 in the afternoon is a very un-productive thing to do with your time.

13-04-2013, 10:45 PM
(13-04-2013 10:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Today I learned that waking up at 3 in the afternoon is a very un-productive thing to do with your time.

You JUST woke up?! I'm STILL up. (It's 12:44 am right now.)

I slept in until 2:30 pm today, by the way. I don't have any children to look after, so I didn't feel too bad about it, either.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
13-04-2013, 11:01 PM
No, I woke up 2 hours ago (its 5pm).

It's not the sleeping in that's the problem, it's the time when you wake up, you feel rested and ready to start a brand new day and instead of getting up and doing shit you decided it'd be better to simply go back to sleep, despite not being tired.
Thus, instead of waking at like 12, like normal, I awoke at 3 which is annoying considering 3 is when I normally go get food, and now it's 5 and I haven't gotten food it's weird because 3 is food time, not 5. Annoying.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post