What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
15-04-2013, 04:55 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
Today I learned that if I don't sleep with my CPAP machine I really do spend the rest of the day wishing I was back in bed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
15-04-2013, 07:52 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
I learned big research papers are really not that bad if you do a little prep and force yourself to hammer it out. I have to write 4 papers--2 that are both 10-15 pages double-spaced and 2 that are roughly 4 pages double-spaced--take 1 midterm and 2 finals in the next 3 weeks. Therefore, getting stuff done early gives me extra time to do little things like eating and sleeping.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Yesterday I learned that there's a Military Channel.
Today I learned that it sucks.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
16-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I learned why the deity associated with the moon is most often a female in cultures all over the world. Take the following carving of a "Venus" from France, for example. She holds in her hand a horn or cornucopia with 13 dash marks. These marks are believed to represent the 13 menstrual cycles a woman has in a lunar year. This gives a "blood moon" a whole new meaning.

[Image: Venus-de-Laussel-vue-generale-noir.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-04-2013, 05:29 PM
(16-04-2013 12:33 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I learned why the deity associated with the moon is most often a female in cultures all over the world. Take the following carving of a "Venus" from France, for example. She holds in her hand a horn or cornucopia with 13 dash marks. These marks are believed to represent the 13 menstrual cycles a woman has in a lunar year. This gives a "blood moon" a whole new meaning.

really? some times I think archaeologists read too much into things...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-04-2013, 06:09 PM
(16-04-2013 05:29 PM)nach_in Wrote:  really? some times I think archaeologists read too much into things...

The way I look at it is that the horn is a symbol of the crescent moon. The concept of associating the female menstrual cycle with the moon is the most plausible reason I've heard for why there are so many female lunar deities.
16-04-2013, 10:47 PM
(16-04-2013 12:33 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I learned why the deity associated with the moon is most often a female in cultures all over the world. Take the following carving of a "Venus" from France, for example. She holds in her hand a horn or cornucopia with 13 dash marks. These marks are believed to represent the 13 menstrual cycles a woman has in a lunar year. This gives a "blood moon" a whole new meaning.

*fap fap fap fap fap*

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
16-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Today I learned that.....I'm not sure what I learned today.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
17-04-2013, 01:41 AM
What my least favourite "word" in the English language is. The one in the post above Tartarus'. Whoever came up with this should be hung, quartered and drawn. Seriously. You all know what I do for a living, so it's not a shock factor kinda thing, it's just that it's dumb beyond belief, plain and simple.

I also learnt about blazars.

"A blazar is a very compact quasar (quasi-stellar object) associated with a presumed supermassive black hole at the center of an active, giant elliptical galaxy. Blazars are among the most energetic phenomena in the universe and are an important topic in extragalactic astronomy."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
17-04-2013, 01:49 AM
In fairness; "Fap" is the sound made as a man strokes his male member in rapid succession. I suppose it's mostly to do with the sound of the hand slapping against the scrotum, combined with the sound of skin rubbing against skin.

So, it's stupid, yeah, but it's not altogether inaccurate. No more than "Burp" or "Achoo!"

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post