What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
23-11-2012, 06:40 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
I learnt how to tile a floor with pennies.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-11-2012, 07:36 PM
(23-11-2012 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  I just learned there is a bridge/tunnel connecting Denmark to Sweden. How cool.

The Oresundbridge (official name: Øresundsförbindelsen) connecting Copenhagen in Denmark and Malmö in Sweden leaves one puzzled, as suddenly a 4-line highway and a 2-track railway seem to disappear into the sea
Read more at http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/fea...5dUOHvK.99
There are similar bridge-tunnels in Virginia, most infamously the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel which I drove through twice a day for years unfortunately. There is also the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel, and another whose name I cannot recall. Anyway, I just assumed this was normal in coastal regions. Did I miss something?

23-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Well I just leaned that with some determination I could get rich off of tearing up Starks floors. Rich I tells you. Oh yeah it's only pennies they'll say, but that copper is a gold mine, and pennies are apparently going out of circulation eventually which will make them collectable. I'll be laughing in the end you suckers.

Also I learned that AC/DC songs are incredibly fun to play on guitar, especially the bluesier stuff. Which is like an epiphany to me since Im a big Acca Dacca fan and when I first started on guitar I learned 2 songs and then put them away because they seemed kind of easy (minus some solos) and a little boring to play. Pfft. Super fun to play. Mostly. Still pretty easy but I can do the solos now, and I'm so much more fluid that the songs actually sound like they should. Maybe it's fun because it sounds like music instead of like learning.

And I learned that my moustache has grown to the point where I can curl it or pull it straight out on the ends. It looks so grungy but hey it's sweet as fuck.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
23-11-2012, 07:41 PM
(23-11-2012 07:38 PM)lucradis Wrote:  And I learned that my moustache has grown to the point where I can curl it or pull it straight out on the ends. It looks so grungy but hey it's sweet as fuck.
Pic or it didn't happen.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
23-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Wait till I'm done. I haven't decided if I'm letting it grow on through December or not because like I said it's getting grungy.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
23-11-2012, 07:59 PM
(23-11-2012 07:36 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(23-11-2012 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  I just learned there is a bridge/tunnel connecting Denmark to Sweden. How cool.

The Oresundbridge (official name: Øresundsförbindelsen) connecting Copenhagen in Denmark and Malmö in Sweden leaves one puzzled, as suddenly a 4-line highway and a 2-track railway seem to disappear into the sea
Read more at http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/fea...5dUOHvK.99
There are similar bridge-tunnels in Virginia, most infamously the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel which I drove through twice a day for years unfortunately. There is also the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel, and another whose name I cannot recall. Anyway, I just assumed this was normal in coastal regions. Did I miss something?
Yeah, I knew about Hampton Roads - I worked on it. I was the lead software engineer on the SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) computer system for CO and fog sensors, fans, lights, traffic flow monitoring, and status display.

I assume the Oresundbridge is similar.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-11-2012, 08:02 PM
(23-11-2012 07:38 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Well I just leaned that with some determination I could get rich off of tearing up Starks floors. Rich I tells you. Oh yeah it's only pennies they'll say, but that copper is a gold mine, and pennies are apparently going out of circulation eventually which will make them collectable. I'll be laughing in the end you suckers.

Also I learned that AC/DC songs are incredibly fun to play on guitar, especially the bluesier stuff. Which is like an epiphany to me since Im a big Acca Dacca fan and when I first started on guitar I learned 2 songs and then put them away because they seemed kind of easy (minus some solos) and a little boring to play. Pfft. Super fun to play. Mostly. Still pretty easy but I can do the solos now, and I'm so much more fluid that the songs actually sound like they should. Maybe it's fun because it sounds like music instead of like learning.

And I learned that my moustache has grown to the point where I can curl it or pull it straight out on the ends. It looks so grungy but hey it's sweet as fuck.
Only older pennies. Since 1997, there is almost no copper in them, just copper-plated.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-11-2012, 08:46 PM
That's true. But that metal has got to be worth something anyways. Worse cones to worse I could put em in a sock and mug people with em.

[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I have just learned that this thread exists. Nice one Miso.

It's a bit like the 'Achievement of the Day' thread but more useful because I have also learned all the stuff that you guys have learned.

Except about soft-ground playgrounds (I first saw that at Legoland) and light-bulbs being hot... wft, Leela!

I have learned nothing else today because I have not long been awake.

No wait, I have learned that, having just recovered from a long flight from Sydney, I have been invited to a party tonight hosted by the hottest Vietnamese lady one could ever meet (who has a Porsche-wielding jealous hubby, so I had better keep my tongue to myself) and then I am flying to KL in the morning. No time for laundry.

I hope this thread becomes a keeper.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-11-2012, 09:38 PM
(23-11-2012 07:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-11-2012 07:36 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  There are similar bridge-tunnels in Virginia, most infamously the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel which I drove through twice a day for years unfortunately. There is also the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel, and another whose name I cannot recall. Anyway, I just assumed this was normal in coastal regions. Did I miss something?
Yeah, I knew about Hampton Roads - I worked on it. I was the lead software engineer on the SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) computer system for CO and fog sensors, fans, lights, traffic flow monitoring, and status display.

I assume the Oresundbridge is similar.
Fuck you, you piece of shit! You are responsible for my agony! FUCKING 2 hours of my life per day, for years, gone! Fuck you Chas! You wanna' know the status of traffic? It's not fucking moving!

Whew! That felt good! Cool I know you aren't truly responsible for everything, but you're the closest thing I've found to blame, so thanks for being my punching bag Smile

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post