What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-04-2013, 10:33 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(28-04-2013 10:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 08:30 AM)Filox Wrote:  I learned that Windows 7 with all the patches and no toolbars and shit can still use up to 2 GB of RAM while doing nothing... When I compare that to my XP that uses 350 MB...

Lets see how much can I lower the memory consumption now, without reinstalling the whole OS...

Smile

You can probably use less with Linux.

He should use Windows 95! I hear that was a great system, nothing ever went wrong with that!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 10:34 AM
I learned that I get slightly insane when I don't have my car anymore.
28-04-2013, 07:49 PM
(28-04-2013 10:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 08:30 AM)Filox Wrote:  I learned that Windows 7 with all the patches and no toolbars and shit can still use up to 2 GB of RAM while doing nothing... When I compare that to my XP that uses 350 MB...

Lets see how much can I lower the memory consumption now, without reinstalling the whole OS...

:)

You can probably use less with Linux.

Heck, even the LiveCD would probably take less memory. Haven't done the measurements though.
29-04-2013, 06:28 AM
(28-04-2013 07:49 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 10:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You can probably use less with Linux.

Heck, even the LiveCD would probably take less memory. Haven't done the measurements though.

Yeah, haha, funny guys... I got this laptop from a friend and I need to clean it, so, no I will no give him the laptop back with Linux, or something else. What I would need to do is reinstall the OS, but I can't because of some specific programs he is using and they are needed for his work, now. So all I can do is clean it. My installations of Win7 usually take up 700Mb-1GB of memory, 2GB is just way too much, so I am trying to lower it down by carefully searching for all the problems that are leaking memory usage.

Funny...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
29-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Nearly every post I find on the internet about natural beauty and wander has a God comment under it. I've noticed that the trolls don't bother joining into the praise. Maybe it's too used for their liking.
01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
My coffee and non-dairy creamer smells like battery acid after I put a washcloth over the mug.
01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
(01-05-2013 01:11 PM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  My coffee and non-dairy creamer smells like battery acid after I put a washcloth over the mug.

How clean is that washcloth?
01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Kittens have the worst smelling shit ever.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
You only just learned that, Stark?

Trust me, you'll get so used to it you wont even know they've gone and done it until you see it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-05-2013, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 07:36 PM by ghostexorcist.)
The only anatomical feature that truly separates us from all apes and prior human species is the chin (a.k.a. "mental eminence"). The reason that we have a chin and all others don't is because of the size of our jaws. Take the following picture of a human and gorilla skull, for example.

[Image: image264a_sm.jpg]

The gorilla has a massive mandible that projects outwards from its face. The back side is reinforced with lots of bone to keep the area that would be their chin from snapping due to their powerful chewing muscles. Here is a good drawing of this.

[Image: gorilla-mandible-notebook-300-403.jpg]

If you look at a human mandible from above, you'll see that we do not have all of that extra bone in the back.

[Image: mandibletop.jpg]

All of our ape cousins have this thick bone on the backside. So where did ours go? It was pushed forward to create our chin as the length of our mandible began to shrink. Despite not having powerful chewing muscles, we still need the support to keep our mandible from snapping. This change is best illustrated by the following drawing. It's the maxilla (upper mouth) of a chimp (L), Australopithecus afarensis (M), and a human ®.

[Image: kot37055_0702.jpg]

The chimp maxilla is rectangular in shape with large canines. The A. afarensis maxllia is not as rectangular and the canines are smaller. This reduction in canines then allowed more room for the teeth to move forward, thus shrinking the jaw.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post