What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
01-05-2013, 04:23 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(01-05-2013 04:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You only just learned that, Stark?

Trust me, you'll get so used to it you wont even know they've gone and done it until you see it.

No way in hell I'll ever get used to cat shit. Those critters will be moved to the chicken coop the very moment the weather allows it. The only reason they are in my house is because they wouldn't be able to handle the cold at this age.

I'm definitely NOT a cat fan. No

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
(01-05-2013 04:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Trust me, you'll get so used to it you wont even know they've gone and done it until you see it.

No way in hell I'll ever get used to cat shit. Those critters will be moved to the chicken coop the very moment the weather allows it. The only reason they are in my house is because they wouldn't be able to handle the cold at this age.

I'm definitely NOT a cat fan. :no:

Dare I ask why you have any?
01-05-2013, 04:52 PM
(01-05-2013 04:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

You're not a cat fan? Blink

[Image: 1253886001_office-no.gif]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
01-05-2013, 05:54 PM
(01-05-2013 04:11 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The only anatomical feature that truly separates us from all apes and prior human species is the chin (a.k.a. "mental eminence"). The reason that we have a chin and all others don't is because of the size of our jaws. Take the following picture of a human and gorilla skull, for example.

[Image: image264a_sm.jpg]

The gorilla has a massive mandible that projects outwards from its face. The back side is reinforced with lots of bone to keep the area that would be their chin from snapping due to their powerful chewing muscles. Here is a good drawing of this.

[Image: gorilla-mandible-notebook-300-403.jpg]

If you look at a human mandible from above, you'll see that we do not have all of that extra bone in the back.

[Image: mandibletop.jpg]

All of our ape cousins have this thick bone on the backside. So where did ours go? It was pushed forward to create our chin as the length of our mandible began to shrink. Despite not having powerful chewing muscles, we still need the support to keep our mandible from snapping. This change is best illustrated by the following drawing. It's the maxilla (upper mouth) of a chimp (L), Australopithecus afarensis (M), and a human ®.

[Image: kot37055_0702.jpg]

The chimp maxilla is rectangular in shape with large canines. The A. afarensis maxllia is not as rectangular and the canines are smaller. This reduction in canines then allowed more room for the tooth to move forward, thus shrinking the jaw.

Don't stop posting stuff like this, I find it fascinating!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
(01-05-2013 05:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Don't stop posting stuff like this, I find it fascinating!

In reference to what I last posted, look at the following collection of skulls. Notice how the maxilla is projected outwards, but gets smaller as it progresses towards modern humans.

[Image: fossil-hominid-skulls.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
(01-05-2013 04:41 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 04:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  No way in hell I'll ever get used to cat shit. Those critters will be moved to the chicken coop the very moment the weather allows it. The only reason they are in my house is because they wouldn't be able to handle the cold at this age.

Dare I ask why you have any?

Rodent control. Critters on this farm all have a job. Once they get to work, I'll like em just fine.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
(01-05-2013 08:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 05:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Don't stop posting stuff like this, I find it fascinating!

In reference to what I last posted, look at the following collection of skulls. Notice how the maxilla is projected outwards, but gets smaller as it progresses towards modern humans.

Also the brain case gets progressively larger...and yet here we are defending critical thinking against superstition. Who would have thought?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
01-05-2013, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 11:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-05-2013 10:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 08:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  In reference to what I last posted, look at the following collection of skulls. Notice how the maxilla is projected outwards, but gets smaller as it progresses towards modern humans.

Also the brain case gets progressively larger...and yet here we are defending critical thinking against superstition. Who would have thought?

The increase appears almost entirely due to an increase in the frontal lobe. ... Aye, there's the man cave where the ego lives. ... Fuck, the id's cage looks like 3x bigger than mine.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-05-2013, 04:06 AM
I wonder if the brain will evolve faster then the skull and man will die off because everyone will be born with huge brains and tiny skulls.
What a fantastic way for man to die off, too smart for our own good..

[Image: oscar.png]
02-05-2013, 04:55 AM
(02-05-2013 04:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I wonder if the brain will evolve faster then the skull and man will die off because everyone will be born with huge brains and tiny skulls.
What a fantastic way for man to die off, too smart for our own good..

The only problem with that is the fact that the genes that would cause such a thing would never be able to be passed on. Those type of fatal at birth defects tend to be self correcting.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post