What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
02-05-2013, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 11:00 AM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(02-05-2013 10:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 08:00 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  A larger brain doesn't always mean smarter. Neanderthals actually had larger brains than us. But due to the shape of the skull, it was packaged differently than our own. The following picture shows a Neanderthal brain (top) and human brain (bottom). Notice how theirs is longer, but ours is more globular.

[Image: brains-514x480.jpg]

Some more interesting things about Neanderthals.

1) They were shorter than us. Before I started taking my biological anthropology class, I used to think they towered over us. I guess knowing their brain was bigger had something to do with it.

[Image: neander-human-comp.jpg]

2) Despite being shorter than us, they were much, much stronger. Their skeletons are far more robust. You can see this in the above picture The walls of the bone were actually thicker. They have well defined muscle attachment points on their bones, indicating powerful muscles. Their hands are a good indicator of their strength. First, look at at a human hand.

[Image: sesamoid-bone-hand.jpg]

Now look at the neanderthal hand. Notice how the tufts at the ends of the fingers are massive in comparison. If these two pictures were relatively the same size, you'd notice that the other bones were thicker too.

[Image: shan4hand1.jpg]

3) Their inner ear was smaller than ours, which means they were probably less agile than us. This might explain why we out lived them. This might also explain #5 on this list.

[Image: 47318654.png]

4) Like British longbowmen with the bones of one arm being thicker than the other due to the stress of pulling a bow, many neanderthal have thicker arm bones due to their spear thrusting. Although, one study suggested this might have been from scraping hide.

5) Fossils of neanderthals have a large amount of injuries comparable to that of rodeo riders. Their up close and personal thrusting spear technology may explain this. They essentially got too close to their unwilling prey and got hurt in the process. Early humans used atlatls, a device that extended the length of the arm and allowed for more forceful, and most importantly, longer distance dart-spear throws. Our fossils do not have nearly as many injuries.

6) They cared for their old and infirm. This is best illustrated by the following skull. The person was so old (40) that their teeth fell out and bone grew over the sockets. There is no way they could have survived on their own. Their lack of teeth indicates that someone most likely pre-chewed their food for them.

[Image: la-chapelle-725189.jpg]

This is awesome shit man! Keep it coming.

We may need to change the thread title to, "what did you learn from ghostexorcist today."!

Thanks. I'll try to think of some more. I'm primarily posting this stuff as a review for my final on Monday.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 03:27 PM by ghostexorcist.)
There are two main kinds of primates, prosimians and anthropoids (monkeys, apes, and humans). Most prosimians like lemurs and lorises have the following traits:

* Unfused mandible and frontal bone (unlike monkeys and great apes)
* Tooth comb (a comb-like bunch of teeth on the bottom jaw)
* Grooming claw (a single claw on their foot)
* Post orbital bar (the length of bone that circles the eye)
* No post orbital closure (the cup of bone behind the eye)

[Image: R%20S96-Colugos.jpg]
[Image: prosimianmandibleandgro.png]

[Image: lemurskull.png]

* Large eyes
* Tapetum lucidum (a ribbon of reflective mesh inside the eye that captures light at night)
* Nocturnal life
* Bicornate uterus (two chambered for delivering litters of offspring)
* Wet nose (like a dog or cat)
* Long snout
* Large moveable ears
* 2 pairs of nipples

[Image: prosimianandanthropoidu.png]
[Image: Dog.Nose.jpg]

This is a dog nose, but it looks very similar to the nose of a prosimian.

The Tarsier, which is sometimes classified as a prosimian, only has some of these traits. If you don’t know anything about the tarsier, here is a brief introduction.

Here are its prosimian-like traits.

* Grooming claw
* Unfused mandible
* Large eyes
* Large movable ears
* Bicornate uterus
* 2 pairs of nipples
* Nocturnal life

But what makes the Tarsier unique is that it has traits common to anthropoids like monkeys and apes.

* No toothcomb
* Fused frontal bone
* Near complete postorbital closure
* Reduced snout
* Retinal fovea (a system of rods and cones in the eyes like us)
* Dry nose (like monkeys and apes)

The tarsier is important because its mix of prosmian and anthropoid traits might be an example of what the transition between prosimians and anthropoids might have looked like.

The Eocene (58-35 MYA) saw the advent of the first true prosimians, the adapoids and omomyoids. The adapoids were more similar to lemurs in that they had long snouts, small eyes, unfused mandibles, and long limbs for leaping. The omomyoids were more similar to tarsiers in that they had short snouts, large eyes, fused mandible bones, and long tarsal (ankle) bones. The omomyoids, therefore, might be the ancestor of monkeys, apes, and humans.

[Image: adapoidsandomomyoids.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
I've been invited to an unwedding. Friends are going though a divorce, so to show their three young children everything's going to be ok they're having an unwedding ceremony.

Ok...
Only one question...do I bring a gift?

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-05-2013, 04:06 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
(02-05-2013 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've been invited to an unwedding. Friends are going though a divorce, so to show their three young children everything's going to be ok they're having an unwedding ceremony.

Ok...

Recommend an ungift: take something of theirs.
[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
02-05-2013, 04:06 PM
(02-05-2013 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've been invited to an unwedding. Friends are going though a divorce, so to show their three young children everything's going to be ok they're having an unwedding ceremony.

Ok...

I've never heard of that...

Do they "unkiss?" Do they TAKE the bouquet from the "unbridesmaids?"

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
No clue peanut. It's in a couple weeks...hope the weather is nice...

Maybe they'll uncut a cake?

02-05-2013, 04:16 PM
(02-05-2013 04:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No clue peanut. It's in a couple weeks...hope the weather is nice...

I mean, I actually got a bit choked up at the cake part of this video! (I don't think this video was intended for an "unwedding" theme, but here ya go.)

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I just hope they don't un-reproduce :O

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
(02-05-2013 04:16 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 04:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No clue peanut. It's in a couple weeks...hope the weather is nice...

I mean, I actually got a bit choked up at the cake part of this video! (I don't think this video was intended for an "unwedding" theme, but here ya go.)

I don't see anything.. Undecided

02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
(02-05-2013 04:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't see anything.. Undecided

http://vimeo.com/25693143
If this doesn't work, I give up! Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post