What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
08-05-2013, 07:38 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(08-05-2013 06:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Holy fuck!

Did they not like breeding, or were they just incredibly easy prey for more badass things?

Also, could I get a layman's explanation as to how we know that? I am curious.

That was my reaction. The article I read didn't say, but I imagine it might have something to do with genetics. Scientists used genetics to guesstimate the original human population in Africa (I forget the number). The low neanderthal number may have had something to do with their lifestyle. It was very harsh, and many didn't live to be that old. As I mentioned in a previous post, the percentage of injuries that show up in their branch of the fossil record is on par with that of rodeo riders. Also, there is evidence that they may have had longer periods of gestation than humans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
(08-05-2013 07:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 06:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Holy fuck!

Did they not like breeding, or were they just incredibly easy prey for more badass things?

Also, could I get a layman's explanation as to how we know that? I am curious.

That was my reaction. The article I read didn't say, but I imagine it might have something to do with genetics. Scientists used genetics to guesstimate the original human population in Africa (I forget the number). The low neanderthal number may have had something to do with their lifestyle. It was very harsh, and many didn't live to be that old. As I mentioned in a previous post, the percentage of injuries that show up in their branch of the fossil record is on par with that of rodeo riders. Also, there is evidence that they may have had longer periods of gestation than humans.

I would think that bands of hunter/gatherers would have remained small due to availability of prey and rate of success in hunts. I also think that the cold climate issue in Europe made for a high death rate and lower birth rate. Poor shelter, migrating prey, dangerous prey, rudementary medical knowledge, competition from homo sapiens all would have contributed to a low population don't you think?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-05-2013, 07:55 PM
(08-05-2013 07:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I would think that bands of hunter/gatherers would have remained small due to availability of prey and rate of success in hunts. I also think that the cold climate issue in Europe made for a high death rate and lower birth rate. Poor shelter, migrating prey, dangerous prey, rudementary medical knowledge, competition from homo sapiens all would have contributed to a low population don't you think?

Those are good reasons as well. One of the reasons that scientists think they were so short was because they were conforming to Allen's Law (colder temps = shorter limbs, hotter temps = longer limbs).
08-05-2013, 08:02 PM
(08-05-2013 07:55 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 07:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I would think that bands of hunter/gatherers would have remained small due to availability of prey and rate of success in hunts. I also think that the cold climate issue in Europe made for a high death rate and lower birth rate. Poor shelter, migrating prey, dangerous prey, rudementary medical knowledge, competition from homo sapiens all would have contributed to a low population don't you think?

Those are good reasons as well. One of the reasons that scientists think they were so short was because they were conforming to Allen's Law (colder temps = shorter limbs, hotter temps = longer limbs).

I have seen similar corporeal traits caused by high elevations as well; shorter limbs, larger lung capacity necessitating wider torso, wider feet, short stature. I'm recalling memories of the Qechua Indians from the Peruvian Andes.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-05-2013, 08:38 PM
(08-05-2013 08:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I have seen similar corporeal traits caused by high elevations as well; shorter limbs, larger lung capacity necessitating wider torso, wider feet, short stature. I'm recalling memories of the Qechua Indians from the Peruvian Andes.

The Qechua Indians were the example my biological anthropology professor used when explaining Allen's Law.
08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
(08-05-2013 08:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 08:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I have seen similar corporeal traits caused by high elevations as well; shorter limbs, larger lung capacity necessitating wider torso, wider feet, short stature. I'm recalling memories of the Qechua Indians from the Peruvian Andes.

The Qechua Indians were the example my biological anthropology professor used when explaining Allen's Law.

Just call me the Prof Cool

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-05-2013, 09:32 PM
(08-05-2013 08:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 08:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The Qechua Indians were the example my biological anthropology professor used when explaining Allen's Law.

Just call me the Prof Cool

Not until you drive a Delorean.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
08-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Got shit done.

[Image: oscar.png]
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
RF stands for "real fucking" magic. ... Fuckin' radios.

#sigh
09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
(02-05-2013 06:29 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  After my finals are over, I have to write a brief paper on whether or not Paranthropus robustus, sometimes known as a member of the "robust" australopithecines, was a tool user/maker. I'll post this in the science thread when I get done.

I'm done with it. I have posted it with pictures to my blog. It's rather rough because I wrote it quickly.

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...-user.html