What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
15-10-2013, 03:14 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(15-10-2013 03:01 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I learned the Moths/Moth larvae eat stored clothing. Sad
It is, indeed, the larvae that do all the eating. Moths themselves... well, they get do all the fun stuff Rolleyes

"Adults do not eat; rather, males look for females with whom to mate, and females then look for places to lay their eggs. Once reproduction is done, they die. Contrary to what many people believe, adult T. bisselliella do not eat or cause any damage to clothing or fabric. It is the larvae which are solely responsible for this, and which spend their entire time eating and foraging for food."

Actually, most moths do not even have mouths - a cool fact I discovered only recently and thought I'd share. And it still reminds me of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", which is, as far as I can remember, I quite enjoyed when I read it quite some time ago.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, I can't have been paying too much attention in my morphology class at uni, 'cause I really don't recall ever learning about cranberry morphemes ("a type of bound morpheme that cannot be assigned an independent meaning or grammatical function, but nonetheless serves to distinguish one word from the other")

The archetypal example is the cran of cranberry. It is unrelated to the word cran meaning a case of herrings, and though it actually comes from crane (the bird), this is not immediately evident. Likewise, mul exists only in mulberry (mul is from Latin morus, the mulberry tree). Phonetically, the first morpheme of raspberry also counts as a cranberry morpheme, even though the word "rasp" does occur by itself. Compare these with blackberry, which has two obvious unbound morphemes, and to loganberry and boysenberry, whose first morphemes are derived from personal names.

Other cranberry morphemes in English include:
"mit" in permit, commit, transmit, remit, and submit, from the Latin verb mittere meaning to give, to send
"ceive" in receive, perceive, and conceive, from the Latin verb capere meaning to seize
"twi" in twilight
"cob" in cobweb, from the obsolete word coppe for a spider

Not sure if this is the linguist in me or whether I really miss uni, but I find this truly fascinating Blush

Also, now I have a craving for mulberries, my most favourite fruit of all... But they're so out of season, it ain't even funny Weeping

[Image: mulberries-on-a-plate.jpg]

17-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I learned today that my younger brother shares his birthday with Oscar Wilde.

So jelly. Sad
17-10-2013, 02:39 PM
(16-10-2013 06:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  Well, I can't have been paying too much attention in my morphology class at uni, 'cause I really don't recall ever learning about cranberry morphemes ("a type of bound morpheme that cannot be assigned an independent meaning or grammatical function, but nonetheless serves to distinguish one word from the other")

The archetypal example is the cran of cranberry. It is unrelated to the word cran meaning a case of herrings, and though it actually comes from crane (the bird), this is not immediately evident. Likewise, mul exists only in mulberry (mul is from Latin morus, the mulberry tree). Phonetically, the first morpheme of raspberry also counts as a cranberry morpheme, even though the word "rasp" does occur by itself. Compare these with blackberry, which has two obvious unbound morphemes, and to loganberry and boysenberry, whose first morphemes are derived from personal names.

I'd rather not have to think too deeply before I call someone a dingleberry... might take some fun out of the insult... unless... Consider ... wonder if there actually was a guy named dingle ... ? Blink

Language really can really open up new worlds. Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I learnt what dingleberry actually means (thanks a clot, Kimmie Dodgy ).

But! Since I wanted to be an etymologist when I was a kid (yeah, yeah, I know it's not a profession), here goes:
by 1973, perhaps with suggestions of dangle and berry. Attested from late 19c. through 1930s as a humorous-sounding surname in comedic writing.

17-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I learned that I need to shave my legs... Confused
17-10-2013, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 05:05 PM by Hughsie.)
(17-10-2013 04:44 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I learned that I need to shave my legs... Confused

Yeah, your legs are hairier than mine. Confused

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I learned that things will never change. People are still bitter. They seem to hold onto the bitterness until bubbles over and can't be contained.

It's sad. Sadcryface

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-10-2013, 05:04 PM
(17-10-2013 05:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I learned that things will never change.

In a good way or bad, Moms? Remember if ya need to talk to someone I'm usually around. Hug

Edit: You edited your post when I was typing this. The offer still stands though.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-10-2013, 07:03 PM
(17-10-2013 05:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 05:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I learned that things will never change.

In a good way or bad, Moms? Remember if ya need to talk to someone I'm usually around. Hug

Edit: You edited your post when I was typing this. The offer still stands though.

Thanks. Smile

I'll get over it....or I won't.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces