What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
18-10-2013, 08:03 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Wikipedia... sometimes you're funny. Big Grin

Quote:On 21 September 1997, while on maneuvers off the coast of Cape Charles, Virginia, a crew member entered a zero into a database field causing a divide by zero error in the ship's Remote Data Base Manager which brought down all the machines on the network, causing the ship's propulsion system to fail.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2013, 06:15 AM
(16-10-2013 06:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  Well, I can't have been paying too much attention in my morphology class at uni, 'cause I really don't recall ever learning about cranberry morphemes ("a type of bound morpheme that cannot be assigned an independent meaning or grammatical function, but nonetheless serves to distinguish one word from the other")

The archetypal example is the cran of cranberry. It is unrelated to the word cran meaning a case of herrings, and though it actually comes from crane (the bird), this is not immediately evident. Likewise, mul exists only in mulberry (mul is from Latin morus, the mulberry tree). Phonetically, the first morpheme of raspberry also counts as a cranberry morpheme, even though the word "rasp" does occur by itself. Compare these with blackberry, which has two obvious unbound morphemes, and to loganberry and boysenberry, whose first morphemes are derived from personal names.

Other cranberry morphemes in English include:
"mit" in permit, commit, transmit, remit, and submit, from the Latin verb mittere meaning to give, to send
"ceive" in receive, perceive, and conceive, from the Latin verb capere meaning to seize
"twi" in twilight
"cob" in cobweb, from the obsolete word coppe for a spider

Not sure if this is the linguist in me or whether I really miss uni, but I find this truly fascinating Blush

Also, now I have a craving for mulberries, my most favourite fruit of all... But they're so out of season, it ain't even funny Weeping

[Image: mulberries-on-a-plate.jpg]

Now you have taught me something as well. Do I have to repost it?

Also, those look like blackberries to me. I've never knowingly seen a mulberry, but the berries look the same.

I was curious enough to look it up. Apparently mulberries are native to Europe and Asia, while Blackberries are native to the Americas. Perhaps mulberries still aren't that common in these parts. The two berries, though similar in size, color, and structure are not closely related. They aren't part of the same genus, so that is something else I have learned today.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
19-10-2013, 06:37 AM
(19-10-2013 06:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Also, those look like blackberries to me. I've never knowingly seen a mulberry, but the berries look the same.
The two berries, though similar in size, color, and structure are not closely related. They aren't part of the same genus, so that is something else I have learned today.

Also, mulberries actually grow on trees. Yet another difference Wink (One of the reasons I love them so much is I used to climb the mulberry trees in my school yard a lot when I was kid. Would spend hours in one of them in particular with a friend.)

Actually, there are species of mulberry trees that are native to America (some to South America and some to North America).

Another interesting fact is that the leaves of the mulberry tree are pretty much the sole natural food source of silkworms. And because nature is cool like that, they more you trim a mulberry trees, the faster its branches grow.

Also, there is a famous painting of a mulberry tree by Van Gogh.

[Image: The_Mulberry_Tree_by_Vincent_van_Gogh.jpg]

And this concludes today's lecture on mulberries. Tomorrow we tackle passion fruit Wink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
19-10-2013, 06:50 AM
(19-10-2013 06:37 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-10-2013 06:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Also, those look like blackberries to me. I've never knowingly seen a mulberry, but the berries look the same.
The two berries, though similar in size, color, and structure are not closely related. They aren't part of the same genus, so that is something else I have learned today.

Also, mulberries actually grow on trees. Yet another difference Wink (One of the reasons I love them so much is I used to climb the mulberry trees in my school yard a lot when I was kid. Would spend hours in one of them in particular with a friend.)

Actually, there are species of mulberry trees that are native to America (some to South America and some to North America).

Another interesting fact is that the leaves of the mulberry tree are pretty much the sole natural food source of silkworms. And because nature is cool like that, they more you trim a mulberry trees, the faster its branches grow.

Also, there is a famous painting of a mulberry tree by Van Gogh.

[Image: The_Mulberry_Tree_by_Vincent_van_Gogh.jpg]

And this concludes today's lecture on mulberries. Tomorrow we tackle passion fruit Wink

NOT SO FAST! Tongue

I read the tree/bush difference as well, but failed to mention it. I found this quite odd because in America (originating in England according to Wikipedia) there is a song that is typically sang by young girls as that skip hand in hand in a circle. The song lyrics are:

Here we go round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush.
Here we go round the mulberry bush
So early in the morning.

I vote we change the lyrics from mulberry to blackberry. The current lyrics will now irritate me to no end now that I know the truth. GAAHHH!

19-10-2013, 07:00 AM
(19-10-2013 06:50 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I vote we change the lyrics from mulberry to blackberry. The current lyrics will now irritate me to no end now that I know the truth. GAAHHH!

Abso-fucking-lutely! Drives me crazy, too. Always has Dodgy

(12-12-2012 04:02 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:58 PM)bemore Wrote:  They look like blackberries Consider
Well, they're not. Can't you see they're growing on a tree, silly. (And yeah, it ain't no bush. I've climbed my fair share of mulberry trees as a kid).

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-10-2013, 07:15 AM
We should rename this thread Vera and Dark Light berry learning hour. You can host, I will be your lovely (but dim-witted) assistant.

19-10-2013, 07:33 AM
(19-10-2013 07:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I will be your lovely (but dim-witted) assistant.

Something along those lines, right? Big Grin

On a totally unrelated note, I have a top that says ''Come to my cherry garden and enjoy". And no, I'm pretty sure whoever made it had no idea. Obvs. neither did I when I bought it Big Grin

19-10-2013, 09:04 AM
(19-10-2013 07:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-10-2013 07:15 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I will be your lovely (but dim-witted) assistant.

Something along those lines, right? Big Grin

On a totally unrelated note, I have a top that says ''Come to my cherry garden and enjoy". And no, I'm pretty sure whoever made it had no idea. Obvs. neither did I when I bought it Big Grin

The scary thing about that vid is she kinda looks like me (or I like her, I suppose) in a wig. Shocking

19-10-2013, 09:57 AM
(19-10-2013 09:04 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The scary thing about that vid is she kinda looks like me (or I like her, I suppose) in a wig. Shocking

Please make my day and tell me you also sound like her!

And today I learnt about the rainbow eucalyptus. And it is by far one of the coolest things I've seen in a long long time!

"The unique multi-hued bark is the most distinctive feature of the tree. Patches of outer bark are shed annually at different times, showing a bright green inner bark. This then darkens and matures to give blue, purple, orange and then maroon tones."

[Image: Rainbow_Eucalyptus_cuipo.jpg]

[Image: flat,550x550,075,f.jpg]

[Image: article-2260383-16D989AA000005DC-193_634x892.jpg]

19-10-2013, 10:08 AM
(19-10-2013 09:57 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-10-2013 09:04 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The scary thing about that vid is she kinda looks like me (or I like her, I suppose) in a wig. Shocking

Please make my day and tell me you also sound like her!

And today I learnt about the rainbow eucalyptus. And it is by far one of the coolest things I've seen in a long long time!

"The unique multi-hued bark is the most distinctive feature of the tree. Patches of outer bark are shed annually at different times, showing a bright green inner bark. This then darkens and matures to give blue, purple, orange and then maroon tones."

[Image: Rainbow_Eucalyptus_cuipo.jpg]

[Image: flat,550x550,075,f.jpg]

[Image: article-2260383-16D989AA000005DC-193_634x892.jpg]

No, the hillbilly doesn't have a British accent. Laugh out load That is one badass Dr. Suess Tree though. I'm just going to get all my knowledge from this thread henceforth. ALL OF IT.