What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
20-10-2013, 12:38 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Today, I learned how to make curtains. I had a lot of help from my mom, and we used my great-grandmother's 70 year old sewing machine. Such a fun day!!

Here is the fabric that I used:
[Image: 4428496728c5cc97aa1583a00f509c7f_zps48621e6e.jpg]

Here is the final product. I don't have a lot of light in my basement, so it's not the best picture. The rest of the walls down there are a cream color.
[Image: 1e25247295f3d512cf276689c4e89bf2_zpsf9e5bb17.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
20-10-2013, 11:44 AM
(20-10-2013 12:11 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Today I learned I can talk to a theist without ripping my hair outSmile
oh no. I don't have to rip it. Now it just falls outTongue ugh.. i had such hope.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
20-10-2013, 11:51 AM
(20-10-2013 11:44 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 12:11 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Today I learned I can talk to a theist without ripping my hair outSmile
oh no. I don't have to rip it. Now it just falls outTongue ugh.. i had such hope.

I've found that there are some people that you can talk religion with and others it is best just to avoid the topic with. One of my favorite people in the world is a devote Catholic (in church 3 times a week) and we can discuss religion with no problems, mostly because we are both get along to go along type people.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-10-2013, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 03:39 PM by Vera.)
That Leonard Cohen Heart was, according to Wikipedia "very briefly a member of the Church of Scientology which he had heard was a "good place to meet women". I guess he heard wrong. Unless he doesn't mind crazy... Come to think of it, why would he mind crazy? Wink

But it explains certain references in Famous Blue Raincoat, which is one my most favourite Cohen songs.

"Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
I thought it was there for good so I never tried."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-10-2013, 02:01 PM
About Bose–Einstein condensate, "a state of matter of a dilute gas of bosons cooled to temperatures very close to absolute zero. Under such conditions, a large fraction of the bosons occupy the lowest quantum state, at which point quantum effects become apparent on a macroscopic scale. These effects are called macroscopic quantum phenomena."

And, subsequently, about Satyendra Nath Bose and that bosons are, in fact, named after him. Yes, I did learn it only just now. Never claimed I was particularly knowledgeable, esp. about physics, so sue me. Dodgy

21-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I learned that, despite the size of the bladder, all mammals urinate an average of 21 seconds long.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-10-2013, 02:10 PM
(21-10-2013 02:05 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I learned that, despite the size of the bladder, all mammals urinate an average of 21 seconds long.

Ha! Learnt that a couple of days ago. Didn't post it, 'cause I still need a break from animal pee and poo Big Grin

[Image: original.png]

24-10-2013, 11:35 AM
That there is a unit of death. Or rather, of measuring the probability of death. And it has the cool name of micromort. (And here is a really cool animation that illustrates it.)

Now I wonder how risky translating young adult fantasy crap is? I bet it's at least a kilomort per chapter.

I also learnt about frost flowers, but those might just be too delicate for this place. Drinking Beverage

[Image: frost+flower+3.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-10-2013, 04:27 AM
(24-10-2013 11:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  That there is a unit of death. Or rather, of measuring the probability of death. And it has the cool name of micromort. (And here is a really cool animation that illustrates it.)

Now I wonder how risky translating young adult fantasy crap is? I bet it's at least a kilomort per chapter.

I also learnt about frost flowers, but those might just be too delicate for this place. Drinking Beverage

That thing is a flower? Looks dumb.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-10-2013, 06:46 AM
(25-10-2013 04:27 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 11:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  That there is a unit of death. Or rather, of measuring the probability of death. And it has the cool name of micromort. (And here is a really cool animation that illustrates it.)

That thing is a flower? Looks dumb.

No, it's a frost flower.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]