What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
12-11-2013, 02:02 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
I relearned how to read a bass clef! Treble clef I can do, since I always look at that for singing, but it's been yeeeears since I tried playing piano from sheet music and I couldn't even remember the mnemonic for the bass clef! So I googled it. And now I'm working on trying to play a little bit again (though I'm limited to playing virtually on my iPad...)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
12-11-2013, 07:00 PM
I just realized that “never” is a contraction of “not ever”

and “blush” is a contraction of “blood rush”

also “studying” is a contraction of “student dying”

Ohmy
[+] 3 users Like Ferdinand's post
13-11-2013, 09:11 AM
That in ancient Greece amethyst "was considered to be a strong antidote against drunkenness, which is why wine goblets were often carved from it." and the name comes from the Greek word meaning "not drunk, not intoxicating".

There's even a "post-factum" a myth, created by some French bozo or other in "which Bacchus, the god of intoxication, of wine, and grapes was pursuing a maiden named Amethyste, who refused his affections. Amethyste prayed to the gods to remain chaste, a prayer which the chaste goddess Diana answered, transforming her into a white stone. Humbled by Amethyste's desire to remain chaste, Bacchus poured wine over the stone as an offering, dyeing the crystals purple.

Variations of the story include that Dionysus had been insulted by a mortal and swore to slay the next mortal who crossed his path, creating fierce tigers to carry out his wrath. The mortal turned out to be a beautiful young woman, Amethystos, who was on her way to pay tribute to Artemis. Her life was spared by Artemis, who transformed the maiden into a statue of pure crystalline quartz to protect her from the brutal claws. Dionysus wept tears of wine in remorse for his action at the sight of the beautiful statue. The god's tears then stained the quartz purple."

I would totally try to see if it works, with something like this, for instance. (Seems about the right size, too!)

[Image: m6O3MvfQoSixL7UQU_whEhw.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
13-11-2013, 09:26 AM
(13-11-2013 09:11 AM)Vera Wrote:  That in ancient Greece amethyst "was considered to be a strong antidote against drunkenness, which is why wine goblets were often carved from it." and the name comes from the Greek word meaning "not drunk, not intoxicating".

There's even a "post-factum" a myth, created by some French bozo or other in "which Bacchus, the god of intoxication, of wine, and grapes was pursuing a maiden named Amethyste, who refused his affections. Amethyste prayed to the gods to remain chaste, a prayer which the chaste goddess Diana answered, transforming her into a white stone. Humbled by Amethyste's desire to remain chaste, Bacchus poured wine over the stone as an offering, dyeing the crystals purple.

Variations of the story include that Dionysus had been insulted by a mortal and swore to slay the next mortal who crossed his path, creating fierce tigers to carry out his wrath. The mortal turned out to be a beautiful young woman, Amethystos, who was on her way to pay tribute to Artemis. Her life was spared by Artemis, who transformed the maiden into a statue of pure crystalline quartz to protect her from the brutal claws. Dionysus wept tears of wine in remorse for his action at the sight of the beautiful statue. The god's tears then stained the quartz purple."

I would totally try to see if it works, with something like this, for instance. (Seems about the right size, too!)

[Image: m6O3MvfQoSixL7UQU_whEhw.jpg]

I wonder, does this work with Scotch?Consider

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-11-2013, 09:46 AM
(13-11-2013 09:26 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I wonder, does this work with Scotch?Consider

Sure it does.

Scotch tape, old newspapers, paper baggies. Anything that doesn't let you get to the booze.

[Image: IMG_1911.JPG]

I also learnt that the West just couldn't eat itself to death soon enough.

Artisanal ice cream sometimes contains unusual ingredients, like foie gras, blue cheese, or horseradish, but Lick Me I'm Delicious' latest ice cream innovation contains jellyfish protein, not for its flavor, but for its luminescent properties.

Only thing tackier than the ice cream itself, is the name of the ice cream parlour. You really shouldn't try to be original when you desperately need those precious few brain cells for... I don't know, breathing and stuff. Lick me, I'm delicious, indeed! [Image: facepalm.gif]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-11-2013, 06:52 AM
That genes make out, too, and it turns them on.

"In a ground-breaking discovery that will have a major impact on our understanding of the function of DNA, our genetic blueprint, a group of scientists from Wits and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) are the first to show that when genes interact in three dimensions, or engage in "gene kissing", this has a major impact on how genes are switched on inside the cell."

Also, good job, South Africans, we always knew you had it in you: "This is only the fifth South African-affiliated article that has ever been published in Cell, and one of just two articles in three decades to feature an all-South African-based cast."

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-11-2013, 09:14 AM
░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ ☻/ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████] /▌ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤.. / \ Youtube if you are with us

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
14-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Adolescent human males are the most complicated things sometimes.

Go figure. Shy
14-11-2013, 03:54 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
(14-11-2013 03:53 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Adolescent human males are the most complicated things sometimes.

Go figure. Shy

Are you suggesting adolescent human females are simple creatures?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
14-11-2013, 04:05 PM
(14-11-2013 03:54 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 03:53 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Adolescent human males are the most complicated things sometimes.

Go figure. Shy

Are you suggesting adolescent human females are simple creatures?

Not simple. Just really really really emotional. Fragile but evil. Big Grin

The problem with males is that when they are emotional, the hide it, and confuse the shit out of us females.

Sad