What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
17-11-2013, 12:57 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(17-11-2013 12:55 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(17-11-2013 12:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  For as smart as you are every once in a while you have a real short bus moment.

no but fuckin seriously DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT PUN OR WAS I SERIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T???

Remember that time you thought we were kidding about Muffs being gay...

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Actually learned this yesterday. I have a Phys Ed class on Saturday mornings at a nearby park/nature reserve. There was a group that showed up to work on training search and rescue dogs. The dogs weren't bloodhounds or other breeds you would expect but were rescues of dubious lineage. They were of various sizes and shapes. I thought it was pretty cool - rescued dogs that are learning to rescue people. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-11-2013, 10:42 AM
About self-similarity.

[Image: 100E0635.JPG]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
19-11-2013, 06:55 AM
That thought signals, apparently, travel at about 20-30m/s. I'm pretty sure in a lot of folk that's 20-30m/s backwards (and in my case - in all sorts of different directions. At the same time.)

I then tried to learn about the Hodgkin–Huxley model (a mathematical model that describes how action potentials in neurons are initiated and propagated), which was when all my thought signals decided to dig in their feet and refused to budge even an inch.

[Image: hheq.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
19-11-2013, 07:23 AM
^^ Wow, you're into some cool stuff these days...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-11-2013, 07:50 AM
(19-11-2013 07:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  ^^ Wow, you're into some cool stuff these days...
[Image: Raise_Eyebrow_Icon.gif]
And I just learnt that some of us are kinda oblivious, aren't they?

I also learnt about roll clouds.

[Image: roll-cloud.png]

[Image: cloud3.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-11-2013, 01:52 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
(19-11-2013 06:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  That thought signals, apparently, travel at about 20-30m/s. I'm pretty sure in a lot of folk that's 20-30m/s backwards (and in my case - in all sorts of different directions. At the same time.)

I then tried to learn about the Hodgkin–Huxley model (a mathematical model that describes how action potentials in neurons are initiated and propagated), which was when all my thought signals decided to dig in their feet and refused to budge even an inch.

[Image: hheq.jpg]

Pardon me for having been absent for a while. Are you working toward a degree in neurology?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
19-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Please don't stop posting this stuff, lovely Vera. Blush

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-11-2013, 03:12 PM
(19-11-2013 01:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Are you working toward a degree in neurology?

Nah, just towards a neurological neurotic breakdown. My lifework, as 'twere Rolleyes

(19-11-2013 01:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Please don't stop posting this stuff, lovely Vera. Blush

It's quite probable that I won't... I can't put everything on my facebook, I'll annoy all my friends to death and they'll unfriend me before I've had a chance to Rolleyes

And now I have the excuse I needed to post a cute little factoid that gave the linguist in me a little kick today, when I found out that a certain insect family is called Geometridae or geometer moths, because of the (rather cute) way in which their larvae (called inchworms) move - in a looping fashion, as if they are "measuring the earth". Other old names for them included loaper caterpiller and surveyor, all from their mode of progress.

What can I say, creepy-crawlies are still, well, creepy, but the etymology enthusiast in me thinks this is fun. Or maybe I just need to go out more Consider

[Image: inchworm-thoughts-o.gif]

PS. I totally read Vosur's post as "don't stop posting this lovely stuff, Vera" Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-11-2013, 03:44 PM
(19-11-2013 03:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  And now I have the excuse I needed to post a cute little factoid that gave the linguist in me a little kick today, when I found out that a certain insect family is called Geometridae or geometer moths, because of the (rather cute) way in which their larvae (called inchworms) move - in a looping fashion, as if they are "measuring the earth". Other old names for them included loaper caterpiller and surveyor, all from their mode of progress.

What can I say, creepy-crawlies are still, well, creepy, but the etymology enthusiast in me thinks this is fun. Or maybe I just need to go out more Consider

[Image: inchworm-thoughts-o.gif]

PS. I totally read Vosur's post as "don't stop posting this lovely stuff, Vera" Big Grin

entomology

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user