What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
19-11-2013, 03:49 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(19-11-2013 03:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Are you working toward a degree in neurology?

Nah, just towards a neurological neurotic breakdown. My lifework, as 'twere Rolleyes

(19-11-2013 01:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Please don't stop posting this stuff, lovely Vera. Blush

It's quite probable that I won't... I can't put everything on my facebook, I'll annoy all my friends to death and they'll unfriend me before I've had a chance to Rolleyes

And now I have the excuse I needed to post a cute little factoid that gave the linguist in me a little kick today, when I found out that a certain insect family is called Geometridae or geometer moths, because of the (rather cute) way in which their larvae (called inchworms) move - in a looping fashion, as if they are "measuring the earth". Other old names for them included loaper caterpiller and surveyor, all from their mode of progress.

What can I say, creepy-crawlies are still, well, creepy, but the etymology enthusiast in me thinks this is fun. Or maybe I just need to go out more Consider

[Image: inchworm-thoughts-o.gif]

PS. I totally read Vosur's post as "don't stop posting this lovely stuff, Vera" Big Grin

.... I don't get a 'It's measuring' kinda vibe when I like at that thing... More like 'It's pulling itself very inefficiently'.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I learned some sad things and some interesting things and some nice things.

It's enough to know things are out there to learn.

I'd just rather not elaborate on any of them, at this time. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-11-2013, 04:02 PM
(19-11-2013 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  entomology
etymology

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-11-2013, 04:12 PM
(19-11-2013 04:02 PM)Vera Wrote:  
etymology

ENTO!!!!

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-11-2013, 04:29 PM
(19-11-2013 04:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  ENTO!!!!

Keep it up and you'll find yourself ENTOmbed Dodgy

Last one for today (well, it's technically tomorrow, so...)

Sundogs (no, this ain't my pet name for you Dodgy ), solar pillars, noctilucent clouds (my favourite!), circumhorizontal arcs and moonbows (Heart )

[Image: Fargo_Sundogs_2_18_09.jpg]

[Image: FairbanksUAFLightPillars.jpg]

[Image: mike-hollingshead11.jpg]

[Image: CircumhorizonArcIdaho.jpg]

[Image: yosemite-falls-moonbow-fb.jpg]

[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
19-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Um... wow Smile Wowowowow... Smile Smile Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-11-2013, 03:37 AM
What Did You Learn Today?
etymology

Your response of etymology made total sense to me. I figured you were saying the structure of the names was fascinating. This is something I understand. I'm frequently etymologically fascinated. Geometridae piqued my interest immediately upon reading it. I'm less interested in entomology.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
20-11-2013, 09:35 AM
About solar spicules - "a dynamic jet of about 500 km diameter in the chromosphere of the Sun. It moves upwards at about 20 km/s from the photosphere. Spicules last for about 15 minutes; at the solar limb they appear elongated (if seen on the disk, they are known as "mottles" or "fibrils"). They are usually associated with regions of high magnetic flux; their mass flux is about 100 times that of the solar wind. They rise at a rate of 20 km/s (or 72,000 km/h) and can reach several thousand kilometers in height before collapsing and fading away."

(I know next to nothing about astronomy, so spare me the condescension, all of you to whom this is old news.)

[Image: 560107_592648037437328_2011380382_n.jpg]

I then proceeded to read a bit about helioseismology, where I came across this: "(Certain frequencies are amplified by constructive interference In other words,) the turbulence "rings" the sun like a bell." Oh, the images in my head right now!

(On a related note, I also learnt the word spicule. It's not like I'm ever gonna need it, but I think it sounds rather cool.)

PS. FT, I didn't name the thing - send your official complaint to the bug-naming committee Rolleyes

Over and out.

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
20-11-2013, 09:50 AM
etymology

I see, you are talking about entomological etymology. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
21-11-2013, 01:12 PM
(Okay, I'm honestly not doing this to annoy you and I will stop one of these days.)

Cotard's syndrome - "a rare mental disorder in which people hold a delusional belief that they are dead (either figuratively or literally), do not exist, are putrefying, or have lost their blood or internal organs. In rare instances, it can include delusions of immortality."

The cases described in the link are quite distressing, but I admit that this made me chuckle a bit: "In 1996, a Scottish man who suffered head injury in a motorcycling accident began to believe he had died from complications during his recovery. Not long after he completed recovery, he and his mother moved from Edinburgh to South Africa. The heat, he explained to his doctors, confirmed his belief because only Hell could be so hot." Laughat

From there I ended up reading about clinical lycanthropy, my favourite, boanthropy, which, apparently is a psychological disorder in which a human being believes himself to be a bovine and species dysphoria in general.

And then there was the Equine Dream Foundation, which "was formed to investigate the possibilities of species transformation, calling for morphological freedom—the right or ability to modify one's body—for all." Seeing as none of their links work anymore, I'm assuming they must've achieved morphological freedom after all and can only hope that none of them was one of the equines I was chopping up on a regular basis until very recently Angel

Well, that's about it for at least a week.