What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
21-11-2013, 06:52 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(19-11-2013 04:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  Last one for today (well, it's technically tomorrow, so...)

[Image: rainbow.jpg]

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Okay, I promised I was done, but... scuba-diving spiders are way too cool (even if still terrifying as hell) to keep to myself...

"Females build underwater "diving bell" webs which they fill with air and use for digesting prey, molting, mating and raising offspring. They live almost entirely within the bells, darting out to catch prey animals that touch the bell or the silk threads that anchor it. However, they have to surface occasionally to renew their personal air supplies and those of their webs. Males also build bells, but these are smaller and the males replenish their bells' oxygen supply less often. The males also have a more active hunting style. Prior to mating, the male constructs a diving bell adjacent to the female's, then spins a tunnel from his bell, breaking into to hers to gain entrance. Mating then takes place in the female's bell. The female spider lays between 30 and 70 eggs in her bell."

[Image: 101566.jpg?v=1][Image: 101555_v1.jpg]

Girly, that's beautiful! Heart

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-11-2013, 03:32 AM
Males are larger than females too. I couldn't find a reference but I imagine that they don't get scoffed after sex too... which is nice Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-11-2013, 06:28 AM
(23-11-2013 03:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  I imagine that they don't get scoffed after sex too... which is nice

Took all my considerable strength not to make a "you should know"/"like you would know" joke here... I'm sick Undecided (Can't decide whether the idea of someone digging a tunnel to come mate with one is creepy or... really creepy)

How about the glasswing butterfly?

[Image: flat,550x550,075,f.jpg]

[Image: flat,550x550,075,f.jpg]

And speaking of transparent animals (more of those around that one might think), the barreleye is by far the most... not even sure what word to use Blink

"This unusual fish might be the most bizarre creature ever found lurking in the deep ocean. Sometimes called a "spook fish," no doubt because of its strange appearance, the barreleye has a completely transparent head. The purpose of the clear head is that its eyes, which are located inside the head, can look straight up as it swims, presumably so that it can detect the silhouettes of available prey. Its eyes can rotate within the socket so that the fish can look in multiple directions, which would be impossible if not for the transparent cranium."

[Image: Macropinna_microstoma_MBARI.jpg]

23-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Totally True Facts About; the Potoo bird.

The Potoo bird always looks as though it have just seen the most horrifying thing in existence.

[Image: potoo-bird-photos-13-pics_1.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF3_b_b0pAHkLZqiw0qfc...R2SrzASL7m]
[Image: 10-potoo_bird.jpg]
[Image: 03-potoo_bird.jpg]
[Image: 12-potoo_bird.jpg]

Look at that face and tell you you don't see it's horror!
It's adorable, adorable horror.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
23-11-2013, 07:36 AM
(23-11-2013 06:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It's adorable, adorable horror.

Oh sweet mother of cuteness!!!

And this is the most adorable anger fit. Ever.

On top of it, the desert rain frog is "small, plump with bulging eyes, a short snout, short limbs, spade-like feet and webbed toes. On the underside it has a transparent area of skin through which its internal organs can be seen. Its colour is yellowish-brown and it often has sand adhering to its skin."

How can you not love it. Did I mention the voice?! [Image: love-060.gif]

[Image: 130806_rain_frog.jpg]

[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
23-11-2013, 07:46 AM
I just learned that George is *very interested* in the desert rain frog. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-11-2013, 11:03 AM
That apparently one can dry tears. And that our fascination with our precious little selves and every minute thing that has to do with us has no limit. Well, to be honest, the latter I already knew. Still takes me aback at times, though...

"Rose-Lynn Fisher's photographic project "Topography of Tears" captures the abstract landscapes contained within dried human tears. She began the project during a period of personal turmoil, when she began to wonder about the form of her tears and whether her tears of grief were different from her tears of happiness. She began to dry and catalog her tears."

Also, onion tears appear to be the most beautiful ones. Go figure.

[Image: fisher_oniontears.jpg]

26-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Now you can order Pizza Hut from your Xbox 360...

'Murica. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Another day, another weird creature (and no, not talking about myself, I'm old news Rolleyes ).

Meet the harp sponge. (And thank the good lord we're not sponges, the mere thought of being surrounded by flying balls of sperm Confused)

"Velcro-like barbed hooks cover the sponge's branching limbs, snaring crustaceans as they are swept into its branches by deep-sea currents. Once the harp sponge has its meal, it envelops the animal in a thin membrane, and then slowly begins to digest its prey.

Most sponges release actively swimming sperm into the surrounding seawater, but it appears that all carnivorous sponges transfer sperm in condensed packages (spermatophores), the researchers report. The swollen balls at the tip of the harp sponge's upright branches hold the sperm packets. The balls release the spermatophores into passing currents, and other nearby sponges capture the packets on fine filaments along their branches. The sperm then works its way from the packets into the host sponge to fertilize its eggs, according to the research scientists."

[Image: sn-sponge.jpg]

And count your blessings - I could so easily have made this post about a totally different creature. But I didn't. Angel
Like the pigbutt worm (or flying buttocks) for example.

[Image: pigbutt-worm-mouth.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post