What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
28-11-2013, 11:03 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
About Kelvin–Helmholtz instability, which occurs "when there is velocity shear in a single continuous fluid, or where there is a velocity difference across the interface between two fluids. An example is wind blowing over water: The instability manifests in waves on the water surface. More generally, clouds, the ocean, Saturn's bands, Jupiter's Red Spot, and the sun's corona show this instability."

And, god, it's beautiful.

[Image: nuag2.gif]

[Image: tumblr_lyoomxeRUg1qbh26io1_1280.jpg]

[Image: 800px-Kelvin_Helmholz_wave_clouds+copy.jpg]

Also, that this is a real plant. Rolleyes
[Image: psychotria-elata-aka-hot-lips-12521.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
01-12-2013, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 09:06 AM by Vera.)
About happy (and sad) numbers. Nope, totally not making this up.

"Finding happy numbers is simple. Pick a number. Separate out its digits. Square them. Add them together to form a new number. Repeat. If the eventual product is one, you've got a happy number. For example:
8, 2
64 + 4 = 68
6, 8
36 + 64 = 100
1, 0, 0
1 + 0 + 0 = 1

And then, there's this: "Mathematicians know that numbers that don't get broken down to one only meet a single fate. Eventually, they get down to four. Once a number hits four, it's locked in an endless cycle. I won't go through the math, but the terms go as follows, 4, 16, 37, 58, 89, 145, 42, 20, 4. And around and around again forever. This is an unhappy number, or some call it a dizzy number."

Don't know about the number four, but all of a sudden, I'm feeling a little dizzy. Or is it happy? Consider

EDIT: But! When it comes to names nothing can beat amicable numbers.

"Amicable numbers are pairs of numbers whose factors add up to each other. The smallest pair, and the most well-known, are 220 and 284.
The factors for 220 are 1,2,4,5,10,11,20,22,44,55, and 110, and they add up to 284.
The factors for 284 are 1,2,4,71, and 142, and they add up to 220."

I don't think I would ever have cut it as a mathematician. And not (simply) because I don't have the brains for it. I would never have been able to reach/handle such levels of cutesy. Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
I learned how to change the strings of an acoustic guitar. I've only changed strings of electrics before, and the method of string changing for acoustics wasn't as obvious. I only broke one string, but I think I'll change all of them, because the guitar was cheap.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
I learned that Obama literally freakin sucks and I want my health insurance fixed the way it was before I'm the first 17 year old to assassinate a political figure.

Censored

(I'm partially kidding I really hope crazy American officials don't show up at my house now while I'm on tumblr or something)
02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
The coolest thing EVER.

Gamma=1/((1-((u^2)/(c^2)))^(1/2))

That is gamma is equal to 1 divided by the square root of one minus u squared divided by c squared. Where c is the speed of light and u us the difference in velocity between two observers.

Why is this cool?

Because it means that two observers see mass, time, and distance differently depending on their relative motion.
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
(02-12-2013 12:12 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I learned that Obama literally freakin sucks and I want my health insurance fixed the way it was before I'm the first 17 year old to assassinate a political figure.

Censored

(I'm partially kidding I really hope crazy American officials don't show up at my house now while I'm on tumblr or something)

Blame your insurance company. They did it, not Obama.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
So, last year I learned that Converse All-Stars are not suitable snow shoes.

This year, I learned that they also do not protect against falling, heavy blocks of wood.

Weeping

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I learned that I am suspected of soc-ing ALMASSAH.
I didn't do it.
I am informed that they are making their decision and it don't look good.

This may be goodbye!
03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
About pilot-wave dynamics. Well, I read about it at least. And watched a beautiful bouncy ball bounce beautifully. Rolleyes

I also just learnt that Misanthropik apparently wears his shoes on his head. Shoes go on your feet, deary. For protection against falling blocks of wood (though why don't you just come forward and admit that someone was chucking them at you, is beyond me Rolleyes ), I suggest something along the lines of this renaissance beauty:

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

Or maybe even this, for an especially special occasion...

[Image: ku-medium.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
For the sake of all the guys, I'll put it in a spoiler brackets. So, today I learnt, that you can
break a penis:

"There are no bones in the penis, but it can, in fact, become "broken." Doctors refer to the injury as a "penile fracture," and it's every bit as harrowing as you'd imagine.

"[Penile fracture] is a severe form of bending injury to the erect penis that occurs when a membrane called the tunica albuginea tears," explains Hunter Wessells — chair of the urology department at the University of Washington School of Medicine. He continues:

So how does a penis actually, you know, break? According to Wessels, any form of vigorous intercourse when the penis is rammed into a solid structure... "during sexual acrobatics," for instance.

"We had this patient who suffered penile fracture after running across the room and trying to penetrate his wife with a flying leap," he says.

I'm still laughing out loud at the last sentence.

And no, I'm not gonna make a joke about whether or not I learnt it the hard way. Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like Vera's post