What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(08-01-2014 01:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... That's just amazing...

Isn't it though! When I'm filthy rich and doing nothing but travel around the world, climbing planes and jumping from mountains, riding sharks and diving with elephants, I am so gonna do that (it would appear you need sketches and formulas and stuff, so might need some help with the math though Tongue)

[Image: Simon-Beck-Snow-Art-5.jpg]

[Image: Les-Arcs.jpg?1332542852]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-01-2014, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 01:16 PM by Vera.)
Just this second, actually - that biltong means buttocktongue. Not too sure how I feel about it. But hey, I'm not too sure how I feel about a lot of things these days. Drinking Beverage

On the other hand, now dikdik biltong suddenly offers almost limitless possibilities. (Yeah, Tartarus, I dislike lavatory humour. This however, is more sexual. And anyway, I, too, can be crass, if I want to, so back off Dodgy )

18-01-2014, 09:16 AM
About the Maunder Minimum (and that we might just be heading for a new one). Apparently, besides rising, the sun also sleeps (still think Hemingway was a jerk. A jerk who knew a thing or two about cocktails, but still - a massive jerk).

[Image: vector-86387076.jpg]

(I, too, could do with some hibernation, to be honest... Or a cocktail. Not quite sure which Confused )

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
18-01-2014, 11:26 AM
People change faster than you have time to blink.
18-01-2014, 03:22 PM
(18-01-2014 11:26 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  People change faster than you have time to blink.

Correction:
People can make it look like they changed faster than you can blink.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-01-2014, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2014 03:27 PM by Vera.)
About sperm-on-a-stick.

"Springtails have evolved a rather strange way of mating. The males of these tiny soil-dwelling arthropods never actually get to meet their partners — instead, they deposit drops of sperm on sticks for discriminating females.

Male members of the springtail species make no effort to meet females. Instead, they roam around leaves, pausing every now and then for a few seconds, leaving behind white stalks topped by globes that hold about 1,000 sperm (sounds suspiciously like my high school experience). These globules are covered in a shiny coating that preserves the sperm for up to two days.

This leads to some unconventional male-to-male competition. As biologist Zaira Valentina Zizzari points out, rivals search for sperm just to destroy it. And by destroy she means they eat it."

I guess that's one species that doesn't suffer from shyness and performance anxiety. I bet, however, that bursting one's bubble is a much crueler thing among them (not that's a good thing to burst people's bubbles!).

[Image: ku-xlarge.png]

EDIT: And then, in my beloved Brazil, when they want some lovin', female monkeys throw rocks at the oblivious strong sex. Not really *my* experience in Brazil, but still - hilarious. Rolleyes

21-01-2014, 03:38 PM
There a difference between the work value and social aspects of a program. You can repair something if the seams are simply falling apart. But once the seam has fallen out, you must rebuild the entire foundation, and who wants to go through all the trouble?
21-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Today I learned that I forgot to charge my mp3 player from last time I went into town.
God damn it.
25-01-2014, 08:01 AM
About Chan's megastick. Am way too old (though probably not wise. Or mature) to find the name funny, but... well, I kinda do. Not even the fact that this creature is the stuff nightmares are made of is helping much. Blush

I also learnt that the elephant shark is the slowest evolving vertebrate: "Recently, scientists mapped the genome of this creature, revealing DNA that's barely changed for nearly 420 million years. To put that into perspective, dinosaurs didn't emerge until the Triassic period, some 230 million years ago."

But, frankly, would you wanna change, if you looked like this?

[Image: elephant_shark.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-01-2014, 04:42 PM
God damn it, I forgot to charge my mp3 player again...

fml