What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
29-06-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(29-06-2016 07:42 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 11:21 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Am I a terrible person that I really wish my nuns would have spanked some of the girls in my class?

..... yes! Tongue

But some of them looked really good in those school uniforms.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
29-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Plaid skirts and white blouses for the win! Big Grin

I think there may be...a war in heaven
Paradise beneath the smoking gun
As every saint and small town saviour
Race to justify their chosen one
~ Robert Plant, Another Tribe
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
31-07-2016, 08:50 AM
What rebbelibs (and medos and mattangs) are.
[Image: 1280px-Micronesian_navigational_chart.jpg]

Human ingenuity is, indeed, as astounding, as that of complete fools*

The Polynesians, scattered as they were over 1,000 islands across the central and southern Pacific Ocean, were master navigators who tracked their way over huge expanses of ocean without any of the complex mechanical aids we associate with sea fairing. They didn’t have the astrolabe or the sextant, the compass or the chronometer. They did however have aids of a sort, which though seemingly humble, were in fact the repositories of an extremely complex kind of knowledge. Called Rebbelibs, Medos. and Mattangs, today we call them simply “Stick Charts.”

The “MATTANG” or “WAPPEPE” is a small, square shaped chart which shows wave patterns around a single island or atoll and was used for teaching purposes only.

The “REBBELIB” is a general wave navigational chart mapping an entire chain, showing the relationships between the islands and the major ocean swells.

The “MEDO” covers only a few islands and is useful for specific voyages.

The charts were made by men from thin strips of coconut frond midribs or pandanus root. They were then bound together with coconut sennit in geometric patterns depicting sea currents around the low lying atolls. Small money cowrie shells or coral pebbles indicated islands and curved sticks represent wave patterns.

They were not carried on a voyage and the adult navigator gauged the wave patterns represented in the Stick Charts entirely by his sense of touch. “He would crouch in the bow of his canoe and literally feel every motion of the vessel.” As with ripples in a pond they “concentrated on refraction of swells as they came in contact with undersea slopes of islands and the bending of swells around islands as they interacted with swells coming from opposite directions.”.

[Image: 01-A926-1_noscale-002-DMNS-1046x1024.jpg]

(The Wind episode of Dr. Iain Stewart’s wonderful How Earth Made Us series has an extremely interesting bit about people spreading across the islands in the Pacific, starting some 3000 years ago… and, apparently, going *against* the direction of the wind… in tiny wooden canoes. And they did it thanks to El Niño, which weakens trade winds or even completely changes their directions every so often. Fascinating stuff and one just has to admire what ingenious and persevering little buggers we are. Sometimes…)

*“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” – Douglas Adams

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
31-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Well not today, but I've learned a long time ago that an old man can shit quicker than he can piss. .... just fyi.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-07-2016, 12:37 PM
"avoiding the wildflowers
he squats...
sumo champion"

[Image: quote-sometimes-the-best-way-to-learn-so...-62-96.jpg]

Eh, Girly? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
07-08-2016, 07:52 AM
https://www.facebook.com/kripu.kasumarth...972221362/

Sorry, I can't figure out how to import this. It's a short video and it's mind blowing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-08-2016, 03:29 PM
(07-08-2016 07:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  https://www.facebook.com/kripu.kasumarth...972221362/

Sorry, I can't figure out how to import this. It's a short video and it's mind blowing.

Amazing. How anybody can look at the scope of the universe and conclude that we are the central point of it all is beyond me. If there was an intelligent creator then it's clear that we're an unintended and totally inconsequential speck that hasn't even been noticed.

The universe revealed by science is MUCH more inspiring than anything religion can offer.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-08-2016, 03:43 PM
(07-08-2016 07:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  https://www.facebook.com/kripu.kasumarth...972221362/

I think I saw this at it at uni some 25-30 years ago. The whole class was like "Whoa! It don't matter whether you zoom out or in it's all the same." And then we smoked some grass and watched it again.

You gotta go find it on youtube 'cause FaceBook's a dick like that.

14-08-2016, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2016 09:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
What anhedonia and psychomotor retardation mean. Not cool. No

14-08-2016, 08:04 PM
(14-08-2016 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What anhedonia and psychomotor retardation mean. Not cool. No

I watched that entire video. Sadcryface

I think there may be...a war in heaven
Paradise beneath the smoking gun
As every saint and small town saviour
Race to justify their chosen one
~ Robert Plant, Another Tribe
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post