What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
21-11-2012, 01:18 PM
What Did You Learn Today?
I don't know if there's been a thread like this before (I haven't been here that long), but I thought it would be cool to have a thread in which we state what we've learned on a given day. It should be a goal of each one of us to seek to gain new knowledge each day, and with a thread in which to post it, we have the opportunity to benefit others as well. It could be anything from information of paramount importance, to the completely trivial. It is my personal belief that there is no "useless" information to be had.

For me, I learned that the "G" in "gmail" stands for "Google". This was made all the more impressive by the fact that I learned it from a 7-year-old.

I really should've known that. Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Misanthropik's post
21-11-2012, 01:37 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
I've learned that a shitty professor can actually make you fail a class even if you put all your effort in it Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
21-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I learned that humans are in two scientific classes: Synapsida and Mammalia, although I couldn't figure out why we are placed in two classes. I though everything was in one of each of Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species? Does anyone else know why we would be placed in two classes?

Contribute to the Community Resource!
21-11-2012, 04:15 PM
(21-11-2012 01:18 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  For me, I learned that the "G" in "gmail" stands for "Google". This was made all the more impressive by the fact that I learned it from a 7-year-old.

Oh yeah smarty pants, what's the "she" in "shemale" for? I bet your 7 year old doesn't know that now, does he?

Come to think of it, neither do I.

Come to think of something else, better not ask a 7 year old that question...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
21-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I learnt what the active ingredients of prescription medicine against heartburn are and what exactly they do.
I also learnt what Almased is and how it works.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
21-11-2012, 04:17 PM
(21-11-2012 03:47 PM)Near Wrote:  I learned that humans are in two scientific classes: Synapsida and Mammalia, although I couldn't figure out why we are placed in two classes. I though everything was in one of each of Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species? Does anyone else know why we would be placed in two classes?

To my understanding species are placed in classes based on their traits compatible with those of their ancestors in said class and then built up by adding on the new species unique traits that match with a different class, I figure it's like a tier kind of thing. Just keep building up class.

I learned... uh.. I have not learnt much yet today. I'll check back once I get home from school later in the day, how about that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
21-11-2012, 04:37 PM
I learned what a Haiku is.

I also learned that my poem in the Haiku thread had one line too many Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
21-11-2012, 06:32 PM
I learned about brine shrimp.

No, wait, that's not it. Ummmm...

No, I learned about brining a turkey. Yeah, that's it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Today I learned that my psychiatrist hasn't returned two of my therapist's phone calls and ignored a pharmacy fax for a refill. That's 3 strikes. Time to find another psychiatrist. Maybe this one won't have Star Wars figures on his shelf and won't tell me to read a book about Buddhism to feel better.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
21-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Erx, that's a super irresponsible psychiatrist. You should report them. Or punch his lights out. Or both. Yeah.

I learned that apparently I wasn't going in for a root canal today at all, but instead just a filling which I've never had before and don't enjoy. It feels like I have something stuck in my tooth and I keep tonguing it trying to get it out.

Also I learned just now how to spell tonguing.

I also learned that winamp is better than mediamonkey. I also learned that if I'm just not that jazzed about a song I can't learn how to play it on guitar no matter how simple it is. Damn you Rudolph... Damn you.

That is all.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post