• 4 Votes - 4 Average
26-06-2013, 07:24 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/texas...e-19497278

Happy 500th anniversary, Texas Undecided
I'm not THAT bloodthirsty, damn!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 03:51 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I learned that H.P. Lovecraft's well-known character Cthulhu was influenced by Babylonian mythology. Many scholars consider his story "Dagon" to be a precursor to Cthulhu. Dagon/Dagan was a somewhat major Babylonian fertility god (I actually already knew this since "dagan" has been a part of my hotmail address for the last 15 years). He was actually known during the time of the bible. For example, it is the temple dedicated to Dagon that Samson tears down. Anyways, during the middle ages, scholars confused the Hebrew word for fish (dagh) with Dagon, resulting in his image as a half-man-half-fish deity. The near east had legends about fish men coming from the sea and teaching knowledge to mankind, so this explains the fish men of "Dagon" and Cthulhu's fish-like appearance.

The best part is that some creationists have tried to use Dagon's mistaken fish form as evidence of faint remembrance of Noah and the world flood.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 05:57 PM
If you're in a position of authority, and you screw the lives of 1/3 your staff to fulfill a delusional reward that you're just longing to come true, you deserve to get markings in your face, and a platinum boot up your butt. Hobo If you think there is some kind of invisible master that you can manipulate by doing unthinkable deeds, someone needs to give you a jacket instead of that particular chair.
03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
That pickaxes really aren't my forte (Latin implications of the word totally intended).

Sorry for the self-involved, only-(mildly)-interesting-to-me post in this particular thread. Won't happen again. (Most likely.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
05-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Today I've learned that they have invented a telescopic contact lens. How cool is that?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02...34627.html

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
05-07-2013, 12:36 AM
(05-07-2013 12:30 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Today I've learned that they have invented a telescopic contact lens. How cool is that?

Just need to be able to implement adjustable telescopic lenses for my glasses, with toggle-able night vision. After that?
Fun times!
... a holographic proximity radar in one lens would be great!

Google! It's time to update your Glasses!

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
05-07-2013, 12:38 AM
(05-07-2013 12:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 12:30 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Today I've learned that they have invented a telescopic contact lens. How cool is that?

Just need to be able to implement adjustable telescopic lenses for my glasses, with toggle-able night vision. After that?
Fun times!

By "fun times" you mean lots of time and ability to peeping tom discreetlyDrinking Beverage

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
05-07-2013, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 12:57 AM by Free Thought.)
(05-07-2013 12:38 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 12:36 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Just need to be able to implement adjustable telescopic lenses for my glasses, with toggle-able night vision. After that?
Fun times!

By "fun times" you mean lots of time and ability to peeping tom discreetlyDrinking Beverage

Oh puh-lease. I'm not Steven, you know!

I could go places at night and see near perfectly! And I could watch animals from afar! Plus it'd be interesting to be somewhere like Mt. Lofty with telescopic glasses, all the nature I could see! Or more importantly, all the fires in summer!

Besides, I find people too boring and annoying to bother watching them. unless of course I had some kind of vested interest in them, and I can't think of a reason why I ever would have an interest like that in another human. Without being paid for keeping tabs on the person that is, and the likelihood of my getting paid to sky on people is very low indeed.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
05-07-2013, 04:19 AM
(05-07-2013 12:53 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 12:38 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  By "fun times" you mean lots of time and ability to peeping tom discreetlyDrinking Beverage

Oh puh-lease. I'm not Steven, you know!

I could go places at night and see near perfectly! And I could watch animals from afar! Plus it'd be interesting to be somewhere like Mt. Lofty with telescopic glasses, all the nature I could see! Or more importantly, all the fires in summer!

Besides, I find people too boring and annoying to bother watching them. unless of course I had some kind of vested interest in them, and I can't think of a reason why I ever would have an interest like that in another human. Without being paid for keeping tabs on the person that is, and the likelihood of my getting paid to sky on people is very low indeed.

When was I a peeping Tom? Confused

Well. Ok, there was that one time Tongue.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Re: What Did You Learn Today?
I'm with you ft. It would be bloody awesome to have a pair. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post