What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
30-12-2013, 11:39 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
that I didn't realize how many times a day I actually petted the dog, talked to the dog, heard or felt his tail thumping, heard the jingle of his collar, and a million other little things.

11 years went by too fast.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
30-12-2013, 11:50 AM
(30-12-2013 09:57 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Wow! Only Japan could create something so insane.

I'm looking over Takeuchi-san's site. "Time Slips Away" with theremin, piano, musical saw... and now I have to see what a Matryol is... A whole album of of theremin music. Don't know if I could handle that. But I do actually like the theremin. Hauntingly beautiful if done right (such as in The Day The Earth Stood Still). And oh yes, Midsomer Murders!

EDIT: http://www.mandarinelectron-shop.com/sho...002/order/

Well, seeing as I can barely stand the organ, because it sounds way too mechanical, definitely not my idea of a musical instrument. Sound effects - yes. Music - not by a long shot.

And that sea of blank faces and weirdly moving fingers in the video clip... all of a sudden I feel like I've been transported into a horrid dystopia, combining the bottle-bred uniformity on Brave New World with the bleak hopelessness of 1984. (Can't imagine how it would have felt if they were playing, I don't know, Mozart's Requiem or something... Blink )

Only antidote I can think of, is this very sweet performance (even if it was set up by a bank, of all things...)

(I also happen to think that the conductor is rather cute. Blush I guess I've always had a thing for musicians... well, real ones at least, not those bozos who pick up the guitar to impress girls at parties by playing the same three songs over and over again Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
02-01-2014, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 10:42 AM by Vera.)
About kleptoplasts and E. chlorotica.

"A kleptoplast is an organism that steals genes from other organisms, usually by eating them. Usually those stolen genes don't actually function, but not so in the case of the leafy green E. chlorotica sea slug. This little guy uses plant genes to generate its own photosynthesis factory - after eating its favorite kind of algae, the E. chlorotica can live entirely on solar power for up to a year."

This is cool (albeit creepy) on so many levels. And oh-so-green. Smile

[Image: original.jpg] [Image: original.jpg]

Also, supertasks (a countably infinite sequence of operations that occur sequentially within a finite interval of time). Frankly, there are (way too many) days where I would be infinitely grateful if I could manage/bring myself to do even a single thing in any interval of time, finite or infinite Undecided

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
About the sarcastic fringehead.

Nothing much to add to that name, other than an equally awesome picture.

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
(04-01-2014 12:56 PM)Vera Wrote:  About the sarcastic fringehead.

Nothing much to add to that name, other than an equally awesome picture.

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

That's not the weirdest thing I've ever seen, but it certainly is among the top ten.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
04-01-2014, 05:09 PM
(04-01-2014 04:24 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That's not the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

That's nothing. You should hear some of its sarcastic remarks. Then you'll be the one gaping like that (thought possibly not as colourfully.)

(I also learnt about the Mandelbulb. Am having this nagging suspicion that what I like most about it, is the name. Sounds like a character from a children's book. Possibly by Tove Jansson. Which reminds me that I should reread them. It's time for regressing. Again. Rolleyes )

[Image: Power8side-small.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Today I learned that I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea of not having free will.
I read two chapters from Sam Harris' book and now my brain hurtsHuh
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
(30-12-2013 11:39 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  that I didn't realize how many times a day I actually petted the dog, talked to the dog, heard or felt his tail thumping, heard the jingle of his collar, and a million other little things.

11 years went by too fast.

Hug

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
About Simon Beck. I might just be in love Heart

"The designs range from festive snow flakes to trompe- l’oiel three dimensional squares to star bursts and spirograph patterns. Walking extremely carefully, the artist sometimes spends nine hours at a time laying down the meticulous patterned tracks. Each step must be done perfectly the first time, as the soft snow is unforgiving. When the snow is too shallow, Beck has used shovels to create less detailed patterns, still achieving incredible detail.

Beck is a fan of producing mathematical patterns that have different effects when viewed from various vantage points in the changing light throughout the day. Preferring to achieve the 3D effects, he loves to snap his creations when the sun is at its highest point, causing the most contrast on the designs across the lake."

[Image: snow-art9.jpg]

[Image: snow-art8.jpg]

[Image: o-SIMON-900.jpg?5]

[Image: o-SIMON-900.jpg?6]

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
08-01-2014, 01:17 PM
(08-01-2014 11:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  About Simon Beck. I might just be in love Heart

... That's just amazing...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.