What Do You Do/Did For A Living?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 08:52 AM
What Do You Do/Did For A Living?
Share what do or have done for a living or for work/career.

I am at this moment an admin/AP/AR for a surveillance co.

I have had on the past many different job as a temp service employee. Mostly a bookkeeper of one sort or another. I would bet I've probably worked at more places than anyone here.

What do you do?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
23-05-2016, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 09:03 AM by skyking.)
RE: What Do You Do/Did For A Living?
you may have, but as a union equipment operator in the wet country I get many dispatches for short jobs. I'd guess 40 employers in the last 25 years.
This, plus:
CTO for a few small businesses. Big title, few hours. This is ongoing, a side job I have done for 15 years or so. I build the wire plant, phone systems, network, servers, and then do moves and changes as needed.
Commercial pilot and flight instructor
^Banner Tow Pilot Big Grin
Bedbugger - one trip across the US and back.
Aerospace manufacturing and inspection
Farming - a catchall phrase that includes carpentry, welding, design, fabrication, management, truck driving
Sears service tech
[+] 6 users Like skyking's post
23-05-2016, 09:12 AM
I work in research. I'm not a scientist but I work with scientists. At the moment I'm at a Diabetes research center. Research Administration is one of those fields most people don't realize even exists until they find themselves working in it, lol. All the money that funds scientific research, billions of dollars every year, from government agencies, to charitable foundations, to corporations etc all starts out as some kind of research proposal. I help the scientists write the proposals, and the ones that get awarded, I help work on the agreements that come in. There's another whole group who makes sure they spend the money according to the rules and that we get paid.

I've always found it amazing, these doctors I work with, they're at the top of their field - they're all Harvard faculty, they win awards like you wouldn't believe, all the accolades you can imagine. They save and improve lives every day. But it takes a college drop-out like me with 3/4 of an Art Education degree to keep them from running their labs into total ruin or violating basic laws and getting hauled off to jail.
[+] 9 users Like Mr. Boston's post
23-05-2016, 09:23 AM
I make custom window coverings, bedding, slipcovers, decorative pillows and many other items for high end interior designers. It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. Angry

I also design costumes for theatrical productions around the city. I'm designing costumes for Jesus Christ Superstar this summer. The actor playing Jesus is gay and will be played gay. Judas will be played by a black female. This production will have a quick Solome-and-John-the-Baptist's-head-on-a-platter scene which isn't in the original production. It's gonna be fun.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 9 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-05-2016, 09:26 AM
I used to work before I went back to school. I tried my hand at bookkeeping and learned that I had some secret math skills hiding deep in my personality profile.

Up until fairly recently, I had been tutoring math to adult learners while I work on my degree in a math-heavy science. I plan to teach science and/or math in high school or in some kind of adult education program.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
23-05-2016, 09:27 AM
I was a business manager in CA, running an adult store, a custom-framing shop, and winding up as a district manager for BP overseeing gas stations in their Retail division.

The recession in 08 took care of that.

I'm a night manager at a gas station in the middle of Texas nowadays. Planning on starting school this fall aiming for a degree in psychology, the goal being to transition into addiction counseling.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
23-05-2016, 09:39 AM
(23-05-2016 09:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I also design costumes for theatrical productions around the city. I'm designing costumes for Jesus Christ Superstar this summer. The actor playing Jesus is gay and will be played gay. Judas will be played by a black female. This production will have a quick Solome-and-John-the-Baptist's-head-on-a-platter scene which isn't in the original production. It's gonna be fun.

Interesting take on the play......

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-05-2016, 09:39 AM
I drove truck across 48 states and 9 provinces, never got way up into the Newfoundland. I also ran a construction company in the Miami area when I tired of driving at the age of 37. I am now retired living in the Dominican Republic and my main job is picking up people at the airport as they come down for vacations,, but my main income is from Social Security that I paid into for 44 years. I also presently teach English as a volunteer in the Haitian ghetto outside Puerto Plata.
[+] 6 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
23-05-2016, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 11:17 AM by carol.)
I started work as a fine artist doing portraits, paintings, sculpture and ceramics. I also worked in a preschool as a young adult in college. I directed a preschool when I was a college student too, on a college campus.
I went to college for a BA in Special Ed and one in Fine Art.
My career was always a balance between teaching and art.
My next series of jobs were for an Independent Living Center- I did cognitive remediation programs for VESID, assistive technology evaluations, wrote plans , kept records for the place.
I continued as a teacher and eventually over the years I wound up teaching all of the grades between K-12! I taught computer classes, science, art, honors English classes, and the gifted classes. I wound up loving the older kids best. I like the challenge of it.
My current job is a sculptor. Although I have had sculptures in several galleries, at the moment I design and sculpt prototypes of guns. I have a new gun that will come out in the market in two years. I also own a small farm with an orchard, veggies, and bee hives. I love building things in general- and have done a lot of the construction on my house along with my husband. We try to live as independently as possible- our own food, our own honey, our own water from a well, our own wood, as simply as possible too.
I still paint, make jewelry, sculpt, do pottery, anything I can put my hands into. I love to make stuff.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 8 users Like carol's post
23-05-2016, 09:42 AM
I've worked as a receptionist for a software company (I actually met Timothy Leary and some pretty famous musicians working there), did custormer service and later worked as a paralegal for a huge law firm (Dewy Cheatum and Howe) in California, where I got to know a few of the Silicon Valley heavy hitters pretty well.

Then after kids and a huge move, I stopped working. Once I was more or less ok with the idea of returning to work, my younger son was Dx'd with autism -- so dealing with his issues kinda screwed me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 10 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post