What Do You Do/Did For A Living?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 01:51 PM
RE: What Do You Do/Did For A Living?
In my 20's I moved to The Netherlands. I lived there for ten years. I started off doing cleaning work. It's the best way to learn the language, there's less English spoken. I was a cleaner in the Dutch parliament. I then worked delivering government post internally and externally as a courier. Finally I became a valet. I'd have to dress up in tails, shirt and bowtie. It was interesting working in the main chamber ensuring the speaker, ministers and members were looked after. I also came in contact with various visiting foreign dignitaries. Working part time enabled me to attend art college and play in a rock band. Funny, tails and shirt in the day and doc martens and combats in evening.

Strangest job was as a cleaner in a brothel. I did it for a few weeks. Six street windows + six bedrooms. Since then I hate cleaning mirrors....Tongue. I returned to Ireland 18 years ago. I work part time in the European office of an American company. Customer care , call center work for the Netherlands department. So learning Dutch came in handy. I still do a bit of music and I intend getting back into art.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Marozz's post
23-05-2016, 02:02 PM
(23-05-2016 12:09 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 11:04 AM)julep Wrote:  When my son was diagnosed with developmental delay (later with autism), I needed a more flexible schedule, so I stopped teaching college and began instead teaching music lessons and doing medical transcription from my house.

(23-05-2016 09:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Once I was more or less ok with the idea of returning to work, my younger son was Dx'd with autism -- so dealing with his issues kinda screwed me.

Our middle child is special needs. His diagnosis includes autism.

Keeps things interesting.

My daughter has Asperger Syndrome. She's 16 yrs old and thing's are certainly kept very interesting. Tongue It's one reason I work part time so I can be at home in case something pops up.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 7 users Like Marozz's post
23-05-2016, 02:09 PM
I'm an electrical engineer by degree. Held jobs writing software, doing field engineering work for a utility, and I currently manage engineers and systems analysts.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 6 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
23-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Haven't had a "real" job for a while, now. Too embarrassed to tell anybody about it, 'cept immediate family members. Had to do something while waiting on some other things, so went out & became a "scrapper". Blush Look up craigslistKC: free stuff, and look for metal. Go get it, then take it to the scrap yard. I thought it would be temporary; like this shiz would dry up, or the good stuff would all get taken. But it's everyday. Every. Single. Day. An endless river of steel, iron, aluminum, copper, etc...

Been thinking about creating my own little LLC. Shy Iz nice not having a superior wagging his finger at ya from time to time. Tongue So long as the bills get paid with a little extra left over, I'm good with it.

[+] 9 users Like TheGulegon's post
23-05-2016, 02:34 PM
(23-05-2016 02:23 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Haven't had a "real" job for a while, now. Too embarrassed to tell anybody about it, 'cept immediate family members. Had to do something while waiting on some other things, so went out & became a "scrapper". Blush Look up craigslistKC: free stuff, and look for metal. Go get it, then take it to the scrap yard. I thought it would be temporary; like this shiz would dry up, or the good stuff would all get taken. But it's everyday. Every. Single. Day. An endless river of steel, iron, aluminum, copper, etc...

Been thinking about creating my own little LLC. Shy Iz nice not having a superior wagging his finger at ya from time to time. Tongue So long as the bills get paid with a little extra left over, I'm good with it.

Ohh, very interesting. Does it make as much as you'd like? Or at least enough for you to be comfortable? Only answer if you are comfortable answering.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
23-05-2016, 02:38 PM
(23-05-2016 10:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  fixture work

Among other things I need 22 of these.

[Image: Large%20Rollover_zpsbtodylyo.jpg]

If you can deliver all of them in 6 months for $300K the job is yours.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
23-05-2016, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 03:17 PM by TheGulegon.)
(23-05-2016 02:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 02:23 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Haven't had a "real" job for a while, now. Too embarrassed to tell anybody about it, 'cept immediate family members. Had to do something while waiting on some other things, so went out & became a "scrapper". Blush Look up craigslistKC: free stuff, and look for metal. Go get it, then take it to the scrap yard. I thought it would be temporary; like this shiz would dry up, or the good stuff would all get taken. But it's everyday. Every. Single. Day. An endless river of steel, iron, aluminum, copper, etc...

Ohh, very interesting. Does it make as much as you'd like? Or at least enough for you to be comfortable? Only answer if you are comfortable answering.

It depends on how lazy I'm feeling on any given day. Blush
This morning I dropped a load gathered over the weekend for $150. Had another load stored in the garage cuz the place was closed yesterday, for another $100. All before lunch. Coulda kept going, but I didn't feel like driving all the way into the city, today, cuz rain clouds, and screw it, anyway. Laugh out load
You're looking at the potential for $500 a day, roughly, for nothing but scrap iron & steel you can fit into the bed of a pick-up truck. Non ferrous metals net twice that almost. Washers, dryers, grills, smokers, etc.. that still work can be sold either downtown, or at this place in Blue Springs.
I ain't gonna have to turn off the Comcast cable, or give up rum, if that's what you're asking. Tongue

[Edit] Okay so I lied. Blush Dude just texted me a picture & asked if I wanted this shiz. I do. Shy
BBL.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
23-05-2016, 02:57 PM
(23-05-2016 02:38 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 10:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  fixture work

Among other things I need 22 of these.

[Image: Large%20Rollover_zpsbtodylyo.jpg]

If you can deliver all of them in 6 months for $300K the job is yours.

Good pay..

But, you'd want to use a CNC mill for that....

My vertical mill doesn't even have a DRO.... Can you imagine trying to plot all the holes, counting turns, reading the verniers (especially in -x and -y, where you have to go backwards on the verniers) and making sure you account backlash???

It COULD be done -- years back they DID shit that way..... Machinists used to have to be half artist, half lunatic to do stuff like that on manual machines....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-05-2016, 03:02 PM
We've already delivered 17 of them on a different contract. According to the first manufacturer (who isn't interested in doing any more) the hard part was the welding because they had to be heated to 600 F before welding then put them back in the oven if they go below 500. That and the flatness tolerance. They have to be surface ground after welding. They hold helicopter transmissions so all the tolerances are tight.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
23-05-2016, 03:40 PM
(23-05-2016 02:56 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  It depends on how lazy I'm feeling on any given day. Blush
This morning I dropped a load gathered over the weekend for $150. Had another load stored in the garage cuz the place was closed yesterday, for another $100. All before lunch. Coulda kept going, but I didn't feel like driving all the way into the city, today, cuz rain clouds, and screw it, anyway. Laugh out load
You're looking at the potential for $500 a day, roughly, for nothing but scrap iron & steel you can fit into the bed of a pick-up truck. Non ferrous metals net twice that almost. Washers, dryers, grills, smokers, etc.. that still work can be sold either downtown, or at this place in Blue Springs.
I ain't gonna have to turn off the Comcast cable, or give up rum, if that's what you're asking. Tongue

[Edit] Okay so I lied. Blush Dude just texted me a picture & asked if I wanted this shiz. I do. Shy
BBL.
Man, that sounds sweet. I like it. Plus if you are good at finding stuff you could probably easily do it on the side on top of a different job. $$$$$$$.

Nice!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.