What Does "Being A Real Man" Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 09:54 PM
RE: What Does "Being A Real Man" Mean To You?
(08-02-2016 09:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Waking up with a woodie. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 998e81b2137ff997b4f6465fbada11cd_width_640x.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
08-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Nothing

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Becoming a real man (as opposed to a real child) happens very soon after you become a real father.

Or should do.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-02-2016, 01:06 AM
Real man huh? Well, I try not to be a dick. I manage to fall of the not-a-dick wagon fairly regularly though, and besides, it's not unqualified not-a-dick-ness. I like barking at people I think deserve it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
09-02-2016, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 01:55 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(08-02-2016 02:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  For anyone:
What does being a "real man" mean to you?
Do you think that boys are lacking in this training in our current times and culture as opposed to previous cultural and historical times?

Like many others, I don't buy into the "real man" crap. Men don't show their emotions, the more women the better, beer-drinking and hell-raising, and other ideas and images associated with being a real man are crap, to my mind. And the gender specificity is unnecessary.

A decent person is respectful and considerate in the absence of undue provocation, and personally responsible. That person holds hold integrity, honor, and accountability to be important values. Standing your ground when you are right, conceding your errors and making amends when you are wrong. Living an honest life, and doing no harm to others who aren't actively harming you -- and even then, only in defense.

I see some kids coming up who are great on this score, and some who make me shudder.

(08-02-2016 02:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Some questions for the men here:
Where or from whom, did you learn to be a man?

My adoptive father, mainly. He'd say "I walk, talk, smoke, and joke", which roughly meant he didn't go starting shit, he certainly didn't take it, but he preferred a good laugh to most anything else.

(08-02-2016 02:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Are you still learning, is it an ongoing thing?

At my age, I sometimes feel ossified, as if I'm the grumpy old man griping about "those damned kids!", but then at other times, I still feel like a kid, and occasionally still act in a childish manner -- so the answer is yes, I'm still learning. A work-in-progress. I'm new to recovery from my alcoholism (sober since January Smile), and a big part of that is self-inventory: what you've done right, and more importantly, what you've done wrong. I see many, many flaws in myself which need addressing, which I'm addressing at this moment, and then I'm sure others will come to light as this process unfolds.

Being self-honest is, to me, another mark of being a good person.

(08-02-2016 02:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Did you have an ideal man that you tried to emulate?

Dad, when I was younger. But it turns out he wasn't so ideal. All our giants have feet of clay; he was no different.

(08-02-2016 02:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Do you try to teach/share that to other young males/boys?

That is my responsibility with my son. And I do consider mentoring to be important, even as I know that when it isn't wanted it can even be counterproductive; so I'm careful how I go about that with children not my own.

Great thread here, thanks for starting it.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-02-2016, 05:30 AM
(08-02-2016 06:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Can't I just wrestle with the birds and shag the gator?

Of course, around here we call that the easy option though Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
09-02-2016, 07:11 AM
You're a real man when you're able to do what you like, without worrying about the derision of those who wish you'd conform.

If working the high steel, marrying your high school sweetheart and having 2.5 kids is your aspiration in life and you achieve it, then you're a "real man".

If however, you like wearing a dress, driving a Prius, drinking latte and dating a hulking, hairy guy named Bruno - and that's what you want to do --- that makes you a "real man" as well....

You're only a phony when you're trying to live up to someone else's expectations.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 9 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-02-2016, 09:08 AM
A real man can drive a Prius?

This, from a Michigander?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-02-2016, 09:17 AM
(09-02-2016 09:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A real man can drive a Prius?

Real men care about the environment.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
09-02-2016, 09:20 AM
(09-02-2016 09:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A real man can drive a Prius?

I don't think much of the Tigers or the Lions either....

I flunked "Mandatory Tribalism" in High School....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post