What Does "Being A Real Man" Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 02:22 AM
RE: What Does "Being A Real Man" Mean To You?
The phrase "Be a real man" is meaningless.

It's actually quite a derogatory term used to try and put someone down by suggesting that they are something less than a man. Perhaps a boy or a girl's blouse.

A matey way of saying it is to phrase it as "man up" as a less derogatory, more nudge, nudge to egg someone on to confront a difficult situation.

It's not meant to say that a person is more woman (or girl) than man.

Other derogatory terms along those lines are:
"You throw like a girl", "you scream like a girl", "don't be such a pussy"

I personally don't think any time should be spent trying to consider what a man is and whether you are acting like one or not. Just be yourself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
11-02-2016, 07:25 AM
(11-02-2016 02:22 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Other derogatory terms along those lines are:
"You throw like a girl", "don't be such a pussy"

I don't get how these are derogatory, especially don't be a pussy. I mean that would mean don't be a dick would be derogatory. I can see throw like a girl, but girls are on average physically weaker then men, so it is a harsher way of saying dude your weak. I can understand why people don't like it though.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-02-2016, 09:49 AM
(11-02-2016 07:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 02:22 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Other derogatory terms along those lines are:

I don't get how these are derogatory, especially don't be a pussy. I mean that would mean don't be a dick would be derogatory. I can see throw like a girl, but girls are on average physically weaker then men, so it is a harsher way of saying dude your weak. I can understand why people don't like it though.

"Don't be a dick." is a gender based and sexist derogatory statement. All gender based insults are sexist and derogatory. Any statement that says "you are lesser then because of your gender is sexist and an insult. So yes, "you throw like a girl" is a gender based insult when used towards a male. When you call someone a pussy, a cunt or a dick it's a gender based and sexist remark. I don't use these because of that and I don't join discussions where this kind of denigration is used.

I consider it like this: If, "yes, it's an insult because girls are lesser than boys and being called a girl is an insult" then I don't use it. The same applies to using male gender as an insult, even though there are much fewer male gender insults than female.

Your gender should never be used as an insult. We have no control over our gender, it is not an insult to be one or the other and it's very ignorant, since people should be criticized or insulted for their behaviors, not their physical descriptions. Your physical appearance or gender is not hurtful to anyone, only your behaviors are.

I refuse to communicate with people who are so ignorant that they resort to gender insults.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
11-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Weeping Busted.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-02-2016, 10:43 AM
(11-02-2016 07:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

Throwing is as much a mechanical action of form over something done well via strength. When you're a competitive style athlete then it gets there.

The pussy thing is strange too because Pussy's aren't weak. They're pretty damn tough and designed to expand to push out babies. If any genitalia should be the metaphor for weakness it is the testicles. They're sensitive and exposed for easy attack.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-02-2016, 10:54 AM
(11-02-2016 10:43 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 07:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I don't get how these are derogatory, especially don't be a pussy. I mean that would mean don't be a dick would be derogatory. I can see throw like a girl, but girls are on average physically weaker then men, so it is a harsher way of saying dude your weak. I can understand why people don't like it though.

Throwing is as much a mechanical action of form over something done well via strength. When you're a competitive style athlete then it gets there.

The pussy thing is strange too because Pussy's aren't weak. They're pretty damn tough and designed to expand to push out babies. If any genitalia should be the metaphor for weakness it is the testicles. They're sensitive and exposed for easy attack.

[Image: betty.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
11-02-2016, 10:58 AM
(11-02-2016 01:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 12:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I couldn't get laid in high school to save my life. Thought I was going to die a virgin.

Sad

Believe me, teen sex is not what it's cracked up to be. At least not for most girls, don't know for guys. Most women/girls don't orgasm during sex with males until well into their 20's or 30's and some never do. So... at least you weren't some poor girls' big disappointment. Smile

edit: That really was meant to be consoling. Not sure if it reads that way now though. Sad

Yeah, I definitely had a "gee, thanks" moment there, Heath. 'Ppreciate ya. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-02-2016, 11:03 AM
This discussion is too civil. I was hoping it would get more heated so I could say stop arguing like a bunch of women.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
11-02-2016, 11:28 AM
(11-02-2016 10:43 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 07:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I don't get how these are derogatory, especially don't be a pussy. I mean that would mean don't be a dick would be derogatory. I can see throw like a girl, but girls are on average physically weaker then men, so it is a harsher way of saying dude your weak. I can understand why people don't like it though.

I think both are though because I read somewhere a good kick in the balls, is more painful than even child birth. Some men are used to it as well. But both are still strange looking.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-02-2016, 11:32 AM
(11-02-2016 11:03 AM)yakherder Wrote:  This discussion is too civil. I was hoping it would get more heated so I could say stop arguing like a bunch of women.

Dodgy Tongue