What Does "Being A Real Man" Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: What Does "Being A Real Man" Mean To You?
(11-02-2016 01:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 09:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  "Don't be a dick." is a gender based and sexist derogatory statement. All gender based insults are sexist and derogatory. Any statement that says "you are lesser then because of your gender is sexist and an insult. So yes, "you throw like a girl" is a gender based insult when used towards a male. When you call someone a pussy, a cunt or a dick it's a gender based and sexist remark. I don't use these because of that and I don't join discussions where this kind of denigration is used.

I consider it like this: If, "yes, it's an insult because girls are lesser than boys and being called a girl is an insult" then I don't use it. The same applies to using male gender as an insult, even though there are much fewer male gender insults than female.

Your gender should never be used as an insult. We have no control over our gender, it is not an insult to be one or the other and it's very ignorant, since people should be criticized or insulted for their behaviors, not their physical descriptions. Your physical appearance or gender is not hurtful to anyone, only your behaviors are.

I refuse to communicate with people who are so ignorant that they resort to gender insults.

I think it's based on intent as to whether or not something is derogatory. I do use terms (and used one in my post) "don't be dick," "put on your big girl panties," "calm your tits," "don't be a pussy," and my new fave "get the sand out of your vagina." But I use all of these terms with my male and female friends interchangeably and I mean them in a joking fashion. I would agree that using terms like this in a serious fashion with the intent to verbally hurt another person is wrong. I don't think verbal abuse of any form is ever okay. However, with friends, I see no issue with telling my female friend who is being self-defeatist or whatever to get the sand out of her vagina. To me it's like saying to her: Don't be what society expects us to be like. Fight that stereotype. Suck it up like I know you can and move on.

I would agree the terms pussy or vagina can be viewed by some as weak (i.e. Stevil's example of "you throw like a girl") and therefore, sexist and derogatory. To me though, I don't really view statements like this as sexist or derogatory. To me, it is less derogatory and more of a societal statement. What I mean is that society does not typically teach women how to fight or be physical or run really fast or push themselves physically to extremes (all of which they are capable of). Little girls take dance classes and little boys go to football. At least this has been my experience where I grew up. No wonder women don't know how to harness their physicality and kick some ass since we are not reared that way in many cases. Women are taught it's okay to cry whereas men are typically taught to suck it up. Therefore, women are viewed by society as the softer, weaker sex.

When my Krav Maga instructor tells me I was fighting like a girl-it actually pushes me further to kick his ass. I know he does this on purpose because he knows it puts a fire in me and he knows what I am capable of--fighting harder and stronger--the way *society* would view a man to do.

I guess my point is that yes, these terms can be derogatory if that is where the intent is coming from. I also agree that I don't think it necessarily helps society's view of women to use these terms in a negative fashion. However, the bottom line is: Society is the problem. Women are reared to be the weaker sex, more emotional and men are raised the exact opposite. These terms are just a reflection of society's view of the female sex and are unfortunately, in some cases, accurate, due to how women are raised. I would love to see more women in videos like Girly posted. Changing how women are raised is going to help eradicate the use of these terms. Again, I can certainly see where you are coming from in viewing these terms as derogatory, for me, they actually push me further to prove a guy and society wrong.

And I think one of the ways to change that is to drop it from our common language usage. How can you raise girls to be stronger while you are also telling them it's an insult to be one. That is my point.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
11-02-2016, 03:51 PM
pussy (wimp) is to pussy (poontang) -- as weak is to week....................

They sound the same, and might even be spelled the same -- but they're not synonyms......

It's just more goofy English....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-02-2016, 03:51 PM
(11-02-2016 02:15 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 01:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Women are reared to be the weaker sex, more emotional and men are raised the exact opposite.

depends what you mean weaker? Also men are more emotional than women, however men deal with emotions buy hiding them, while females will communicate to deal with their emotions. I lost the source that showed that females are ,on average, way better with social and communication skills than men. I mean even within the guys I know, even being raised to express emotions, they don't do it often. Hell I am one of them. This is why you might see females express there emotions more, but they don't go off the chain like men do.

... But those are generally rather weak and narrow effects.

I seem to recall noting this before, but while there are a great many variables that correlate with gender in aggregate, the variance is generally high enough that even a statistically significant population difference is insignificant as a predictor on an individual level.
(leaving entirely aside the innate vs learned factors...)

... this is my signature!
11-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Staying with the ‘Western’ analogy

[Image: real-men-62012002352.jpg]

What I wish I would have come up with

[Image: a-real-man-will-break-your-headboard-not...-7f5d3.png]

I might have to re-read the manual, I may have forgotten something important...or not.

“The Maxims of Manhood”
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047DW...TF8&btkr=1

“His dog must be bigger than a toaster”...check Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2016, 06:28 PM
(11-02-2016 09:49 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 07:25 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I don't get how these are derogatory, especially don't be a pussy. I mean that would mean don't be a dick would be derogatory. I can see throw like a girl, but girls are on average physically weaker then men, so it is a harsher way of saying dude your weak. I can understand why people don't like it though.

"Don't be a dick." is a gender based and sexist derogatory statement. All gender based insults are sexist and derogatory. Any statement that says "you are lesser then because of your gender is sexist and an insult. So yes, "you throw like a girl" is a gender based insult when used towards a male. When you call someone a pussy, a cunt or a dick it's a gender based and sexist remark. I don't use these because of that and I don't join discussions where this kind of denigration is used.

I consider it like this: If, "yes, it's an insult because girls are lesser than boys and being called a girl is an insult" then I don't use it. The same applies to using male gender as an insult, even though there are much fewer male gender insults than female.

Your gender should never be used as an insult. We have no control over our gender, it is not an insult to be one or the other and it's very ignorant, since people should be criticized or insulted for their behaviors, not their physical descriptions. Your physical appearance or gender is not hurtful to anyone, only your behaviors are.

I refuse to communicate with people who are so ignorant that they resort to gender insults.

I suppose one would have to be a real dick to call someone a pussy. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-02-2016, 07:00 PM
(09-02-2016 09:17 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A real man can drive a Prius?

This, from a Michigander?

Real men care about the environment.

Yes, we do. And a Prius is nowhere as green as it is made out to be. Rare earth metals are strip-mined in China, leaving gaping holes in their environment and are not recoverable due to their distributed nature in the batteries, at their end of life. That, and the electricity to run ia Prius is simply generated elsewhere by a coal-fired power plant. Also, there is that "Smug" to worry about.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-02-2016, 07:26 PM
(11-02-2016 07:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:17 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Real men care about the environment.

Yes, we do. And a Prius is nowhere as green as it is made out to be. Rare earth metals are strip-mined in China, leaving gaping holes in their environment and are not recoverable due to their distributed nature in the batteries, at their end of life. That, and the electricity to run ia Prius is simply generated elsewhere by a coal-fired power plant. Also, there is that "Smug" to worry about.

What the environment really needs is more (non nuclear) war. As I've said before, a bullet can erase more potential carbon footprints than a lifetime of environmentalism. People always fight the idea, though, as they've become selfishly attached to a state of not being dead Tongue

'Murican Canadian
11-02-2016, 08:08 PM
(11-02-2016 03:51 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 02:15 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  depends what you mean weaker? Also men are more emotional than women, however men deal with emotions buy hiding them, while females will communicate to deal with their emotions. I lost the source that showed that females are ,on average, way better with social and communication skills than men. I mean even within the guys I know, even being raised to express emotions, they don't do it often. Hell I am one of them. This is why you might see females express there emotions more, but they don't go off the chain like men do.

... But those are generally rather weak and narrow effects.

I seem to recall noting this before, but while there are a great many variables that correlate with gender in aggregate, the variance is generally high enough that even a statistically significant population difference is insignificant as a predictor on an individual level.
(leaving entirely aside the innate vs learned factors...)

I tend to be careful with those seeing as i have learned a bias from both political wings when it comes to this, more the left than the right, though the right will do it almost as often.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-02-2016, 05:57 AM
(11-02-2016 07:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:17 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Real men care about the environment.

Quite true.

In fact - the reality of it is that driving an older vehicle for as long as possible is more environmentally friendly than buying a new car that has "lower emissions". When you consider what environmental damage is being done by constructing a new vehicle - the slight offset of "cleaner burning" rarely, if ever justifies the purchase of a new vehicle as being "environmentally friendly".

So me with my 20 year old Saturns (getting 35 mpg) am probably the "greenest" mofo on the block....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-02-2016, 06:03 AM
oh....

I looked it up.... FUCK PRIUS ---

1995 Saturn SC2 -- 2388 lbs - 1.9 L 4 cylinder at 125 hp.

2016 Prius -- 3010 lbs - 1.8 L 4 cylinder at 121 hp.

HAH....

Get on a diet Prius....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post