What Does Being An "Atheist" Mean.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
RE: What Does Being An "Atheist" Mean.
(10-09-2017 04:17 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Being an atheist means that you never have to sit on a rock hard wooden pew, or listen to a poorly played organ ever again.

You must not have children. So no "recitals" or other school-related "talent" events. Yeah, no pews involved, but trust me, plenty of poorly played organ, piano, saxophone, singing, flute, "skits" etc. etc. etc. Frankly, you have not heard a poorly played organ until you've heard it elementary school style.

And yeah, we thought we were done with all that and then wham! Now we're in grandparent zone and it started up in friggin DAYCARE, even BEFORE kindergarten.

Just smile and clap everyone, smile and clap.[Image: hands-clapping-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
10-09-2017, 04:15 PM
(10-09-2017 03:47 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 04:17 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Being an atheist means that you never have to sit on a rock hard wooden pew, or listen to a poorly played organ ever again.

You must not have children. So no "recitals" or other school-related "talent" events. Yeah, no pews involved, but trust me, plenty of poorly played organ, piano, saxophone, singing, flute, "skits" etc. etc. etc. Frankly, you have not heard a poorly played organ until you've heard it elementary school style.

And yeah, we thought we were done with all that and then wham! Now we're in grandparent zone and it started up in friggin DAYCARE, even BEFORE kindergarten.

Just smile and clap everyone, smile and clap.[Image: hands-clapping-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif]

I know where you're coming from believe me... I have four kids Big Grin

Get your own bleeding hymn book
10-09-2017, 05:41 PM
(10-09-2017 02:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 02:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But if you happen to be good at it, it's gives me secret satisfaction they pay me (well) to do it. Tongue

Do you slip in the odd blue note here and there as a nod to the devil?

Not so much. Some of the Episcopal congregations in the US are highly literate, musically. They actually sing hymns in 4 parts. We have one of those places. If I alter the harmony, it clashes with the parts. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-09-2017, 05:46 PM
(10-09-2017 03:47 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  

Yes. Actually, it also depends on your definition of "organ". The last church service I was in, they had a small-ish but properly voiced and maintained actual pipe organ and the organist knew how to play it at least for liturgical purposes.

THAT's organ music.

What ISN'T organ music is what most people think it is: a broken-down Hammmond or 12 oscillator divider organ with nothing but flute tone, strained out through cheap speakers and played by someone drafted for the purpose who has training only in piano. People rightly hate such abominations, but sadly think all organ music is inherently like that.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
10-09-2017, 05:47 PM
It means someone who is discerning enough not to believe in stupid fucking fairy tales.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-09-2017, 06:27 PM
It means you're applying logic evenly to deities.
Theists apply logic to all gods except one, being an atheist means you haven't made an exception for the deity of your personal convenience.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
13-09-2017, 03:13 PM
(08-09-2017 04:49 PM)Rachel Wrote:  What’s another word for “thesaurus”?

"synonomy"

Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
13-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Unfortunately, if you what to listen to a well played organ, you will likely have to weather the rock hard wooden pew, since many of the best organs, and an uncomfortable number of organ concerts and recitals, are in churches.

I speak from bun-bruising music school experience. Ohmy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
13-09-2017, 03:42 PM
(13-09-2017 03:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  

Unfortunately, if you what to listen to a well played organ, you will likely have to weather the rock hard wooden pew, since many of the best organs, and an uncomfortable number of organ concerts and recitals, are in churches.

You should only go to uppidy ones. They have well-padded pews. Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Being an OUT atheist means that.

..... unless you sell your soul on E-Bay.

(13-09-2017 03:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-09-2017 03:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Unfortunately, if you what to listen to a well played organ, you will likely have to weather the rock hard wooden pew, since many of the best organs, and an uncomfortable number of organ concerts and recitals, are in churches.

You should only go to uppidy ones. They have well-padded pews. Laugh out load

"Well-padded pews" needs to be a euphemism for something.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail