What Does Being An "Atheist" Mean.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2017, 05:04 PM
RE: What Does Being An "Atheist" Mean.
Being an atheist means I can read any book or consider any idea without feelings of fear or guilt. There is nothing to fear and everything to gain from an honest pursuit of the truth. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-09-2017, 01:02 AM
(13-09-2017 03:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 04:17 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Being an atheist means that you never have to sit on a rock hard wooden pew, or listen to a poorly played organ ever again.

Unfortunately, if you what to listen to a well played organ, you will likely have to weather the rock hard wooden pew, since many of the best organs, and an uncomfortable number of organ concerts and recitals, are in churches.

I speak from bun-bruising music school experience. Ohmy

The last time I was dragged into church I remember wondering whether the organist had been at the cooking sherry.

Get your own bleeding hymn book
[+] 1 user Likes Thedemonbarber's post
14-09-2017, 01:23 AM
(10-09-2017 04:17 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  Being an atheist means that you never have to sit on a rock hard wooden pew, or listen to a poorly played organ ever again.

Except when your son marries a devout Catholic whose dad has the keys to the church's front door.
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post
14-09-2017, 04:53 AM
Being an atheist (when I was still a working man) meant that Sundays were really my day off. Of course, now that I'm retired, Sundays are irrelevant. Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-09-2017, 05:09 AM
For me it's a combination of everything and nothing.

Everything: As I have the option to think for myself, which reflects how I treat others. Having the mere options to read into anything I like, any science subject mainly, means I can learn about things and/or research into other areas I don't know much about. Due to all of this I have no prejudice in me whatsoever, and have grown up in the mind set of "we're all people, so lets get on with it".

Nothing in so far as: It's all I've ever known, and to me having religion is kinda random [not meaning to cause offence to those that do have some religion], but also that being an Atheist is just "life" for me. So I don't really get anything out of it. I wish there was some sort of club card were I could get money for just being a regular person, but alas I don't haha.

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
14-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Being an atheist is not worrying about hell any time I feel doubt.

Being an atheist means I can't blame all of the world's problems on one single entity, nor do I look to one to fix them all. It means not insisting on shoehorning the world into black and white dichotomies.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
14-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Being an atheist means I can pursue a healthy sex life with consenting partners or solitary pleasures without any sense of guilt. Thumbsup
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Being an atheist means I can live a meaningful life without any threat of punishment from an imaginary being. I can also raise two children free from the abuse of religious indoctrination.
[+] 6 users Like Rachel's post
14-09-2017, 09:09 PM
It means leaving more opium for the others to use. Can't say that I miss this particular drug though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Not believing in gods.

[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post