What Does Being An "Atheist" Mean.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2017, 11:20 PM
RE: What Does Being An "Atheist" Mean.
For me, being an atheist means there's no god and nothing supernatural at all. I miss ghosts. Oddly, I can still be spooked by a creepy movie and have nightmares- I wake up and laugh at the cognitive dissonance.

It means me and my species are fully accountable: there ain't nothin gonna fix the fuck ups in this world but us. There's no 'divine justice'. There's just us. And I really wish the other two thirds or more of the species were woke to that so they'd stop waiting for god and act on it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Sushisnake's post
14-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Being an atheist means that a majority of people in my country regard me as inherently untrustworthy and incapable of morality on the grounds that I do not believe their fables, and that for this I deserve a fate worse than death.

..... shiny happy people holding hands....
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
15-09-2017, 04:20 AM
For me, the biggest advantage of being an atheist is that the world finally makes sense.
[+] 9 users Like Thoreauvian's post
15-09-2017, 04:56 AM
Late to the party: I don't refer to myself as an atheist. I state that I hold atheistic views. This stems from the first 55 years of my life, the days when I would say "I'm not religious enough to call myself an atheist."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
15-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Means you don't believe in the existence of God or God's.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
15-09-2017, 02:23 PM
The flashlight selectively illuminated vague colorless monoliths beyond the chained entrance. I turned it off so we could see the stars more clearly which was the purpose for driving up the dark quiet road well away from the city lights. The car door thunked as my wife closed it.
"One thing about being an atheist, ..." I started as she walked over. Her shoes lightly crunch the dirt driveway. She believes in God but is more superstitious than religious.
"Huh?" I hear confusion in her voice. Clicking the flashlight back on I sweep the area with the beam while she peers at the revelation.
"Graveyards don't freak me out at all."

OK, in truth, I did that just to get a reaction. I really did feel absolutely no uneasiness at all about walking around in the vicinity of human remains at midnight. No dread, or foreboding, or chills up my spine. A shiver perhaps, because it was chilly. The area was perfect for viewing the stars. Something special when you live in the heart of a big city. Graveyards should be open to stargazers.

In philosophical conversations on Youtube, Quora, etc. I call myself "a faithless unbeliever". Makes it kinda hard for theists to deal with that by telling me I can't prove there is no god or coming up with WLC's nonsensical: '...if atheism is true...'.
[+] 2 users Like grejen's post
15-09-2017, 03:57 PM
It means that I will deliberately, and with great relish, include some things in my Middle Earth stories which will shock and disgust Christian fundies. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
19-09-2017, 03:50 PM
(13-09-2017 03:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-09-2017 03:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Unfortunately, if you what to listen to a well played organ, you will likely have to weather the rock hard wooden pew, since many of the best organs, and an uncomfortable number of organ concerts and recitals, are in churches.

I speak from bun-bruising music school experience. Ohmy

You should only go to uppidy ones. They have well-padded pews. Laugh out load

I'm not worthy. No

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
19-09-2017, 03:52 PM
(14-09-2017 01:02 AM)Thedemonbarber Wrote:  The last time I was dragged into church I remember wondering whether the organist had been at the cooking sherry.

The organists I know mostly prefer single malt. Yes

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
21-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Being an atheist means I don't have to go through a bunch of mental gymnastics to explain why my holy book contains:
  • Blatantly, observably wrong science.
  • Blatantly, observably wrong math.
  • Stories about God killing children because he was mad at their parents.
  • Promises from God that you'll be punished for the sins of your great great grandfather.
  • Commandments to kill everyone from conquered tribes, except virgin females, who are to be kept.
  • Commandments to kill rape victims if they don't yell for help, because they must have wanted it.
  • Commandments for unbetrothed virgins to marry their rapists, because they're now unmarriable, and we can't have their poor father stuck with them for the rest of his life.
  • Infinite punishments for finite sins.
  • The notion that God chooses the elect and reprobate, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Jettisoning that shit was the best thing I ever did for myself. Being able to drop that level of depression is amazing.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post