What Exactly Does "Objective" Morality Mean?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2018, 06:25 PM
(05-02-2018 06:18 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 05:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You’re the one that indicated that reason and our evolutionary makeup serve as the foundation of our morality.

But have yet to expand on what the next reasonable conclusion after recognizing you have feelings and don’t like to be harmed is.

I indicated the conclusion I draw based on this, clearly you disagree,so let’s hear you contrary reasonable moral conclusion based on the factors you earlier outlined?

Reason is the basis of morality based on the foundations of our emotional reactions to things that happen.

But History show us that reason and rationality can be subverted. Can you think of an irrational system that works to create a sound moral system? Now the question becomes, how do we deal with irrational people? Like Islamic extremists, Nazis or irrational religions?

You still haven’t showed where or how reason is the basis of morality.

I have an emotional reaction to the thought of myself being harmed, from this how do I reason to a moral view?

You’re missing several steps in your claim.

I would think it would be by appealing to something like the golden rule, but you disagreed with that. So I would like to here the alternative path you seem to be referring to.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2018, 09:16 PM
RE: What Exactly Does "Objective" Morality Mean?
(05-02-2018 06:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 06:18 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Reason is the basis of morality based on the foundations of our emotional reactions to things that happen.

But History show us that reason and rationality can be subverted. Can you think of an irrational system that works to create a sound moral system? Now the question becomes, how do we deal with irrational people? Like Islamic extremists, Nazis or irrational religions?

You still haven’t showed where or how reason is the basis of morality.

I have an emotional reaction to the thought of myself being harmed, from this how do I reason to a moral view?

You’re missing several steps in your claim.

I would think it would be by appealing to something like the golden rule, but you disagreed with that. So I would like to here the alternative path you seem to be referring to.

It is easy. Evolution has given us ability to have strong emotions whrn things happen to us. And has given us large brains that can reason. These two things are basis of any successful moral system. But we have to reason competently.

Where do you think morality comes from? Fairies? Old books of myths. Found under a cabbage leaf?

To create a rational and reasonable moral system, it makes sense to look at history, to see our many large scale failures and successes. To avoid the former and make every better systems that are inspired and informed by our successes. Really, is this so hard for you to understand?

Of course, then it gets hard. Why has Mexico sunk into drug cartel violence and how do they eliminate that? Thumping a Bible at Mexico won't work, the Catholic Church has been doing that for centuries. Knowing that moral evil is evil isn't hard, doing something about it is. But we can't just wave our hands and abandon logic and we can't embrace irrationality and superstition.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
05-02-2018, 10:13 PM
(05-02-2018 06:18 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  ... irrational religions?

"irrational religions" is redundant. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-02-2018, 04:53 AM
(05-02-2018 09:16 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  It is easy. Evolution has given us ability to have strong emotions whrn things happen to us. And has given us large brains that can reason. These two things are basis of any successful moral system. But we have to reason competently.
Okay I recognize that I have strong emotions when things happen to me.

What’s the next step in developing a moral view? What moral/logical inference should I draw from
the fact that I have strong emotions when things happen to me?

I have a strong emotion when someone steals from me, how does this lead me to a moral view, such as I ought not steal from others? Since you negated the appeal to the golden rule?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-02-2018, 07:31 AM
(06-02-2018 04:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What’s the next step in developing a moral view? What moral/logical inference should I draw from the fact that I have strong emotions when things happen to me?

Take an Ethics class. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.