What Happens when America can no longer feed the world?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: What Happens when America can no longer feed the world?
(06-07-2014 08:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 08:24 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Good to know there are at least some around.

We've got a few here to alleviate drought, and they are pretty effective at their jobs, but unfortunately they very energy-intensive.. and we get most of our energy from coal...

That is the problem. Cheap water is running out. No cheap water no cheap crops. No cheap crops no breadbasket. This is one of the catastrophic problems that are all going to hit within the next couple of generations. Peak Oil Peak Water Peak Food will all hit within the next 30-50 years depending on how they are dealt with. Considering the current trend is to not deal with them expect the lower end of that scale.

Seems to me like desal plants should be considered a long-term investment, which would pay itself back over time. The biggest issue facing their use is their huge energy and initial production costs, but outside of those, I don't really see a reason to not use them and do so in significant numbers; they can provide much needed water which can be used for farming and general purposes like drinking and caring for obnoxiously water consuming gardens.

It's not incredibly cheap at the off-set but it's better than nothing at all.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Humans are at their creative best when survival is at stake. This lull in catastrophies has made us stale.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
07-07-2014, 08:04 AM
(07-07-2014 12:17 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Humans are at their creative best when survival is at stake. This lull in catastrophies has made us stale.

I think problems on a macro scale that would require the cooperation of more or less the entire human race are not problems that human beings have ever yet had to face.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
(07-07-2014 08:04 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 12:17 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Humans are at their creative best when survival is at stake. This lull in catastrophies has made us stale.

I think problems on a macro scale that would require the cooperation of more or less the entire human race are not problems that human beings have ever yet had to face.

That's a little dismissive of our ancestors out of Africa history, ice ages, wars, floods, plagues and the 2 world wars. I'm sure any one of these would eclipse the damage part of one continent stopping grain production would cause.

07-07-2014, 11:57 AM
(07-07-2014 11:49 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 08:04 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I think problems on a macro scale that would require the cooperation of more or less the entire human race are not problems that human beings have ever yet had to face.

That's a little dismissive of our ancestors out of Africa history, ice ages, wars, floods, plagues and the 2 world wars. I'm sure any one of these would eclipse the damage part of one continent stopping grain production would cause.

Except it's not just one continent stopping grain production. It's the entire world that's in the long emergency. The grain production is just one very very very small part of a much larger problem.
07-07-2014, 12:03 PM
(07-07-2014 11:49 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 08:04 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I think problems on a macro scale that would require the cooperation of more or less the entire human race are not problems that human beings have ever yet had to face.

You'd be wrong. We are incredibly more interconnected now than we were during any of those event. That was small group survival not species wide cooperation. The solution to most of those problems was migration, the 2 world wars do not really fit on that list as it left most of the planet unaffected. So now we have reached the point were packing up and moving is no longer an option. We have already settled all the prime real estate and hacking the rainforest down just exacerbates the problems without solving anything even short term. The current population worldwide is untenable maybe by as much as 200%. There are a lot of convergent problems in the near future that we must begin to prepare for now to have any chance of coming out the other side with civilization intact.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-07-2014, 12:44 PM
What happens when America can no longer feed the world?

How am I not seeing the problem?

[Image: mcd1.jpg]
To:
[Image: cafejapone_039.jpg]

07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
(07-07-2014 12:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What happens when America can no longer feed the world?

How am I not seeing the problem?

[Image: mcd1.jpg]
To:
[Image: cafejapone_039.jpg]

I think you are forgetting this

[Image: 00290-24.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
So soylent green will be primarily murkin flavour.

07-07-2014, 08:46 PM
(07-07-2014 08:44 PM)sporehux Wrote:  So soylent green will be primarily murkin flavour.

Eventually but it will start in the poorer nations. The Arab spring began because of food prices increasing.