What Hooked You on Sci-Fi?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 12:24 AM by Dark Light.)
What Hooked You on Sci-Fi?
After a lengthy, and super-nerdy debate with Rev (ladies, sorry you missed out, it was hot action) on a Star Trek issue, I've been thinking about how I got started in Sci-Fi. I do remember watching TNG with my father at about the age of eight or so. It was probably the most "liberal" thing he ever did, and he wasn't into it nearly as much as me. But before that, I can remember watching re-runs of Lost in Space from about the age of three or four from our very limited selection of tv channels. That is where it all began for me.

There is no accounting for the taste though, especially of a child, as I really liked The Lawrence Welk Show. My parents hated it, but I threw a fit to watch it. Laugh out load

How'd you wind up in the Sci-Fi Genre?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 11:11 PM
RE: What hooked on Sci-Fi?
When I was a kid we used to watch the original Star Trek on channel twelve every night (reruns, fuck im not that old)

When I was a bit older it was TNG on sci-fi as well as quantum leap. (I'm probably the only one who knows that show)
13-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Yep, probably Lost In Space did it for me Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
13-01-2014, 11:15 PM
The original Star Wars, in the theater, for 99 cents. I was hooked for life, though I'm not a fanboy or anything that severe, but I do love sci-fi, such as Star Trek movies, TNG TV show and the Matrix Trilogy.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 11:27 PM
RE: What Hooked Youcon Sci-Fi?
(13-01-2014 11:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  When I was a kid we used to watch the original Star Trek on channel twelve every night (reruns, fuck im not that old)

When I was a bit older it was TNG on sci-fi as well as quantum leap. (I'm probably the only one who knows that show)

I watched Quantum Leap religiously with my Dad as well. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
13-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Mate gave me a collection of .txt files in the 90s Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-01-2014, 12:03 AM
My Dad's favourite movie growing up was The Last Starfighter[1]. I grew up with science fiction.

[1] http://youtu.be/H7NaxBxFWSo

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
14-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Well I obviously watched Star Wars just like everyone else. But that didn`t really get me that interested in Sci Fi.

I guess later when I read novels by Stanislav Lem I got more interested but prefered the soviet era dystopian tales of a nuclear wasteland and a mechanised future with no humanity. Probbaly more because of their ingenius way of critizisng the soviet regime rather than because of the Sci Fi setting.

I guess most of the Sci Fi entertainment I enjoy comes from videogames.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
14-01-2014, 06:35 AM
RE: What Hooked You on Sci-Fi?
My Dad watched Star Trek every chance he could which led to watching Nova- Cosmos every weekend. Movies like Planet of the Apes, and that movie (I forget the name) where the doctors are shrunk down and injected into a patient. All of those movies just kept us going until things like Star Wars, Quantum Leap, X files, ET, Close Encounters of the 3rd kind. As a kid I used to watch Land of the Lost. Back to the Future.

space/time travel shows and movies- I'm not sure how anyone escapes sci-fi.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2014, 06:57 AM
RE: What Hooked You on Sci-Fi?
Books by Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, and Clarke.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post