What I Like About ... You.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 08:24 PM
RE: What I Like About ... You.
(11-07-2016 07:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not long after I joined, KC did a "post here and I'll tell you what I think of you" epic thread.

As a n00b, it was very useful for getting to know people (if, in retrospect, it was a little bit too polite sometimes).

This is not one of those threads.

This thread is about exercising my Stark-given right to freedom of expression to show my appreciation of some of you, intermittently, as the whim takes me, without being limited to 250 characters.

There's only so much one can convey in a rep comment and also my innate pettiness and vanity prevents me from updating a rep comment if I was the first to notice new talent.

Feel free to take advantage of this thread to add your own extended-rep comments.

Big Grin

Evil_monster

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 08:55 AM
(11-07-2016 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  ...
How the fuck are we supposed to do this DLJ? It's too much like hard work. Dammit.

That's kinda the point. It's supposed to take some effort... at least, a little more effort than the 250 characters allowed in a rep comment.

Slow and FC managed it ... are you a lesser mortal than they?
:throws down gauntlet and runs away:

Heywood was complaining about not having the same access as everyone else to express himself. He can here. He won't though, because he's mean-spirited and would rather just have an excuse to whinge and whine... no fun for him if he can't play the victim.

Angel

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Y'all are just too kind! Especially you DLJ, thank ya kindly! Jesus, I'm gonna feel a feeling at this rate. Tongue

(11-07-2016 10:33 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Omg, how can something so brutal be so beautiful? That's was one big can of whoopass opened. I wonder whose soul it was that got crushed in such a magnificent way?
I actually can't remember which thread that is but my gut reaction is that was at Free in his bloody stupid UFO meltdown.

Of all the insults I have every given I think my personal favorite was when I told Haywood (I think? How sad is it that these trollish wankers are so interchangeable in my head. Tongue) to get anally fisted to death by a gorilla wearing Pineapple gloves.

I gotta think of who to talk about now!

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 10 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
13-07-2016, 01:20 AM
I like WD because he's a no BS kind of guy and tells it straight.

Funny too. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-08-2016, 11:41 PM
I'll preface this one a little preamble:

It's oft been said that "this forum is not for everyone" and also that it is.

The contradiction is highlighted on our 'Welcome' page:
welcome page Wrote:Please note, that this forum isn't just for atheists; it's for everyone, no matter what race, religion, gender or sexual preference.
We have an open door policy and this level of freedom is not to everyone's taste.

The forum team's job is to make sure the ship doesn't capsize; we're not about steering the ship (some of you may have noticed that point of view expressed by Stark if you caught the forum lounge interview conducted by A2).

Having said that, I'd be lying if I said that as a forum member (not a moderator) I didn't have my own personal preferences.

For example, I don't go to the gaming section because it's quite simply a language I can't speak.

I'm no scientist so I read with voracious interest but I don't have much to contribute.

I struggle to empathise with some of you because I rejected the god-hypothesis at a very young age and I didn't suffer your evangelical nightmare ... so I know I'm not going add much to a conversation about de-conversion or be much help in the PI&S section.

But sometimes, I can empathise with your struggles because ... well y'know ... we've all been through some shitty times, right?

So I get that there's going to be some parts of TTA that are not for me; some things I just have to tolerate or ignore.

But there's one thing that really Censored ...
I'm not in Vosur's league but I'm a pedant when it comes to written language. Spoken language evolves ... it's memetic and it's unstoppable; no problem... but written language is a code/decode method of communication and laziness in this regard is, to me, like saying "I don't care whether you understand me or not!".

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be perfect all the time (I'm sure as hell not) and allowances are made for non-English speakers and those with dyspepsia but there are some here (and I won't name them) who are beyond SMH and stray into the FML territory.

Every so often it gets to me enough for me to have moan about it but generally I suffer these slings and arrows and skip over their posts.

But (starting a sentence/paragraph with 'but' for irony) there is one exception.

There is one person whose posts are often difficult to read but read them I will ...

What I like about ... ClydeLee

ClydeLee is, in my view, one of the most underrated members of TTA. His writing style is that of someone who types as he speaks in a kinda stream of consciousness with little regard for parenthesis ... and this is often hard to decode.

But it's very much worth it.

There are nuggets of truth in there that always make me think hard. So, if you're not in the mood to think hard there's a tendency to skip to the next post.

Perhaps I'm biased because there is (I think) a philosophical and perhaps politically affinity but I have realised over the years that ClydeLee has read, digested and understood, way more than I have and has perspectives from which I can learn a lot.

I have a mental image of him that I'll briefly describe:

I don't often dip into the balls/vagina thread because:
a) I prefer to have a mental image of you guys rather than see an actual image ('cause let's face it, some of you are downright fugly)
b) I'm not keeping an FBI file on everyone (unlike Girly)
... but I have seen a picture of ClydeLee.

So, given that one visual and combined with the words I read, in my head, he's kinda like ... Jesus!

Yeah, I know ... but not in a short, Palestinian-Jew, conjuring-trickster, kinda way.

It's more like he's a long-haired, desert-dwelling, philosophically astute, hippie guru... the aesthetic Jesus.

I imagine him with a camp-fire entourage of hippie-chicks who sit at his feet waiting for moist droplets of parable sauce to nourish their auras.

Or something like that.

I think that got more weird than I intended. Sorry.

Unsure

Anyway, to one of my favourite voices in the wilderness ... Thank you, brother.

Hug

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
06-08-2016, 07:31 AM
What I like about... Banjo

He is well read in ancient and not so ancient history. Being knowledgeable about christianity also is a plus in my book, as showing believers that their religion is far from unique is something that I like to see. There is also shared interest in literature - someone who like Russian authors can't be bad Wink There is more reasons but sadly my eloquence has limits, guess not really caring about English lessons wasn't a smart choice.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
06-08-2016, 07:58 AM
(05-08-2016 11:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm not saying that everyone needs to perfect all the time (I'm sure as hell not) and allowances are made for non-English speakers and those with dyspepsia but there are some here (and I won't name them) who are beyond SMH and stray into the FML territory.

Not sure if dyspepsia was intentional or not but it sure was funny.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
06-08-2016, 08:12 AM
It's been a while since I talked to him, but I'll extended-rep GoodWithoutGod

GoodWithoutGod is a fantastic contributor to this site. I can't count how many times I've gone to his resource thread either as a direct reference, or just to read for fun. He's well informed, well written, and he gets his ideas across pretty well.

In addition to that, I have a tremendous amount of respect for everything he's gone through in his life and gotten to where he is, now. Reading about his first marriage is heartbreaking, and highlights so many of the theistic questions I've comfortably asked from the comfort of my own life; he's lived it. He's been in the military for a couple decades, and is dedicating a lot of time to studying the history of Christianity in depth in a setting where the vast majority of people around him just accept it as true. I'm not sure how much flak he catches for being a vocal minority, but he sticks with it.

Speaking of the military, like I said, he's also served for over two decades. Thanks for that. I appreciate your service. Again, thanks for all of your hard work compiling and maintaining your resource thread. I'll frequently pop into a thread with my two cents and perhaps a wiki link, and you'll follow up with some actual cited research. Keep up the great work!
[+] 7 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-08-2016, 09:35 AM
RocketSurgeon76 amazes me. He knows a hell of a lot about a hell of a lot. He puts it all together in a sensible manner. He almost never loses his cool when he's dealing with one of the twatwaffles here ... but when he does, that's entertaining and educational too.

When you add to that what he's learnt from his life experiences, how he can grow past bitterness to be who he is is just astounding.
[+] 9 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Girlyman. A programming-motherfucker.

RocketSurgeon. Knowledge. Humility. Empathy.

Thumpalumpacus. A weird name. Devil's advocate.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post